DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

2013- 86 carries for 242yds.  2.8ypc. 

In six games because (drum roll), he's been banged up. Only gotten more than 15 carries in a game once, thanks in part to the offense trailing more often than is ideal and needing to chuck the ball.

2013- 86 carries for 242yds.  2.8ypc. 

In six games because (drum roll), he's been banged up. Only gotten more than 15 carries in a game once, thanks in part to the offense trailing more often than is ideal and needing to chuck the ball.

Also because he's sucked and the running game has not worked at all.  You can't use the "he's banged up" excuse.  If you're playing, you're playing.  It's football, everybody is banged up.  He hasn't had a single meaningful performance this season before he got "banged up" or after.  His best game was against Miami and that was 74yds and it took him 27 carries to get there. 

He's no Reggie Bush.

Yeah, he didn't have to give back a Heisman because his parents refused to buy their own house. ^_^
College players not being paid is the worst thing about American sports.

Completely agree on this.  But fuck Reggie Bush and that fat faced QB as well. 

• Like 1

He's no Reggie Bush.

Yeah, he didn't have to give back a Heisman because his parents refused to buy their own house. ^_^
College players not being paid is the worst thing about American sports.

Completely agree on this.  But fuck Reggie Bush and that fat faced QB as well. 

Sorry, but they DO get paid; the scholarship is worth tens of thousands a year depending on the school. The amount of players that can be argued that deserve more can be counted on one, maybe two hands any given year. I'm not going to cry for them. . . .None of this says the NCAA or college sports in general is good or  maybe even defensible, but pay the star QB, you automatically are paying the third string center, not to mention the women's teams, or lawsuits galore. Do you want to be like Grambling? Pay the players more than a scholarship and that's the future. . .

• Like 1

Yes, let these kids batter their brains out for tens of thousands of dollars while everyone else makes fucking MILLIONS from them.

A) No one makes them do it. B ) What they do with the educational opportunity is on them. C) The NCAA is no more broken that our education system in general, no less maybe, but certainly no more. D) You want to let Johnny Football sign a contract that differs income until after he graduates? Fine with me, but an opposing player might. E) There is NO WAY to reform to system that won't blow it up.

Brandon Meriweather responded rather directly when asked about Brandon Marshall's comments he should be kicked out of the league.

"He feel like I need to be kicked out of the league? I feel like people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out, too. You tell me who you’d rather have: Somebody who play aggressive on the field, or somebody who beat up their girlfriend?"

That case against Marshall was dismissed last September and Marshall was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Meriweather on tackling: “To be honest, man, you’ve just got to go low now, man. You’ve got to end people’s careers, you know? You’ve got to tear people’s ACLs and mess up people’s knees now. You can’t hit them high no more. You’ve just got to go low.

Posted Image

You're probably one of those drones that thinks pro athletes are overpaid, aren't you?

The problem is the moment you pay one player in one sport a 'salary' of any kind you deal with all of the following (and probably a ton more I can't think of off hand)

1) Competitive imbalance when one college offers a higher salary than another can afford

2) Should there be salary caps?

3) The larger question of what the purpose of college is and why some students get paid and not others

4) Labor relations. Are the players contracted 'freelancers' or are they 'employees' of the university (and thus eligible for all benefits thereto)

5) Labor relations. Can these paid players now organize to form a union?

6) What are the pay scales?  Does everyone get the same salary?  Do some get more?

7) Jealousy. Some kid at Northern Idaho State who makes $100 a game plays Texas Tech and gets a free lick at Johnny Manziel who's making $2500 a game.  ..And then he "accidentally" spears his knee, 

8) How should payment work? Should it be a revenue sharing structure or just a flat salary?

9) What sports get their athletes paid? Trick question, the answer is "Title IX".  

I'm not saying that the players don't deserve a cut of the pie, but the answer "Just pay them" grossly oversimplifies what is a very difficult and tedious question. I sincerely doubt college athletes will be getting any kind of pay/stipend/revenue sharing within at least the next 25 years.  Certainly not without the courts getting invoved -- before and after.

You're probably one of those drones that thinks pro athletes are overpaid, aren't you?

The problem is the moment you pay one player in one sport a 'salary' of any kind you deal with all of the following (and probably a ton more I can't think of off hand)

1) Competitive imbalance when one college offers a higher salary than another can afford

3) The larger question of what the purpose of college is and why some students get paid and not others

4) Labor relations. Are the players contracted 'freelancers' or are they 'employees' of the university (and thus eligible for all benefits thereto)

6) What are the pay scales?  Does everyone get the same salary?  Do some get more?

7) Jealousy. Some kid at Northern Idaho State who makes $100 a game plays Texas Tech and gets a free lick at Johnny Manziel who's making $2500 a game.  ..And then he "accidentally" spears his knee, 

8) How should payment work? Should it be a revenue sharing structure or just a flat salary?

9) What sports get their athletes paid? Trick question, the answer is "Title IX".  

I'm not saying that the players don't deserve a cut of the pie, but the answer "Just pay them" grossly oversimplifies what is a very difficult and tedious question. I sincerely doubt college athletes will be getting any kind of pay/stipend/revenue sharing within at least the next 25 years.  Certainly not without the courts getting invoved -- before and after.

My response, unfortunately, is grossy simple - I'd rather Johnny Football was making good money instead of Texas getting it all.

My response, unfortunately, is grossy simple - I'd rather Johnny Football was making good money instead of Texas getting it all.

Add another question to the equation, namely if they changed policy and by some magic wand could pay players without any of the complications above, what would stop anyone who ever played college sports at any level from suing for "back pay"? And do we stop at I-A sports? Or go down to NAIA level. Ludicrous perhaps, but there have be dumber lawsuits that have won in court.  You want to slice the pie further? Fine with me, and make the Athletic programs contribute more to student funds and the like would be ideal.

As for pro athletes getting paid? In an ideal world I would love to deflate salaries, rights fees and the like to make tickets cheaper, but that genie is long since loose and is not going back. The players should soak the owners for whatever they can, especially since most owners are miserable selfish pricks anyway. . . .

As for pro athletes getting paid? In an ideal world I would love to deflate salaries, rights fees and the like to make tickets cheaper, but that genie is long since loose and is not going back. The players should soak the owners for whatever they can, especially since most owners are miserable selfish pricks anyway. . . .

Agree with all this.

I forgot how idiotic and litigious Americans are, while there are obstacles, frankly it is the only fair thing for college athletes to get paid.

I would like to see student athletes be given the ability to promote themselves--be it video games, autograph sessions, whatever.  That wouldn't be the school paying them, that would be them earning money on their own.  If you're Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel or Jadaveon Clowney, you'll rake in good money.  They should be able to do that.

Give everyone the right to do it.  If you happen to play in a less popular sport, this could be a chance to promote yourself and your team while making a little cash on the side.  I gotta believe some volleyball player knows a thing or two about self-promotion and could find a way to generate income.

I do realize that with video games, you will run into the issue of whether the athlete can wear the school uniforms.  It's a complicated situation.  But something needs to be done.

A true minor football league would be ideal, but that's another can of worms that no one wants to open.

• Like 2

Sorry, but they DO get paid; the scholarship is worth tens of thousands a year depending on the school. The amount of players that can be argued that deserve more can be counted on one, maybe two hands any given year. I'm not going to cry for them. . . .None of this says the NCAA or college sports in general is good or  maybe even defensible, but pay the star QB, you automatically are paying the third string center, not to mention the women's teams, or lawsuits galore. Do you want to be like Grambling? Pay the players more than a scholarship and that's the future. . .

If they're getting "paid" so much, why do the coaches not get "paid" similarly?  You can't buy a pair of shoes or a shirt with a scholarship.  For that you gotta go get a job that pays actual cash except, oh yeah, players aren't allowed to have jobs

There's also the fact that not every player is on a full scholarship.  Lots of starters, including a whole bunch of kickers, aren't on scholarship.

And that's not even addressing the whole licensing deal where the NCAA sells player gear - remember the NCAA's own web site returned results if you searched for "Johnny Manziel" on it - but giving the players none of the cut.

And all of that ignores the fundamental unfairness of players not being allowed to market themselves.  OK, fine, you don't wanna have the NCAA pay players.  Cool.  No problem.  Tell me why Manziel shouldn't be able to sit down for an afternoon and sign some photos to make some $$$? 

• Like 1

If they're getting "paid" so much, why do the coaches not get "paid" similarly?  You can't buy a pair of shoes or a shirt with a scholarship.  For that you gotta go get a job that pays actual cash except, oh yeah, players aren't allowed to have jobs

There's also the fact that not every player is on a full scholarship.  Lots of starters, including a whole bunch of kickers, aren't on scholarship.

And that's not even addressing the whole licensing deal where the NCAA sells player gear - remember the NCAA's own web site returned results if you searched for "Johnny Manziel" on it - but giving the players none of the cut.

And all of that ignores the fundamental unfairness of players not being allowed to market themselves.  OK, fine, you don't wanna have the NCAA pay players.  Cool.  No problem.  Tell me why Manziel shouldn't be able to sit down for an afternoon and sign some photos to make some $$$? 

I wouldn't object on principle, but what's to stop the local booster from paying and/or promising a recruit big bucks to go to the school. Then it gets complicated again.  But use some of that obscene TV to give a small stipend for everyone to have a little living money? I could see that. . . .