DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 27: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo (2/29/2020) - Norfolk, VA (Chartway Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

EPaZZHwXsAAL6gH.jpeg?1580264079

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 27: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo 
February 29, 2020
Norfolk, VA (Chartway Arena)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Joseph Benavidez (124.5) vs. Deiveson Alcântara (127.5)** (vacant) - Alcântara, TKO (punches), R2 (1:54)
Felicia Spencer (145) vs. Zarah Fairn dos Santos (146) - Spencer, TKO (punches and elbows), R1 (3:37)
Ion Cuțelaba (204.5) vs. Magomed Ankalaev (204.5) - Ankalaev, KO (strikes), R1 (0:38)
Megan Anderson (145) vs. Norma Dumont (146) - Anderson, KO (punch), R1 (3:31)
Grant Dawson (149.5)* vs. Darrick Minner (145.5) - Dawson, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:38)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Gabriel Silva (135.5) vs. Kyler Phillips (135.5) - Phillips, DEC (unanimous)
Brendan Allen (185.5) vs. Tom Breese (185) - Allen, TKO (punches and elbows), R1 (4:47)
Marcin Tybura (246) vs. Sergey Spivak (234) - Tybura, DEC (unanimous)
Luis Peña (154.5) vs. Steve Garcia (155) - Peña, DEC (unanimous)
Jordan Griffin (145) vs. TJ Brown (145.5) - Griffin, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (3:38)
Aalon Cruz (145.5) vs. Spike Carlyle (145.5) - Carlyle, TKO (punches), R1 (1:25)
Ismail Naurdiev (170) vs. Sean Brady (170) - Brady, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight; Title only on the line for Benavidez

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jordan Griffin
Performance of the Night: Megan Anderson
Fight of the Night: Gabriel Silva vs. Kyler Phillips

Attendance: 7,098
Gate: $402,958

Cancelled Fights:
Alex Oliveira vs. Mickey Gall - Bout Nixed 
Chas Skelly vs. Grant Dawson - Injury to Skelly 
Steven Peterson vs. Aalon Cruz - Peterson Withdrew From Bout 
Mike Davis vs. Giga Chikadze - Injury to Davis 
Luis Peña vs. Alex Muñoz - Injury to Muñoz 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic
7 hours ago, J.T. said:

WHY IS THIS FIGHT THE SAME WEEKEND AS GALAXYCON IN RVA~????

FUCK~!!!

Hey, wait.  My tax refund just posted to my bank account..  Hmmm.

You're going to miss the Hulk?!

Cutelaba.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

Alcantara weighs in at 127.5. he can no longer win the FW title but Benavidez can.

You gotta believe everyone else in the men's flyweight division is rooting for Joseph now.

I am not sure if I should put that Cutelaba/Ankalaev result down as a KO. I mean Cutelaba was throwing punches so it's pretty hard to say that he was knocked out.

There was one thing very clear from the beginning of this fight, Figueiredo wasn't worried about Joseph Benavidez' striking at all.  I don't think he lifted his hands above his nipples unless he was throwing a strike.  That was a pretty devastating loss for Benavidez.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

There was one thing very clear from the beginning of this fight, Figueiredo wasn't worried about Joseph Benavidez' striking at all.  I don't think he lifted his hands above his nipples unless he was throwing a strike.  That was a pretty devastating loss for Benavidez.

Man, this flyweight title thing is bedeviling him.

You just had a feeling he was going to get caught eventually. Figueiredo isn't some dude to just be freestyling in there with. In so many fights, Benavidez is use to having a big speed and striking advantage. He may have had the former, but he clearly didn't have the latter.

I'm back from N'Folk.  Card was fairly solid.  I thought that the stoppage in the Anderson / Dumont fight was a bit suspect, but I also remember Shayna Bazler getting her brains beaten in by Cris Cyborg in that one Strikeforce card so I can't really fault Kev for stepping in as fast as he did even though Anderson is definitely not the caliber of killer that Cris is / was.

I know that the ladies are warriors too but like the dudes, they shouldn't take any more punishment than necessary for the sake of a decisive finish.

UFC merch is horrible looking except for the really expensive windbreakers.  I scored on a cheap Tokyo Five shirt instead.

tokyo-five-bravery-shirt-black.jpg

Edited by J.T.

They still make Tokyo Five? I mean some of these brands disappeared even years before the sponsor ban in the UFC five years ago.

Anyway, maybe this is an out of sight, out of mind thing but who actually deserves to get the featherweight title shot at Amanda Nunes? Cause it looks like that is what is next for Amanda Nunes and possibly at UFC 250. I ask for two reasons. First off, I think both women (Spencer and Anderson) could potentially do better against Nunes than what your average MMA fan believes they could possibly do which is probably next to nothing. I admit I never been that high on Megan Anderson (and that's going to play into my second point), but Spencer gave Cyborg hell. Look at how Budd did against Cyborg and look how much trouble Spencer gave Cyborg.

With that said, my second point is Zarah Fairn and Norma Dumont are not UFC caliber fighters (Fairn especially). And to be fair, I don't think any of the girls Julia Budd beat prior to fighting Cyborg are UFC caliber. For this card, they basically did a reverse robin round. Spencer beat Anderson who beat Fairn who also lost to Spencer. The only thing left is for Dumont to fight Spencer. Then UFC would be pulling a PFL without the $1 million explicitly at stake. How much do we penalize Spencer and Anderson for fighting those caliber opponents? They did what they were suppose to do. They made jobbers look like jobbers. If I had my choice, I would go Spencer over Anderson for the H2H victory and just seeing her as the most intriguing choice. Spencer is only one of the two who has a win over anyone remotely decent (that being Megan Anderson) and she did it soundly. She also had the aforementioned performance against Cyborg. It's easy for Anderson to beat Dumont and Fairn before that because that's the caliber of opponent she was beating in Invicta. Megan Anderson stepped up twice in the UFC and lost convincingly both times. I consider the Zingano fight a bizarre freak occurrence and also I don't know what Cat Zingano is as a fighter cause she looked bad against Ketlen Vieira too. I am not convinced that Anderson is beating some mental demons from her past cause those girls she beat were not good. She did what she was suppose to do which is good for her career outlook, but I don't see her getting much mileage against Amanda Nunes. Her window to win would be one round. If I am the UFC, I go with Felicia Spencer.

• jaedmc unpinned this topic