DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 2/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

We begin the build to Takeover Tampa.  The three big matches announced for tonight:

• Charlotte Flair vs. Bianca Bel Air
  • Austin Theory vs. Tommaso Ciampa
  • Dominic Dijakovic vs. Cameron Grimes
  • Plus, Finn Balor picks a fight

I assume Theory gets a nice showing before losing to Ciampa or Johnny shows up to fuck Ciampa over again.

Finn pretty much has to be either throwing out a challenge to WALTER or to Cole.

Hope Grimes sneaks past Dijakovic.

Charlotte/Bianca needs to be the main event. Hopefully it ends up great.

Dijakovic/Grimes was solid. Glad Priest interfered. We don't need another Lee/Dijakovic match any time soon and priest should be a nice mini-feud for Dijakovic.

Was right about Finn/WALTER and I'm looking forward to it. Hope WALTER retains when it happens.

Xia/Mia was kind of a nothing until the Kai/Raquel interference. I like Kai going after Mia and hope she does the same to Candice. Kai should go after every one of her partners who wronged her until until she faces off with Rhea in the Summer. Dug the powerbomb Raquel did to Yim. Reminds of one Kensuke used to do.

Wasn't all there the first half of Ciampa/Theory, but I liked the second half well enough.

Dream/Strong in a cage next week doesn't do too much for me. I assume its mainly an excuse to have Dream dive off the top onto all of UE.

GYV vs. Forgotten Sons was good. I like that Full Sail caught on to the assface chants with Drake. 

Charlotte and Bianca were a little off with each other few times, but otherwise this was pretty good. The post match ending felt off. I wonder if Rhea came out a little early.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I noticed they sort of did a rescue on the Strong/Dream feud by not mentioning Roddy's family, Dream emphasising that he broke his back, and Strong doing the usual fratboy UE promo.

So Balor is effectively a tweener now? 

It felt like a lot of the show was putting people over so they could put other people over. Nothing awful about that, but definitely feels like they're no longer trying to beat AEW. I almost feel they'd be better on Tuesdays, maybe having more regular RAW crossover. But then, maybe people have 3 hour RAW hangovers on Tuesday.

I'm sure this wasn' t the intent, but Rhea sure came off as an asshole, refusing to help Bianca until her music hit and even then...she slowly...did some posing...and THEN helped.

That being said, I'm a big fan of the heel kicking as much ass as possible before the face can make the save, instead of the usual "face music plays, heel freezes and just stands there."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Interesting the ratings dipped with Charlotte in the main. I thought the opposite would happen.

Charlotte Flair: Not as interesting as a weigh in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I'm sure this wasn' t the intent, but Rhea sure came off as an asshole, refusing to help Bianca until her music hit and even then...she slowly...did some posing...and THEN helped.

Rhea has been acting heel her entire run so far. It's almost as if she's channeling 'face' Edge, mega Smackdown champion.

Yeah, Grimes can wrestle with anyone and make it believable.

Very much looking forward to Finn/WALTER and the leadup to it.

GYV are miracle workers: they got a good match out of the Forgotten Sons and told a fun story doing it. The bizarro retro commentary really helped out a lot. Seriously, GYV are freakin great. Gibson has a future in commentary/manager/anything involving a mic.

Charlotte and Bianca was rough at spots but enjoyeable. Charlotte has better chemistry with Bianca than Rhea does for sure.

Edited by turk128

Grimes is coming pretty good. 

Not sure Reed-Dain needed a weak snap into a weak submission, but I guess that's what's being coached into these guys.

GYV are on some run right now. I'll watch them against anyone at this point. Maybe I'm skipping around too much and I missed some stuff: Did the Forgotten Sons turn face? 

Note to Wesley Blake: Weak/loose inverted atomic drops suck. A lot. 

Flair-Belair was super fun. Uncooperative at times, but in a way that added to the match. The crowd was way into this, which helped a lot. With how crowded NXT is, they should throw Belair on SmackDown immediately. Everyone knows she has too much star potential to be stuck where she is in the pecking order on Wednesday nights. 

The Rhea run-in at the end sucked. Everything wrong with that kind of run-in accentuated by what seemed to be clear timing issues. Real bad. 

I didn't watch anything else. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

GYV are on some run right now. I'll watch them against anyone at this point. Maybe I'm skipping around too much and I missed some stuff: Did the Forgotten Sons turn face?

Yes, it was super weird bizarro land stuff, from the freakin fantastic 80s cheap heel work on the mic by Gibson to the retro commentary.

I think they were trying something new ("it's real to me, damnit" mode)... and I can't say it didn't work because it was hella entertaining.

Edited by turk128