DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Holy shit, Big Swole is not very good. She's cool, seems to have a good persona but she needs to keep it to the basics until she can hit the overcomplicated dipsy-do strike sequences at full speed without fail. That was brutal.

Yuka has a little bit of the Riho complex in that she's sooo tiny that her strikes don't look very believable but her stature is also her biggest strength in that she's adorable and shows great determination and fortitude. I do wonder what Riho's future looks like. If she's thinking of retirement or sticking to Japan, replacing her with Yuka isn't the worst idea. Though I'd be totally cool with two tiny adorable Japanese women in the division. 

Cute "obsolete" bit in the Dork Odor (*LARRY Z, Y'ALL!*) promo. 

Iron man was a lot. Probably too much. Both guys have shown they can tell a great story with the right pacing. This felt like it edged towards big spots and not enough storytelling though I'd rather them veer towards a competitive match with broad strokes (Pac dominating the match after the chair shot because he was desperate, for instance) than the OTT cutesy bullshit you often see (i.e. Johnny Gargano/HBK) when wrestlers try to tell a story in an epic match setting. The Falcon Arrow to HELL, my God. That was up there with the worst of King's Road style.

They did a very good job of getting Marko involved in the six man. His offense was almost all surprise high flying counters and such. Nobody looked like a dork taking it. Good, solid match (with maybe a bit too much going on).

Felt like there was a bit of fat on this episode, which is not usually the case. GMC is great but does he need his own entrance? 

The Gracie train! Fuck, that is great. Wow, the headbutt looked great because he made decent contact.

Fun show but a step down from the past 3 weeks or so of white hot television. Can't agree more with @AxBregarding the time trickery this show pulls with one's head. Goes by so quickly then it feels like it was eons since I watched it within minutes of the show actually ending. WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just think if they book you as heels, then do the job correctly. They just go out there, and do their own thing. Lucha Bros. do that in a way, but they are connecting with the crowd. TH2 just isn’t. I think maybe if Jurassic Express didn’t exist, it would be them. They were a little too late I guess.

I think TH2 are fine with where they are. Annoyingly cocky performers you want to see beat up but don’t care to see in stories. Get the crowd pumped on the secondary show or used to boost up a team’s record. B&B are also in that zone, but there’s enough there that it’s cool seeing them in a week long story or something going around in the background. 

Saying that, I do enjoy Evans. He was in a really good match a year ago with Taurus and Hijo Del Vikingo in Mexico and a few other very fun spots. I’m sure they could do more as a team but I’m not really buying that they’re needed.

You mentioned Jurassic Express and Lucha Bros. Lucha Bros have a crazy amount of charisma that helps with that crowd connection. Jurassic Express through their fun collective gimmick and Marko’s size have people talking about them. TH2 are just kind of there. And you need that on the roster. 

36 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

I saw Gary Michael Capetta on live wrestling in 2020.

This is good stuff.

Hardly anyone in Fite chat knew who he was. I tried telling them he was WCW's lead announcer in the pre-Hogan era, but that might as well have been ancient pre-history for these Attitude Era kids.

They were really buzzing during the Ironman how this was the first time we've seen 'Kenny Omega from Japan' in AEW. Like, he'd been good, but here he was back to being transcendent. Who knew taking out the bit of his entrance video where he looks miserable in a backpack was the key to unlocking his top form?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Omega/Pac was pretty awesome, 30 minutes flew by and felt big time. I liked the womens 4 way a lot. Loving Yuka in her appearances so far, popped for her theme as well, and Shida is always great. Six man and tag were both fun. Jurassic Express had some super cool double/triple team sequences. the Orange Cassidy/Bunny bit was amusing.  Excellent show closing brawl as usual setting up the PPV. Enjoyed the whole show and didn't even realize til the end that Cody wasn't even on this week.  Amazing build overall to Revolution with the Countdown special, definitely looking forward to it. 

• Like 4

I didn't think the Iron Man Match was a lot...  it felt about right especially considering what I've seen from NXT lately.  This was LEAGUES better than the recent Gargano/Cole/Ciampa stuff.  

It was a great match and another great show top to bottom.   I loved those Painmaker Posse tracksuits.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I fucking love Tony. My first vivid memory of NWA/JCP  was him calling Magnum winning the US title from Wahoo in a cage on Worldwide. March 1985? It's been so cool watching his new life in the business happen. Probably the best thing that has come out of Conrad's podcast empire. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I want a Painmaker Posse track suit. That was damn hilarious seeing them come out like it was a boxing or MMA match. 

As @Oyajisaid, the Gracie Train bit was fucking marvelous.

Excellent episode of Dynamite and go home show.

• Like 4

I love this show so much. There's just a ton to love from the Ironman match, setting up Pac vs OC, OC wearing the bunny ears, Best Friends winning, the entire interview with Tony, everything during the commercial with the Best Friends and Tony, YUKA!, Shida won!, feeling bad for Hangman that his friends are all pieces of shit, I hope Hangman lariats all of them, and that entire end segment was the shit. 

• Like 4

Went back to watch the weigh-in: 

- Couldn't remember what Gary Michael Cappetta sounded like either and as soon as he opened his mouth it was "oh yeah, every WCW match I ever watched is that guy". 

- The two ringladies don't look too different nor too thicc to me. Certainly no edecanes. 

-  Jericho could have bladed but it sure looked hardway to me. 

- That was really more fun than the rest of the show, sorry to say. Four way was silly and the tag was their go-go house style that doesn't appeal to me. *shrug*

EDIT: Jesus, I forgot all about B & B/Best Friends. All I remember is I think Trent hitting his throat on the bottom rope, that was gross. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

5 hours ago, AxB said:

They were really buzzing during the Ironman how this was the first time we've seen 'Kenny Omega from Japan' in AEW. Like, he'd been good, but here he was back to being transcendent. Who knew taking out the bit of his entrance video where he looks miserable in a backpack was the key to unlocking his top form?

I knew there was something different about his entrance but couldn't put my finger on it, I thought it must just be that he had the Bucks as seconds. But no, it was swapping out the dozy jet-lagged Kenny walking the streets of Shibuya, which I always felt was bad-quirky Kenny, (as opposed to the many good-quirky aspects of his persona).

What a three-show run and lead in to the big PPV. I thought this one held up as well as the previous two with the diversity of match-ups, just the right amount of goofiness, progression with the Elite's relationship in a great sit-down segment, judicious use of star-power, and Jericho continuing to take everything he's involved in to the next level.

I'm surprised they didn't push the Women's Championship or have MJF make a last ditch attempt to coax Cody into physical contact, but I guess they have the countdown show and they feel the brief video package was sufficient setup for Dynamite.   

Edit to add: also I have a feeling that the PAC/OC match may be a few-minute pallet cleanser of OC momentarily frustrating PAC, showing off some lucha things (TM) and getting killed in short order. Which would be a great way to sustain the Bastard as a top level threat.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

I’m in disagreement with some of the folks here about the Ironman match. I thought it was easily the best singles match in this programs short history. Omega like I’ve been saying the past number of weeks has benefited greatly from being put in tags. The reaction to him last night felt like the culmination of all the hard work put into getting his offense over with an audience that hasn’t seen him work that much in person. PAC is a monster. He is a modern Benoit. He makes everything look like it hurts in there. That shooting star looked like it hurt tremendously for PAC, but he got up like a machine. The only things I didn’t care for the were 1)the cliched heel takes a DQ to help himself get a fall and 2) The last five minutes spent on the Brutilizer. Somebody should’ve teased throwing in a towel to continue the dissension in the Elite. Also nobody took a clean pin-fall loss. All the pins were caused by shenanigans. You can see that as a good thing, or bad thing for a TV match. I think it’s fine because this really shouldn’t be it between these two, but I can people not caring for the North American booking there.

But either way I loved it. Still I don’t know if putting an Ironman on TV is good idea since these are always ratings killers. Really it’s not even a good idea to put one on PPV because history tells us that it can kill a crowd. I think maybe these matches should be reserved for House Shows in all honesty.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

Quick thoughts on AEW Dynamite on TNT Brought to you by Frank Thomas' Gas Station Dick Pills

That Iron Man match was such good shit pal.  That is pro wrestling.  Awful heel can't beat the face, sacrifices a DQ just to get the satisfaction of a pin he can't earn otherwise, then the valiant babyface wins in OT.  See how simple this shit is?  Again, I'm overjoyed to just see some good pro wrestling 101 booking.  Who would have thought that a company brought to you by a money mark, a guy who killed the business by wrestling a fuck doll, and a team who killed the business with too many superkicks, would be the standard bearer for old school booking?

Two very good tag matches.  I like how wins and losses matter and they're putting over the Friends' rise up the ranks.  Can't wait for Cassidy vs Pac.  "THIS TIME HE'S GONNA TRY!"  Dying.

I liked the Jericho/Moxley banner hanging in the rafters.  Really cool.

Weigh in segment was cool.  Loved Team Jericho.  I enjoyed the crowd chanting "Fat Jericho," but they lose a million points for still doing the chop in 2020.

The women's four way was very fun but, as @Oyaji said, holy fuck Big Swoll needs work.  She has a cool character and lots of charisma, but her work is rough.  Overcomplicated, loose, and clumsy.

I thought the sit-down interview was really well done and accomplished more in the few minutes it had than WWE would have done with a 20 minute opening match "I talk  now you talk" segment.

NOT THE DIPPING DOTS

"I'm a Jaguars fan now."  "You're a company man is what you are."

I've said it before but it's so cool how restrained AEW is with not feeling like they need to have everyone on every show.  Keeping Cody and MJF off this week except for a promo vignette was so smart and it makes their guys feel special.  Also makes the company look like they're confident in their booking instead of Poochying the whole damn thing.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Hardly anyone in Fite chat knew who he was. I tried telling them he was WCW's lead announcer in the pre-Hogan era, but that might as well have been ancient pre-history for these Attitude Era kids.

I met Gary at our local indy show last year. Really polite, nice guy but when I asked him to do the "this is Sting" call the carny in him took over and he said "for $20 I will do any announcement you'd like"       Gotta respect the hustle

• Like 2