DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2020 NJ Cup

Archibald

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Lollllllllllll

Hide contents

Who knew Tetsuya Naito was Japanese for Lex Luger?

I saw this happening because it would make zero sense to have Evil lose to Naito in his first match after turning on him just the night before. If they had Evil win the NJ Cup w/o turning on Naito, then he could lose to Naito at Dominion and then turn on him after the match to start a real feud. They kinda booked themselves into a corner.

I'm not sure if you can book yourself into the corner over the span of two days so I'd say that this was deliberate decision.

Either way, results are... interesting.

Lol, I was certainly wrong. This sounds hilarious. Of all people to go all in on and in this way. Certainly is a very Gedo move in that he has transformed the company slowly over the past ten years into his own image. It sounds dreadful on paper but at least Taichi being rewarded is part of this movement...

• Like 1

EVERYTHIIIIIING

Man, I really like EVIL, and anyone who’s been around this subforum for the last 3 years or so knows I’ve been waving the EVIL>>>>>>SANADA flag for a while, so I’m delighted to see him beat his former stablemate to the top, even if he’s just keeping the throne warm during the pandemic.

Like most people, I didn’t necessarily see this coming, but the more I thought about this move yesterday, the more sense it made.  From a business perspective, it protects the drawing power of a lot of Naito title defenses that shouldn’t be happening in mostly empty arenas.  And, for better or worse, it jives with Gedo’s (apparent) philosophy that Naito can never be happy for too long and always needs to have a chip on his shoulder about something.

• Like 2

Why do some people fail to understand this fact: The only people NJPW will be able to use until possibly 2021 are people currently residing in that place on a map labeled "Japan". That's it. They have to utilize the guys that are available to them and they have no choice but to try things and elevate guys they have access to.

Watching some of this back, I submit this as one of the most depressingly booked shows in a long time. Your top four baby faces are all left laying in a heap of one form or another, and your other top babyface ends the show having a nervous breakdown because of how fucked it all is. 

I dug it

Obviously overshadowed by the main event, but that tag title match was terrific. Love Tana slapping Taichi to avoid him winning via iron glove, and then getting completely decimated by the full Dangerous Tekkers arsenal.

I LOVE ALL OF THIS. Man if they can only convince Kawada to come in to work a program with Taichi in one way or another, I'll be in heaven. Either they reunite them and he's Taichi's heel manager or he shows up in a babyface's corner and takes on a new protege to help destroy his disgraced pupil Taichi. 

• Like 1

I have been big Naito mark for few years now so I won't lie and say that it didn't hurt and I get some of those people in r/njpw and places like that. But I'm kinda okay with it. At some point it had to end and sure I would have rather it ended later. But you know whats good about it? It wasn't ended by Okada so we are not doing that back and forth between them again and, at least for few months, we are getting a very different status quo.

Now what I do like about this whole thing is that, regardless of Evil joining BC, this is LiJ story. Evil was Naito's first guy, if I remember right Evil was carrying Hiromu's jacket while he was injured for those post match roll calls and obviously Evil had long tag team partnership with Sanada. There is lots of meat here and they are obviously going now with Hiromu. And hey, if they want to give Sanada that big first title win then they can easily craft something here.

Thinking long term we also got Jay White. Do remember that Gedo betrayed Okada because he thought that Okada's golden days were over and that Jay was the hot new thing, but does he need Jay now when he got Evil on his side? And what do gaijin BC members think about Evil basically taking over BC while they are away? Lots of potential here as well if they want to go that direction.

• Like 2

Well holy shit. I didn't see this happening at all. I would have preferred Jay White in EVIL's spot, but that's obviously not happening.

Ultimately I guess I'm fine with all of this. Kinda bummed Naito's reign is already done though.

• Like 1