DVDVR Message Board

SDL is a No Fly Zone - 2/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't even know what argument you're trying to make. That Fiend's character was constructed to sell merch?

No it was a much more subtle point: that your opinion about 'why The Fiend exists' is ludicrously reductionist and belonging to a time when heels weren't cheered for or sell gimmicks.

Just now, Raziel said:

yeah, he was Slain 6 days before when Hogan kicked out of the Tombstone and Taker needed distraction from Bearer, Flair, and a chair to put Hogan down.

6 days before when he won the WWF Title and quite a lot of people cheered?

This is desperate stuff now.

I'm saying the guy who spent 90% of his career as a babyface isn't a great example of a monster heel. Do you read my posts? Raziel already corrected you about Taker, but yeah, I guess that "doesn't count," right?

Rhetorical questions. I'm all done here. Sorry I fed the troll.

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I'm saying the guy who spent 90% of his career as a babyface isn't a great example of a monster heel. Do you read my posts? Raziel already corrected you about Taker, but yeah, I guess that "doesn't count," right?

Rhetorical questions. I'm all done here. Sorry I fed the troll.

Undertaker as 'not a monster heel' puts us firmly into No True Scotsman territory. Yeah, he was a monster heel who they protected (including against Hogan) and was therefore able to transition into a career where he mostly wrestled at the top of the card as a baby. That's *exactly* the point I'm making.

You're not as smart as you think you are. You accuse me by implication of not reading your posts, but you have shown a couple of times here that you can't really step aside from your own terms of reference and logically consider somebody else's argument. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I know people love to argue with Morelock for whatever reason, but I didn’t think “monster heel exists to put over babyface” was a controversial point.

When you don't have a babyface worth a damn and your heel is outmerching all of them, then yeah that kind of becomes a very limiting paradigm.

Though to be clear, I don't have an issue with The Fiend doing a job to Roman Reigns. That's not the issue, and it would be silly to pretend that's what I'm arguing for.