DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Championships are a very good way to measure greatness.  Because it's settled fact that Robert Horry is twice the player Wilt Chamberlain and Dr. J are combined.

Im talking about in the context of the top dogs taking their teams to the promise land.

But ok lol

What about Finals MVPs? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rocco said:

If titles mean nothing then Wilt is the greatest player of all time and no one is close.  

Wilt has the single craziest stat/record in the history of pro sports: one season he averaged playing more than 48 minutes a game due to playing every minute of regulation and overtime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Im talking about in the context of the top dogs taking their teams to the promise land.

But ok lol

What about Finals MVPs? 

I guess Kawhi’s better than Steph then. 

• Like 1

A Kawhi vs Harden debate really really comes down to what you value.

Harden is a better offensive player by leaps and bounds, though Leonard has improved his all around game a lot. Kawhi is one an all-time great one on one defender, Harden rather famously is not, though he has improved tremendously on that end since the infamous YouTube video.

Harden is a night in, night out force while Kawhi is a pioneer of "load management" but Harden has had most of his seasons end in horrific individual performances in key playoff games, while Leonard has played his absolute best ball in the postseason, grabbing to finals MVP awards and being the clear best player on two title teams.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

A Kawhi vs Harden debate really really comes down to what you value.

Harden is a better offensive player by leaps and bounds, though Leonard has improved his all around game a lot. Kawhi is one an all-time great one on one defender, Harden rather famously is not, though he has improved tremendously on that end since the infamous YouTube video.

Harden is a night in, night out force while Kawhi is a pioneer of "load management" but Harden has had most of his seasons end in horrific individual performances in key playoff games, while Leonard has played his absolute best ball in the postseason, grabbing to finals MVP awards and being the clear best player on two title teams.

Harden is a better defender these days.

Harden is definitely a better defender than  he was, but the problem is his best defensive skill, post defense,  is the least useful defensive skill in the modern game.  He's gotten better at deflections but he's still a below-average individual defender.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

I think it’s safe to say the only way it will be taken seriously when it comes to sports is if Lebron ends up getting it. I don’t want him to, but obviously if he did it would draw mainstream attention, and force not just the NBA but all other sports leagues to either shutdown until 2021 or face the rage of the general public.

Considering Rudy Gobert was a All Star-level player to be the first to get it, and Kevin Durant- one of the closest big stars to Lebron's level, got it- I don't even think Lebron getting it would get it totally taken seriously there.

It seems like the only way the mainstream sports world would take it seriously is to go past "a big-name player gets it" and go straight to the even worse outcome for people to take it seriously- a Joe Hall in 1920 moment of of "an active player dies of it"...and even then, it might have to go further to "a big-name active player dies of it."  (And even then, I don't even know if that'd be enough.)

• Like 2

If the Bucks don’t make it to the Finals, that’s a colossal failure and Giannis would have to be considered a serious choker. No team in the East should take 4 out of 7 against the Bucks. 

It’ll be funny when it happens.

As requested I put a certain other poster on ignore, but based on comments I’m reading from others it’s making me laugh. 

Also I think this is by far the best take in this topic (I’m being serious too):

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yes, he is. I think even most GSW fans would agree with that.

Out of curiosity, and since I see this take being thrown around here would any of you actually take Harden over Kawhi if you were a GM for your favorite team? Personally I’d much rather have Kawhi to pair up with Luka and Porzingis especially on the defensive end. Plus offensively he demands the ball less, and would still score 20+ just off of passes from Luka. 

But I think the main thing it boils down to is do you want a guy who plays ungodly minutes during the season, and then basically craps the bed in the playoffs or a guy who is allowed to sit out regular season games, and come playoff time look like the best player (or at worst second best) in the league? I get Toronto is doing really well this season, but I don’t see how anyone can say they’re better off without Kawhi. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

If the Bucks don’t make it to the Finals, that’s a colossal failure and Giannis would have to be considered a serious choker. No team in the East should take 4 out of 7 against the Bucks. 

It’ll be funny when it happens.

tenor.gif

You called?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

tenor.gif

You called?  

Yeah I disrespected you Jimmy.  Giannis thinks he's better than you and thinks you don't have a prayer against him.  He's gonna travel and shoot free throws all over you Jimmy, and he's gonna call you soft. 

Harden ain't got nothing but respect for you and wanted you to come play with him.  Hell, Harden is in Miami RIGHT NOW. 

• Like 1

It is funny looking at the proposed NBA "season" now with the 22 teams that there is only 1 team in the Eastern Conference still fighting for the playoffs while the Western Conference is about 4 or 5.   And really the Wizards probably have to run the table or lose only once to have a chance at an 8th seed.  Maybe if they were playing 15 "regular season" games then you could add Hornets and Bulls.  

By the way if you are one of those teams and by the 3rd game it is obvious the playoffs are no chance, how much does it suck to be playing those games instead of just staying home.  

Edited by hammerva

The Portland reason was probably related to Lillard's claim "he wouldn't play if there was no realistic way to make the playoffs for Portland", and now that the season plan is in place, it doesn't look that way:

Conference tournaments are still in play. Lowest seed left is the Suns who were 6 games out of a playoff spot. 8 regular season games for each of the teams to play. 16- team playoffs, with a play-in possible: If the 9 seed is within 4 games of the 8 seed (so for comparison as of the suspension- the Wizards have to pick up 2 games from the Magic,  but the Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, and Spurs all qualify as of right now), then there'd be a modified best of 3 series (the 9 seed has to win twice before the 8 seed wins once.) 

This still doesn't seem to make sense- before the suspension, the Bucks, Raptors, Celtics, and Lakers all clinched playoff berths. With the changes to the season, the only three teams with a chance of being knocked out are the Nets, Magic (and even then, the Wizards only realistically have a chance to get within 4 games and force a play-in series), and Grizzlies. Even if they went 1-16, the Magic had a better record than the Blazers/Pelicans/Kings did in the West, so the 16 teams would stand for a NBA playoffs If you're doing all of that and doing 22 teams for that, it'd make more sense to just do:

Seed the playoffs 1-16 for this year and do an 8-team play in tournament. The Nets, Magic, Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs, Suns, and Wizards are invited into the tournament. 1 game for the first round, best of 3 second round (higher seed has to win once before lower seed wins twice.) Winners get the 15/16 seeds.

As I understand it, the East teams were all fully opposed to any 1-16 format, so that a nonstarter.

Every team that misses the playoffs, both the 8 at home and the six who don't get in, will go to the lottery with odds based solely on records through 3/11 (of course, the year the Pistons finally decided to tank at the deadline...) While the playoff teams will have their 8 games in Orlando count for draft order.

The NBA has not yet approved a health plan for keeping players and staff safe.

Florida posted it's highest number of new COVID cases today, beating the previous peak in April.