DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Board of governors is going to vote on restarting the season and are expected to approve the second-dumbest plan.  Woj has details on his twitter if you're interested.

I think I'll be stepping away from the NBA for a while.  I don't know why I expected any better from them but I did.

31 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Board of governors is going to vote on restarting the season and are expected to approve the second-dumbest plan.  Woj has details on his twitter if you're interested.

I think I'll be stepping away from the NBA for a while.  I don't know why I expected any better from them but I did.

So basically if Brian Windhorst was right yesterday on The Jump, New Orleans is screwed under that format. I get everyone plays an equal number of games but he was saying they’d most likely have The Pelicans playing The Clippers, Lakers, Bucks, and all the better teams to get tv ratings. 

Which would be fine if they were going to get games with the Magic, Wizards, and Nets too but it didn’t sound that way. Oh well at least my Mavs are safe, and should get a better seed this way. 

Life in the NBA bubble will be governed by a set of safety protocols. While players and coaches will be allowed to golf or eat at outdoor restaurants, they will also need to maintain social distancing, sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

Likewise, employees at the Disney resort will have to maintain similar protocols. For example, no staff will be allowed into players' rooms, while hallways will be carefully managed to avoid crowding, sources told Shelburne.

Clearly nothing can go wrong

• Like 1

Wait, what? That's absurd. I remember reading an article on a purported Premier League return a couple of months ago and how just one person delivering groceries could touch the wrong thing or get sneezed on and it fucks everything up, and yet they are allowing players and staff to lollygag about on golf courses and eat at restaurants? Coooool. Nothing could possiblye go wrong.

• Like 1

They're going to be staying and playing at an active amusement park so the idea that they'll be able to enforce any kind of bubble is pretty laughable, especially if players' families are also going to be there.

• Like 1

Okay I think we can officially say we’ve found the worst poster on this topic now. Trying to use making the playoffs as the reason his teams choke artist is better than a guy that is going to be the back to back NBA MVP.

What’s next is he going to come up with some metric claiming he’s better than Kawhi and Lebron too? 

• Like 1

BTW - the NBA's testing plan is more absurd

If a player tests positive for the virus, the league's intent would be to remove that player from the team to quarantine and treat individually -- and continue to test other team members as they play on, sources said.

Yup - no chance anyone would be asymptomatic.

Nope, none at all.

• Like 1

I'm actually being unfair because millions of people took extraordinary actions at great personal expense to try to stop the spread of the virus until government and business just said "lol, nah"

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I don't think I will ever get over how the country just decided to raw dog it through a dangerous pandemic.

There was, like, two weeks when it looked like everyone was going to take it seriously. Then it stopped.

My further comments on who was dying and how that affected the response are probably too political for this space.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There was, like, two weeks when it looked like everyone was going to take it seriously. Then it stopped.

My further comments on who was dying and how that affected the response are probably too political for this space.

I think it’s safe to say the only way it will be taken seriously when it comes to sports is if Lebron ends up getting it. I don’t want him to, but obviously if he did it would draw mainstream attention, and force not just the NBA but all other sports leagues to either shutdown until 2021 or face the rage of the general public.

If the metric is never missing the playoff, Harden IS better than Giannis, Anthony Davis and Damien Lillard. 

And if the metric is never quitting on your team(s), Harden IS better than LeBron and Kawhi*.

* Harden IS better than Kawhi: scores way more points (this year and for his career), gets way more assists (this year and for his career), more All Star appearances, and way less injury prone.

** And before we talk about Kawhi’s great playoff run with Toronto let’s not forget how great the Raptors are this year without him. It’s a good team.

Championships are a very good way to measure greatness.  Because it's settled fact that Robert Horry is twice the player Wilt Chamberlain and Dr. J are combined.

• Haha 1