DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

I expect we'll see the NBA and NBPA come to an agreement to extend the league year as part of the deal the come back and finish the season. There's just no chance that let that kind of chaos happen. It doesn't help either side. The players are giving up money right now, they'll almost certainly take the deal in order to get closet to their full salaries.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 6:55 PM, RIPPA said:

Technically could go in the NCAA thread too but Patrick Ewing has announced he is in the hospital fighting COVID-19

Patrick Ewing was discharged from the hospital today. ?

• Like 3

Damien Lillard says he won't play if Portland "doesn't have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs" upon return

IE: if it is the play like 3 regular season games and then do the playoffs

Lillard's preferred method would be a playin tournament of the 7th through 12th teams

The group stage one is fascinating because there always is a Group of Death, and I can only imagine the howls if there was a Lakers, Rockets, Heat, and Thunder all ended up in the same group.  Boy oh boy, would that be fun. 

Fuck it, roll the dice and roll with all 30 teams.  Give the Lakers and Bucks as the respective 1 seeds automatic byes into the playoffs, and it works. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The group stage one is fascinating because there always is a Group of Death, and I can only imagine the howls if there was a Lakers, Rockets, Heat, and Thunder all ended up in the same group.  Boy oh boy, would that be fun. 

Fuck it, roll the dice and roll with all 30 teams.  Give the Lakers and Bucks as the respective 1 seeds automatic byes into the playoffs, and it works. 

I can see already we'd probably get 2 or 3 incredibly tough groups. I love this idea. Give it to me. 

Same here. I love this idea. This year is fucking wacky anyway. We're in do whatever the fuck land now so just do the craziest thing possible.

Baseball is my absolute favorite sport, but the ideas being tossed around for how the rest of the NBA season and playoffs go down has me more interested in the NBA than anything else.

EDIT: Plus, let's face it, the Cubs are going to suck. I may as well get my enjoyment somewhere.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I can see already we'd probably get 2 or 3 incredibly tough groups. I love this idea. Give it to me. 

The "2 or 3 incredibly tough groups" is good enough for the potential of World Cup-esque fun in the tournament- but if they do group stages, I kind of like the related claim of "let the best teams from the regular season draft their groups" (in the 20 team claim, Lakers/Bucks/Raptors/Clippers, in Dolfan's 30-team claim, the Raptors/Clippers/Celtics/Nuggets/Jazz/Heat/Thunder),  even more than Group of Death potential.  

The Group of Death may give a top teams playing in the group stage, but "this top team specifically chose to play you in the first round of the playoffs because they think you're no match for them" would be such a show of disrespect that you'd have INSTANT rivalries happen, likely for years to come...and the sheer unadulterated HATE would make far, far better games than even the Groups of Death would bring.

Hall of Fame ceremony has been delayed until next year officially.

I can't remember ever having someone die in-between being selected end inducted into a HoF before, much less the two in this class.

The Knicks are going to interview Kenny Atkinson and Tom Thibodeau. 

Atkinson is definitely the much, much better fit for a team as young as the Knicks, so they're clearly going to target Thibs.

Between the owners prioriting revenue over safety in their plans and Disneyworld planning to reopen by the time the season restarts this all sounds like the makings of a huge disaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Any idea why all these stories about Moses Malone passing away have sprung up, given he died a few years ago? 

I believe they are reshowing the 82-83 Finals so a lot of Philly places are doing retrospectives.

So because Moses name was popping up it looks like a clickbait site ran a story with a misleading headline - I’m sure you are shocked

55 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Clay Bennett is trying to convince the NBA to bring back all 30 teams because he's a broke bitch who doesn't care about player or staff safety.

He isn't alone but clearly everyone else was happy he was the one who brought it up

On the back end of Friday's owners meeting with Silver, several owners -- including Philadelphia's Josh Harris and Phoenix's Robert Sarver -- enthusiastically backed Bennett's call for the league to come together for as many teams as possible.

Already, the NBA knew how passionate Atlanta owner Tony Ressler felt on the issue of the Hawks' inclusion to Orlando. He reiterated on the call after Bennett's speech that his franchise wanted to resume the season -- provided some reassurances, to the degree any were possible, that the NBA could maintain player health and safety while adding teams. Ressler did not explicitly link the Hawks' participation to any path for Atlanta to make the playoffs, sources said, and attendees took that to mean Ressler supported Atlanta's playing even without such a path.

Golden State's Joe Lacob told peers that the Warriors were willing to participate that way too, although his franchise has been far more cool to the idea in private, sources said.

The Hawks and Warriors are two lottery teams with far different realities: a small-market Southern city in a rebuild contrasted with the massive resources of a big-market team reloading its roster with healthy All-Stars for a 2020-21 playoff run.

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Atlanta a small market? 

Technically yes - while its the 10th media market it is 37th in population

I mean compared to a lot of other places it is "big"

But teams will use what they have to cry a disadvantage

It is like how the St Louis Cardinals can keep getting extra draft picks in MLB despite their constant success (Though St Louis is smaller than Atlanta)

I was going to make a Spirits of St. Louis joke, but I honestly don't remember... is STL allowed to have an NBA team now that the family took the final payoff from the NBA? 

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Technically yes - while its the 10th media market it is 37th in population

I mean compared to a lot of other places it is "big"

But teams will use what they have to cry a disadvantage

It is like how the St Louis Cardinals can keep getting extra draft picks in MLB despite their constant success (Though St Louis is smaller than Atlanta)

A lot of people use MSA or CBSA to determine markets too. Atlanta is the 9th largest MSA in that measurement, but from a sports perspective it's definitely always been a Small market even considering the peak of the Turner owned Braves.

Edited by Chaos

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I was going to make a Spirits of St. Louis joke, but I honestly don't remember... is STL allowed to have an NBA team now that the family took the final payoff from the NBA? 

Even before the family took the final payoff, the whole point of the Spirits deal was that the NBA's settlement was so beautifully airtight and had absolutely no loopholes or out clauses inside the deal that the NBA had to go with that final payoff, or else they'd have to pay the Spirits deal forever. 

Because of how airtight the clause the Spirits got was, I'm pretty sure that even before the final payoff from the NBA, St. Louis could have absolutely gone for an NBA team if they wanted it, and that would have had nothing to do with the NBA getting out of the Spirits deal,  and they'd still have had to pay that deal off even if St. Louis got an NBA team.

The bigger reason that St.Louis never tried for a team was less the Spirits deal and more...basketball was not popular in St. Louis when they had it. The Hawks failed in STL even when they had a decent team, and in the dying days of the ABA the Spirits made it clear if the ABA lived or the NBA absorbed them as well, they were planning to move to Utah for the 1976-77 season.