DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That '95 Rockets team is weird. They're both a serious candidate for the worst champion ever (not only a sixth seed, but they went 17-18 down the stretch after trading for Drexler) and for the best playoff run ever (every single team they beat won 57 or more games and was a top three seed. No team ever had that tough a successful title run ever.)

They're an enigma. We'll likely never see a team like them again.

Dream's playoff run in 1995 is legendary.  I've never seen one player dominate a reigning MVP (David Robinson) to the point that it was just soul crushing. Dream was not going to be denied. 

18 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Stop nuthugging Jordan MAVSFAN.  You're not even a loyal fan.  You're the worst.  Jordan never played for the Mavs.  Jesus Christ. 

And I never denigrated MJ.  Certainly not.  Jordan is the best ever.  Everyone knows that except some idiot LeBron stans.  However, saying that Dream is up there with him, and saying that the Championship-winning Clutch City Houston Rockets teams that matched up extremely well with the Jordan Bulls and actually won the title when Jordan was playing in the playoffs, would have beaten the Bulls is not some controversial hot take.  The Bulls could've beaten the Rockets, sure.  But the Rockets could've beaten the Bulls, too.  We'll never know, mainly because the Jordan Bulls lost to the fucking MAGIC and denied us the chance to see what would have happened. 

The Rockets' second championship is the sweetest because they overcame so much adversity from the regular season to damn near losing the first two series before dominating.  And the GOAT Michael Jordan was playing in that playoffs, and they still won. 

Harden should have been in the running for MVP for his 5th straight year.  There hasn't been a scorer like him since .... Michael Jordan.  And he's the only player that's been in the running for MVP for the last five years in a row too.  But this again is another non-sequitur.  

Finally, the only person I posted that was trash-talking MJ was Mad Max, and if you were any kind of basketball fan, you'd kinda know that's like, his thing.  Or maybe you'd be the kind of idiot to talk about his dead daughter and think you're safe in the stands (or behind a computer monitor).  

Without bringing stupid comments about religion into this how is it nuthugging or being a disloyal fan if I’m speaking positively about the best player I’ve ever seen in the league, and live? I know he didn’t play for the Mavs you moronic Rocket homer, but it’s still undeniable he was better than any player on my team or yours ever. Clearly I’m a Luka Doncic fan, and before him Dirk was my favorite but unlike you I’m not going to claim either one will ever be in the same conversation as him (your constant Harden is MJ’s equal in scoring is laughable at best).

However I will happily agree with you that Lebron stans are the most annoying “fans” in the world. Again your stupid Magic argument carries no worth. We’ve discussed it more than enough, and there’s no solid rebuttal to my comment that if MJ played a full season the outcome would’ve been different (and in the East finals as they would’ve been the 1 and 2 seeds respectively).

Saying MJ played in those playoffs so that win was sweeter makes me laugh. Remind me again, did Houston beat the Bulls in the finals? That would be like me claiming the Mavs only title should carry extra weight, because Tim Duncan was in the playoffs (Nevermind the fact we didn’t play or beat the Spurs that year). Plus as I’ve said a 27 game played MJ that had spent most of the season playing baseball is not the same as GOAT MJ. What did he do in his first full season back? Oh that’s right just like his second and third full seasons back he won the NBA Title.

I love the excuses for things being non sequitur yet you keep hugging little Jimmy’s nuts for him. He’s certainly in the running for biggest ball hog of the last five years that’s for sure. 

Also I do know that was Mad Max’s thing, but as I stated he won zero titles for doing it. So I’m sure MJ really lost sleep over anything his non winning rear end said. And why even bring his dead daughter into it? Only a piece of trash would do that. 

58 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Mad Max won two titles. Just stop.

Yeah that whole one playoff game he played during the second championship run is super impressive.

But now as Dolfan requested I’m putting you on ignore. So have fun jerking little Jimmy off. 

Most recent NBA obsession: Wizards Jordan. He was way better in a Washington than people remember. Before getting hurt, when he was starting the first year he was 24/5/6 on 42% shooting (his numbers dropped because he came off the bench for seven games with a bum knee before shutting it down for the season. Before the injury, he was a legit borderline mvp candidate.

He wasn't as good in 02-03, but he was also 40 and coming off knee surgery, and still put up a 20-6-4 on 45% while playing 37 minutes a night and had 3 40 point games after turning 40.

If he had taken the urging from Phil to come to L.A. as a mentor in 99-00, and only played say 25 minutes a night, that already great Lakes team could've steamrolled the league. 

• Like 2

It is surprising that Wizards Jordan doesn't get included in his career as well, especially considering how people have adopted advanced stats in recent times for how effective veteran players were.

Since everyone seems to keep holy the "a player can give you 1,000 games played and/or 50,000 minutes, whichever comes first, before they start to break down", that makes Wizards Jordan that much more important- Jordan didn't pass 1,000 total games until his final season in Washington. (Heck, if you believe more in 50,000 minutes than 1,000 games- Jordan only played about 48,000 minutes in the NBA between regular season/playoffs, and if so would still have a couple thousand minutes he could give at peak skill.)

I'm not super crazy about a weird 12-team playoff. 

Here's how they should resume the rest of the NBA season: Skip to the playoffs, but do a 30 team single elimination march madness style tournament.  Seeded according to record, not considering East v. West.  Since these will be empty arena at one location, East v. West doesn't matter. 

I just used little \ and / to indicate who'd play who in the second round.  I think you can figure it out. 

First Round:

1. Bucks (bye)             \

6. Magic v. 7. Blazers /

9. Thunder v. 24. Bulls \

8. Heat v. 25. Knicks    /

4. Clippers v. 29. Cavs \

13. Mavs v. 20. Spurs  /

12. 76ers v. 21. Suns        \

5. Celtics v. 28. T-Wolves /

2. Lakers (bye)                 \

15. Nets v. 18. Pelicans  /

10. Rockets v. 23.Hornets  \

7. Jazz v. 26. Pistons          /

3. Raptors v. 30. Warriors \

14. Grizzlies v. Kings         /

11. Pacers v. Wizards      \

6. Nuggets v. 27. Hawks /

So, some intriguing 1st round matchups -- Raptors v. Warriors was the finals last year, and a first round matchup here.  But the magic is in the second round matchups -- Blazers v. Bucks could be monster upset in the making if Dame goes off and the Bucks are rusty.  Thunder vs. Heat in a playoff atmosphere sounds super intense.  Clippers v. Mavs (or Spurs - look out for revenge Kawhi!), Sixers v. Celtics, Pelicans v. Lakers (Revenge for Anthony Davis quitting?), and of course, Rockets v. Jazz.  Can't have the playoffs without the Rockets playing the Jazz. 

This way all the teams get to play at least one game, and we get a fun tournament hopefully with some upsets.  You never know. 

I'm not super crazy about a weird 12-team playoff. ...

This way all the teams get to play at least one game, and we get a fun tournament hopefully with some upsets.  You never know. 

If you're going to make it so every team plays at least one game and try a single elimination tournament for a fun postseason, why not use this as a dry run for the midseason tournament concept and really make it work instead:

Top seven seeds at the suspension of the season all clinch a playoff berth beforehand. The other 8 teams in each conference go into a single elimination tournament, giving you:

Magic/Cavaliers
Wizards/Hawks
Hornets/Pistons
Bulls/Knicks

Grizzlies/Warriors
Trailblazers/Timberwolves
Pelicans/Suns
Kings/Spurs

Three round, single elimination tournament. Winners of the tournament get the 8 seed in the playoffs. The team that loses on the East side plays the team that loses on the West side in a 3rd place game. Winner of the 3rd place game gets the #1 pick, loser gets the #2 pick. Rest of the spots go by won-loss record.

Yes, it's basically the Entertaining As Hell Tournament, but this season's been so weird anyway that farfetched times call for farfetched measures.

37 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If you're going to make it so every team plays at least one game and try a single elimination tournament for a fun postseason, why not use this as a dry run for the midseason tournament concept and really make it work instead:

Top seven seeds at the suspension of the season all clinch a playoff berth beforehand. The other 8 teams in each conference go into a single elimination tournament, giving you:

Magic/Cavaliers
Wizards/Hawks
Hornets/Pistons
Bulls/Knicks

Grizzlies/Warriors
Trailblazers/Timberwolves
Pelicans/Suns
Kings/Spurs

Three round, single elimination tournament. Winners of the tournament get the 8 seed in the playoffs. The team that loses on the East side plays the team that loses on the West side in a 3rd place game. Winner of the 3rd place game gets the #1 pick, loser gets the #2 pick. Rest of the spots go by won-loss record.

Yes, it's basically the Entertaining As Hell Tournament, but this season's been so weird anyway that farfetched times call for farfetched measures.

I’m down

How strange is it that the second and third best players on the second Bulls three-peat were both small school players who grew more than half a foot after graduating high school?

I mean, there can't be that many guys in NBA history that had that late as large of growth spurt so, ever. Much less two (future Hall of Fame) teammates.

Hell, I think they were even both on the 1986 NAIA All-American team.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Putting aside whether or not this is a good idea - I don't know how you can do it where some teams can practice but others can't

Like as ass backwards as the NFL is - if one team can't open, none of the teams can open

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, RIPPA said:

Putting aside whether or not this is a good idea - I don't know how you can do it where some teams can practice but others can't

Like as ass backwards as the NFL is - if one team can't open, none of the teams can open

All they are doing is letting players work out individually in team facilities.  No group workouts or organized practices.

The league said that they'd make other arrangements for players who live in areas where team facility can't be opened.

Old Man Jordan is interesting. He posted his 3rd highest ever usage rate in the 2001-2002 season, and combined it with his worst ever true shooting percentage. (Like, really bad. Different game and all, but it would have been the second worst in the NBA last year. It was still in the bottom 10% the year that it happened. Speedy Claxton was his neighbor.) He improved both the following season, suggesting an entirely reasonable link between load and efficiency. Where would those axes have intersected optimally? And would he have been willing to live in that space? Obviously we can't say, though it does seem to me likely that he could've been an incredible role player on a great team, if his temperament would have allowed it.    

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:19 PM, RIPPA said:

The Hawks and Mavs have already said they're not going to be re-opening facilities until they're convinced it's safe, which they do not believe it is.

I'm watching Game 7 of the 2005 Eastern Finals (sorry Kelvin) and Miami ran several meaningful minutes with Shaq and Zo on the court together.

The past is a foreign country my friends.

Edit: and both teams work so hard to get open 17-20 foot jumpers. 

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Sad 1

Continuing my aughts Pistons love: Ben Wallace, as you probably remember, won DPOY 4 times in five years. But did you know the one year in there he didn't win (04, Artest got it) he posted the Defensive RTG in NBA history, and the Pistons posted the best team DRTG in league history as well. And then Ben lowered his DRTG 3 more points in the playoffs, for the best post season run ever. (All numbers based on minimum minutes and games played, etc.

For his five year peak, Ben was arguably the greatest Defensive player since Bill Russell (David Robinson has the best case for it other than Ben)

He didn't make the finalist list for the Hall of Fame this year.

• Like 2

Gee why would those two average more ppg??? Let’s look at a statistical breakdown from those seasons:

Kobe Bryant 02-03 82 GP, 23.5 FGA, 45.1 FG%, 4.0 3PA, 38.3 3P%, 8.7 FTA, 84.3 FT%, 5.9 AST 

Shaq 02-03 67 GP 18.1 FGA, 57.4 FG%, 0 3PA, 10.8 FTA, 62.2 FT% , 3.1 AST

Harden 19-20 61 GP, 22.7 FGA, 43.5 FG%, 12.6 3PA, 35.2 3P%, 11.8 FTA, 86.1 FT%, 7.4 AST 

Westbrook 19-20 53 GP, 22.6 FGA, 47.4 FG%, 3.8 3PA, 25.4 3P%, 6.5 FTA, 77.7 FT%, 7.0 AST 

Defensive Stats 

Kobe 02-03 6.9 RPG, 2.2 SPG, 0.8 BPG, 3.5 TOV 

Shaq 02-03 11.1 RPG, 0.6 SPG, 2.4 BPG, 2.9 TOV 

Harden 19-20 6.4 RPG, 1.7 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 4.5 TOV 

Westbrook 19-20 8.0 RPG, 1.7 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 4.5 TOV

Clearly taking all the stats into account the Laker duo were both more valuable than either of the Rockets were. As for the scoring look no further than the 3PA, 3P%, and higher FT% (higher than Shaq I mean). 

But hey let’s prop up two more guys who are a combined 0-2 in the NBA finals, and have never sniffed the Finals without KD. 

• Haha 1