DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

In case you missed arguing about basketball, Action Network is doing a 64-man NBA One-on-One tournament.  Rules are to 11 by 1s and 2s, loser's ball.  They'll be simming it in 2k over the weekend

Not going to do a full bracket but my gut says Kawhi over Harden in the finals.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I can't even begin to explain the panic that entered my head when I heard about Doris, followed by the relief in hearing that it seems like she's going to be okay. Oh my gosh it was a tense little bit of time here.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That sound you just heard was Knicks fans falling on their knees to pray.  

I'll let you figure out what they're praying for.

A speedy recovery?

• Haha 3

Hall of Fame class of 2020

Kobe Bryant

Tim Duncan

Kevin Garnett

Tamika Catchings

Kim Mulkey

Barbara Stevens

Eddie Sutton

Rudy Tomjanovich. 

PatrickBaumann 

---------

The '04 Pistons remain the oldest champion without a single Hall of Fame player. And every team that has won one since that doesn't already have somebody in has at least one player that's more or less a lock.

Since I've lost about 20 hours a week at work, I have free time, and I'm watching the 2004 NBA finals again, and I totally forgot that in the entire five game series, Medvedenko's ten points in game five was the only time a Laker other than Shaq or Kobe scored double digits.

The first four games was the first time, regular season or playoffs, in NBA history a team went four straight games where only the same two players had any double digit scoring games. As much as the 04 Pistons team is remembered for defense and the big upset, I think people forget just how staggeringly well they destroyed the Laker role players. And they didn't exactly make it easy on Shaq and Kobe either.

There are four Lakers players, both head coaches, one Laker assistant coach, and a referee from these finals in the hall of fame, but still not a single Pistons player, somehow.

• Like 2

You may want to sit down for this, but Donovan Mitchell is still really, REALLY pissed at Rudy Gobert. 

Can't imagine why. 

Hope Rudy enjoyed his time in America.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Since I've lost about 20 hours a week at work, I have free time, and I'm watching the 2004 NBA finals again, and I totally forgot that in the entire five game series, Medvedenko's ten points in game five was the only time a Laker other than Shaq or Kobe scored double digits.

The first four games was the first time, regular season or playoffs, in NBA history a team went four straight games where only the same two players had any double digit scoring games. As much as the 04 Pistons team is remembered for defense and the big upset, I think people forget just how staggeringly well they destroyed the Laker role players. And they didn't exactly make it easy on Shaq and Kobe either.

There are four Lakers players, both head coaches, one Laker assistant coach, and a referee from these finals in the hall of fame, but still not a single Pistons player, somehow.

Yup. Total bullshit. 

Reeeeaaaalllly wishing I had FSD right now. I miss basketball so damn much and it would be so cool to watch these games again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You may want to sit down for this, but Donovan Mitchell is still really, REALLY pissed at Rudy Gobert. 

Can't imagine why. 

Hope Rudy enjoyed his time in America.

Naah, this just means some team is going to get a steal of a trade.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don’t mean to say the Pistons were not an amazing team that year, cause they clearly were, but I’m not sure if any one player on those Pistons teams SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame, which is why I think there win was most impressive.

To put in perspective, that Pistons team was like playing a team in a video game were every starter is rated from 85-90, and the team they played against had two rated 95-99 but no one else above 80. Add in that Ben Wallace and Rip Hamilton were about as good of a defensive counter you could have for Kobe and Shaq in the NBA at the time, and the obvious result went down.

More or less, what I’m trying to say being a team that won an NBA Championship without a Hall of Fame player is what makes that team so cool. As for management, I can totally buy the team that took that random assortment of parts into that stating 5 does probably deserve to get in the Hall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

How the fuck, with the Bulls being so mediocre for most of the century, did he stay GM for 22 years????

He's only been GM since 2009, he was a scout from 1998 to 2004, then Director of Player Personnel from 2004 to 2009.  He was part of the weird "GarPax" upper management team with John Paxson where they were basically teflon until now with Forman being fired and Paxson reassigned from Vice President of Basketball Operations(which he moved to after being GM from 2003 to 2009) to an advisory role.

• Thanks 1