DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

18 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

FACT: Kyle Lowry was a Houston Rocket.

FACT: Kyle Lowry led the Raptors to the title, not Kawhi.

Thanks for trading Kyle to us for a bag of magic beans lol ????

Kyle had lead us to be an elite Eastern Conference playoff team...Kawhi helped get us over the hump to become champions. The key for us to win this year is elevated game play from Pascal and OG to make up for the loss of Kawhi. But Kyle is the rock this team is build on. And by far the best Raptor ever, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Thanks for trading Kyle to us for a bag of magic beans lol ????

Kyle had lead us to be an elite Eastern Conference playoff team...Kawhi helped get us over the hump to become champions. The key for us to win this year is elevated game play from Pascal and OG to make up for the loss of Kawhi. But Kyle is the rock this team is build on. And by far the best Raptor ever, in my opinion.

Agreed.  there should be a Kyle Lowry statute. 

Kyle wanted out, and he hated Kevin McHale (who didn't).  And, I'm not exactly sure of it, but the assets we did get probably contributed to getting Harden the next year.

14 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Agreed.  there should be a Kyle Lowry statute. 

Kyle wanted out, and he hated Kevin McHale (who didn't).  And, I'm not exactly sure of it, but the assets we did get probably contributed to getting Harden the next year.

That 12th pick was part of the Harden package...so much for my bag of magic beans theory lol. Let's call that trade a win/win ??

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

But Houston hasn't won anything. 

And since the Harden trade, the following teams are officially chokers and losers who haven't won anything:

Bucks

Knicks

Pacers

Nets

Bulls

76ers

Pistons

Wizards

Hornets / Bobcats

Magic

Thunder

Nuggets

Clippers

Grizzlies

Lakers

Jazz

Mavericks

Blazers

Timberwolves

Kings

Suns

Pelicans / Hornets

How pathetic of those teams not to win a championship. All a bunch of chokers / losers.  And, hell, the Heat, Spurs, Cavs, Raptors, and even the Golden State Warriors choked and lost in the playoffs those years they didn't win a championship between 2013-present. 

Let's face facts.  The entire NBA is a bunch of choker / losers if they didn't win a ring any particular year.  Why do we even watch? 

RINGS culture is an abomination.  Enjoy the game.  Otherwise, Robert Horry is the best player of the modern era.  And you can't have that since he won his first two championships in Houston. 

Giannis has a weird inferiority beef with Harden, always wants to put him down. Picked Kemba before Harden because he wanted “someone who passed.” Decided to have everyone post up Harden “because he doesn’t play defense.”

Team Giannis lost the All Star game because of that idiocy. 

Giannis has taken physical shots at Harden in games, too. He wouldn’t try that at the hotel. Harden is jacked. Giannis is just jealous at how Harden wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest hotel restaurants, and hangs out with the hottest dudes.  

Rockets v. Bucks a possible Finals preview? 

LOL the Bucks will lose before then.  FACT: in the Giannis Era, the Bucks have been out of the first round exactly ONCE!  What a choker. Giannis's choke job against Toronto is not talked about enough.  What a loser. 

Is this how the NBA thread is normally like? Because while I know Giannis and Harden have issues with each other that's still a whole lot of unnecessary shit talking.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

25 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Is this how the NBA thread is normally like? Because while I know Giannis and Harden have issues with each other that's still a whole lot of unnecessary shit talking.

Giannis has issues with Harden. Harden doesn't even have internet.

Without home crowds, how are the refs going to be affected? I’d be terrified that they’ll just enforce league agenda, like they did with Giannis in the Celtics game where he should’ve fouled out at least 3 times. 

i feel like the League wants Lakers vs Bucks for their Finals. Might be fine with Clippers, but probably wants LeBron. Anyone beating the Bucks in the East is a disaster for the league. 

Rockets winning is obviously worst case scenario.

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If you are asking if it's Lawful making posts about how awesome his guy is and how much everyone else sucks, then yes. It's the reason I don't talk basketball here at all. My suggestion is just put him on ignore and move on.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

If you are asking if it's Lawful making posts about how awesome his guy is and how much everyone else sucks, then yes. It's the reason I don't talk basketball here at all. My suggestion is just put him on ignore and move on.

I hate putting people on ignore unless they personally attack me.  I'm back and forth on this one but since he's fine in the wrestling threads where I normally am I'll just let it go.  Besides, if my reason for jumping back into basketball is going to cause that mess then it's not worth the hassle.  I know who I like and why so fuck it.  And the crazy thing is it started with me saying why my favorite guy should have been fouled out.  It's just puzzling more than anything else.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I mean, I only use the criteria used to critique Harden to critique other more beloved players. I generally use my ire to point out that Giannis has a far higher rate of choking when it matters than Harden, and I merely suggested that Kawhi is overrated and benefits from being on superior teams. 

that and Harden is pretty great. I think I was worse when Westbrook won MVP over Harden in some bullshit. Now I love Russ but he gives me heart attacks 

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I mean, I only use the criteria used to critique Harden to critique other more beloved players. I generally use my ire to point out that Giannis has a far higher rate of choking when it matters than Harden, and I merely suggested that Kawhi is overrated and benefits from being on superior teams. 

that and Harden is pretty great. I think I was worse when Westbrook won MVP over Harden in some bullshit. Now I love Russ but he gives me heart attacks 

Well, I forgot to say it before but while I haven't seen too much of Harden from what I saw I do like him.  Sweet beard, really great player and I get the hype.  So I don't have any ill will towards him or anybody in the league.  Now I'm not expecting you to say something nice about Giannis though that would be a nice surprise.  But when it comes to me at least your ire might be better used for somebody that watches the sport a lot more.  I'm not at that point yet and shit talking just isn't my style.

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, I forgot to say it before but while I haven't seen too much of Harden from what I saw I do like him.  Sweet beard, really great player and I get the hype.  So I don't have any ill will towards him or anybody in the league.  Now I'm not expecting you to say something nice about Giannis though that would be a nice surprise.  But when it comes to me at least your ire might be better used for somebody that watches the sport a lot more.  I'm not at that point yet and shit talking just isn't my style.

Apologies, I try to keep my focus on the actual play and not on the posters. 

i think the NBA has a media problem and a narratives problem, wherein they cover and hype up certain things in certain years and other things in other years. Like for example, Harden has the best offensive year in history, but because Westbrook’s averages equaled the mythical triple double (team did worse, scored less, assisted less, but averaged 1.5 more rebounds than Harden) he got the MVP. 

oh and RINGS culture where if you don’t win a championship you’re a choker loser etc. especially bad in the SUPERTEAM era, like Golden State wasn’t a juggernaut that did crush every other team and Harden didn’t have a true all star until this year. We still would’ve beaten them If CP3 didn’t get injured. 

and a SUPERTEAM problem where players can quit on a team(s) just because they want to play in LA with another superstar (Kawhi, Paul George, AD). That’s another thing I give credit to Harden for: when the best we’ve given him is a broken down Dwight and a forever injured Chris Paul, he’s never been a problem off the court. Never a malcontent, always on board even with seriously shitty coaching (McHale, Bickerstaff). You can’t ask for more from your top guy. 

People say his game is ugly? Step back is beautiful and impossible to stop. Don’t like him going to the free throw line? Don’t foul him. Never passes? Leads league in assists. Doesn’t play defense? Ask Giannis. 

I won’t stop talking up my Harden. Yeah, he had a bad game for him, but for anyone else it’s still a great game, and he brought it in the clutch when we needed it. And it’s nice to finally have another all star that can take over a game when we need him to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Apologies, I try to keep my focus on the actual play and not on the posters. 

Thank you for that.  No offense taken and I hope I didn't come across like I was sensitive to whatever.  I was just puzzled by some things but it's all good.

But as for the game itself kudos to the Rockets for the win.  I saw all but the last couple minutes due to falling asleep and it was pretty darn entertaining.  Which with how things are with sports being back on that's all I ask for at this point.  Even if in your words Harden didn't have have his best game he still did pretty well.  And I liked what I saw from Westbrook as well.  On the Bucks side without talking about you-know-who I feel the team in general had a good showing.  So as long as it wasn't a blow out I'm good with that.

With baseball being a shit show behind the scenes it makes the games feel not that important.  I still love my O's and watch when I remember but it's just hard to get invested.  I think one thing we can agree on is that basketball is doing a helluva job with how it treats the COVID situation so that takes out the issues baseball has.  Same with hockey too for that matter.  And with basketball having generally more entertaining games it takes away the awkwardness of the empty arena situations.  I also really love how much they're diving into the BLM aspect and it made me appreciate the league in general that much more.  So anyway, have fun with your love for the Rockets and Harden.  We'll see how things play out this season but for now I'll catch you in the wrestling forums.

Question for my friend @Lawful Metal

Going by your views on Harden and his regular season excellence and some impressive playoff stats equating him to being the best player in the league, does the Raptor's league best 71.6% win percentage and +6.8 point differential over the last 3 years make them the best team in the league?