DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2020 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

RULES:
You get five predictions. Your five predictions must be different from everyone else. In the case of someone posting duplicates, whoever posted it first will get it.
Can't be super vague. (ex. a UFC belt will only be defended twice. However, the UFC middleweight title will switch hands twice is acceptable.) I am not going to try to figure out what you Simply saying "X will fight for/win/defend the __________ title" or any other variation is prohibited. If you want to do that, you can just put that in your tiebreakers like any other year.
Predictions of events that are pretty much a foregone conclusion will be automatically disqualified. I will ask you to substitute or add on to that prediction. Examples would be:

• Jon Jones with either rematch Thiago Santos or Dominick Reyes or fight Jan Błachowicz.
  • Daniel Cormier will retire after fighting Stipe Miocic for a third time.
  • Anthony Joshua will not fight Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury in the next twelve months.

Weird stuff like drug tests, injuries, and deaths, we will stay away from because of obvious reasons and it lacks creativity.

First one to three or the closest to three correct predictions wins. The tiebreak, if needed, will be the UFC champions on February 7, 2021 (Super Bowl Sunday). No two people can have the exact same twelve champions on their list .Remember, I will generally side with the more specific ones especially if two or more people get three correct. If both have three quality correct predictions, I will then go to the tiebreaker.

HW (265lbs):
LHW (205lbs):
MW (185lbs):
WW (170lbs):
LW (155lbs):
FW (145lbs):
BW (135lbs):
FlyW (125lbs):
Women's Featherweight (145lbs):
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):
Women's Strawweight (115lbs):

2014 winner: grizzlyedwin
2015 winner: Hail Sabin
2016 winner: DreamBroken
2017 winner: AxB
2018 winner: Hail Sabin
2019 winner: Setsuna

The contest deadline will be February 22, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. CST, which is the start of the Wilder vs. Fury II PPV.

The first (1st) place winner will get one free month of ESPN+ and also one (1) UFC on ESPN+ PPV of their choice in 2021.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• RIPPA pinned this topic

1. Stipe Miocic will retain his HW title in his trilogy fight with Daniel Cormier before losing it to Francis Ngannou in their rematch from UFC 220.
2. Khabib Nurmagomedov will have a fight of the year candidate with Tony Ferguson and successfully defend his lightweight title.
3. Valentina Shevchenko will go 3-0 in the year 2020, which sets up a trilogy with Amanda Nunes.
4. Conor McGregor will get another win in 2020, but not win a UFC championship.
5. The UFC will have multiple events with three title fights.

HW (265lbs): Francis Ngannou
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones
MW (185lbs): Israel Adesanya
WW (170lbs): Kamaru Usman
LW (155lbs): Khabib Nurmagomedov
FW (145lbs): Alexander Volkanovski
BW (135lbs): Henry Cejudo
FlyW (125lbs): Joseph Benavidez
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Weili Zhang

1. Cowboy Cerrone will not win an MMA fight in 2020
  2. At least two UFC champions will retain their belts all year, with at least three successful defences each
  3. In more than one fight in 2020, Jon Jones will be warned for fingers towards the eye/ eye pokes at least three times without having a point deducted in any fight.
  4. At no point in the year will there be a UFC fight for an interim title. However the BMF title will be defended.
  5.  Two or more fighters will start the year in Cage Warriors, fight at least once in a the UFC, and be back in Cage Warriors by the end of the year.

HW (265lbs): Alexander Volkov
LHW (205lbs): Johnny Walker
MW (185lbs): Darren Till
WW (170lbs): Jorge Masvidal
LW (155lbs): Tony Ferguson
FW (145lbs): Brian Ortega
FlyW (125lbs): Deiveson Figueiredo
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): VACANT due to lack of challengers
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Irene Aldana
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Marina Rodrieguez

• Like 2

1. Clarissa Shields vs. Amanda Nunes will Happen ( Much cleaner then my 1st idea of Shields becoming Ultimo Dragon in the Time Frame) 
2. Khabib Nurmagomedov will lose to Tony Ferguson and  lose his title.
3. Jake Hager and Thunder Rosa will fight in MMA in the time frame
4. Joanna will become JOANNA Champion AGAIN! 
5.  Tyson Fury will win a WWE Title

6.  If one of the above is illegal Cormier Wrestles Brock 

HW (265lbs): Francis Ngannou
MW (185lbs): Israel Adesanya
WW (170lbs): Kamaru Usman
LW (155lbs): Tony Ferguson 
FlyW (125lbs): Joseph Benavidez
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Megan Anderson 
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):  Amanda Nunes 
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Weili Zhang

@Hail Sabin I will allow the Fury WWE title thing.

I am going to allow anyone else to get their predictions in and use the 8 p.m. CT as a soft deadline. However, if you make or change your predictions after that deadline, anything related to the Wilder/Fury fight or something related to the outcome is off limits at the deadline. An example would be "(insert Deontay Wilder/Tyson Fury) will win their fight and then go on unify the belts at heavyweight." So after 8 p.m. Central, anything directly related to that fight won't count. You can say however "X will go on and win the third fight with Y at the end of 2020". I will allow that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

i'll see what I can throw together here...

1. Miranda Maverick will win the Invicta Flyweight Championship and then debut in UFC later this year.

2. Dominick Cruz finally returns, fights twice in the year, and wins at least one by stoppage.

3. Chris Weidman will bounce back and go unbeaten through multiple fights this year

4. Nicco Montano will get a fight announced but then her opponent will pull out this time.

5. Jinh Yu Frey moves up to strawweight, signs with UFC and wins her debut fight.

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
MW (185lbs): Paulo Costa
WW (170lbs): Jorge Masvidal
LW (155lbs): Conor McGregor 
FlyW (125lbs): Deiveson Figueiredo 
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Joanne Calderwood
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Jedrzejczyk 

Hah, AxB has been predicting Volkov as heavyweight champ for 3 or 4 years running? I don't know if he's serious at this point or if he's playing a gimmick. Volkov definitely has some of the better boxing skills in the division but I don't know man... 

42 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hah, AxB has been predicting Volkov as heavyweight champ for 3 or 4 years running? I don't know if he's serious at this point or if he's playing a gimmick. Volkov definitely has some of the better boxing skills in the division but I don't know man... 

I will say this, I feel better about him being champion now than in past years especially if Cormier is only fighting against Stipe and that's it for him. He's still going to need some strange shit to happen though and also somehow figure out to have a stellar performance everytime out.

• Like 1

Volkov would have fought for the title already, if it weren't for the last few seconds of the Derek Lewis fight. And I think he's a bad style match for Stipe.