DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber X - 3/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I might be in the minority, but I don't think Meltzer's ratings have that much relevancy anymore. First, Wrestling has become far more accessible since the tape trading days.

Secondly, Meltzer himself has been consistantly destroying his star-ratings' legitamacy since 2013 when he began throwing around 4+ ratings for roughly everything and lots of trainwreck Multi-Men matches. This card is not much different, no way this had one 3.5* and two 4* matches. 

If you like the wrestling Dave currently likes, his ratings may work, but ultimately he rates stuff high that he likes. If he DOES use sth like a criteria catalogue (sth I remember reading eons ago), he seems to bend said criteria to his needs to sell his ideas. This is not exclusive to him btw, but he is the only dude who still generates reaction by slapping a * on something. 

Gulak v Bryan was the strongest match for me, but subjectively not a 4* match by the way, in case you were wandering. 

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

If you like the wrestling Dave currently likes, his ratings may work

Ultimately this is the only reason anyone still cares - he somehow provides credibility to the case that Omega or whoever is the best wrestler ever, so people can cite him as if that makes it more "true."

• Thanks 1

To be fair, it's not like it's only Dave that rated Omega or Okada or Omega vs Okada matches so high. Wade, Bruce, Alvarez... Pretty much all the people who have been doing newsletters) star ratings/etc for years and years.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

To be fair, it's not like it's only Dave that rated Omega or Okada or Omega vs Okada matches so high. Wade, Bruce, Alvarez... Pretty much all the people who have been doing newsletters) star ratings/etc for years and years.

Did they go as over the top as Dave and break with their own rating systems? I genuinely don't know, as I became disillusioned with star ratings before all of that. I feel like the backlash against Dave would have been far less pronounced if he hadn't started saying NJPW matches were far better than any match he'd ever reviewed. I personally am more inclined to listen to a "Kenny Omega is a great wrestler" argument than a "Kenny Omega is the best wrestler ever" argument. I always felt like Dave's criteria was inconsistent, but it seemed to really go haywire around that time. 

I don't think the Torch went over five, but I think all the Omega/Okada matches got five.

(Also, I'm not sure any of them are calling Omega the best ever. Alvarez says Okada is, Dave says it's too soon to say that but he should be a unanimous Hall of Famer first year eligible, etc. When Omega is on, he's really great, but this has been Okada's generation)