DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber X - 3/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Surprised to see so much love for the tag chamber. Yeah there were some cool “momentz” but there were several points where guys looked completely at a loss, one in particular where Otis literally got into the ring, then back out, then back in again. The production didn’t help showing this in a closeup, but I guess they couldn’t go to wide because they didn’t want to show Lince climbing the chamber. Dumb.

Also, Tom Phillips doubling down on the played out “[X] loves to have fun with the WWE Universe!” re: Montez Ford, after Lawler rightfully calling him out on it, was fucking hilarious. Lawler is rough to listen to on commentary but he shut that down hard saying something along the lines of “No, it’s about retaining your championship” and Tom laughed him off like “ok, boomer.” I’d pay cash money to hear a Jesse the Body absolutely bury this line on live commentary.

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Part of this shitty main event angle is due to having Charlotte win the women's Rumble. She's Charlotte Flair. She could've showed up on nXt tv and said "I'm Charlotte. I ran this place. I want Rhea." There. Match set. Having to now come up with two #1 contenders in the span of just a few weeks is fucking stupid, and it's a problem they booked themselves into.

Charlotte winning and being goaded into challenging Rhea was fine. Shayna already had enough to challenge Becky naturally from the feud that started at SS to her just having been a recently dominant champion in NXT. Charlotte just going into NXT and demanding a shot would have been random as fuck and shat on by everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh I don't mind them trying Shayna in the main event scene and all that but booking her as Brock is a giant mistake.  There's no reason why she can't be a badass but ALSO have back and forths with some of the women especially someone on Asuka's level..  

What makes Shayna's push here even odder is when you consider that part of her being so dominant in NXT was also her being willing to take shortcuts. She was a dangerous badass, but she also narrowly escaped losing her title multiple times by using the other Horsewomen. She was not a Brock level monster or anything. I'm not sure why they think that is the way to go now.

• Like 1

The easiest fix of all this is to have The Fiend never challenge for the title,  Goldberg squashes smug Seth who thinks he's just "OLDBERG" and then Roman wins like a Fatal 4 Way or something on Smackdown so it's inoffensive. 

Shayna wins the Rumble coming from NXT to challenge Becky.  

Drew still wins Men's Rumble and eliminates Lesnar.  He's the one thing that's been booked well.  

If Charlotte must challenge Rhea then do something on NXT TV and skip the whole part of her winning the rumble.  

Elimination Chamber matches can be for the tag titles still  AND the Smackdown women have an Elimination chamber match to determine who challenges Bayley. 

How's all that sound? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

What makes Shayna's push here even odder is when you consider that part of her being so dominant in NXT was also her being willing to take shortcuts. She was a dangerous badass, but she also narrowly escaped losing her title multiple times by using the other Horsewomen. She was not a Brock level monster or anything. I'm not sure why they think that is the way to go now.

My favourite iteration of Shayna in NXT was before she started having to use Marina and Jessamyn for ineffectual run-ins, and I hope they don't become part of her main roster work any time soon. As a character she's good enough at projecting herself as an unlikable and vicious heel on her own. As for the main event, I thought it was logically booked even if two pauses was odd--Becky's obnoxiously overconfident character makes a lot more sense if Shayna's a monster and she's overlooking the threat, and there wasn't any suspense going into the match anyway so may as well make Shayna look as strong as possible. Plus it wasn't only tapouts, as shown by her brutality towards Liv and Natalya. The only thing for me is it made the decision to have her go back and forth with Kairi on Raw for 12 minutes even more mystifying, tonight would have felt even more impactful if that had been a quick and dominant win too.

Also, the decision to have Charlotte win the Rumble and challenge Rhea was also a way of elevating NXT by showing it as important enough to be the target of a Rumble winner's challenge. Even if it had been played the way some are advocating with her just randomly showing up on NXT TV and calling Rhea out, I have a feeling people would have disliked it anyway--see for reference the fans who were initially paranoid about her beating Bayley at Summerslam and then angered by her challenging Trish instead even though it ended up being a very good match. (There's also room for a feud between her and Shayna post-Mania, calling back to the end of the Rumble, assuming Shayna and Rhea both win at Mania.) 

• Like 1

Man, some of y'all are living on Mars.

The main event was laid out horribly, but literally none of that was Shayna's fault. No one can fill 10 minutes of standing around and taunting and make it interesting. To suggest that she has no charisma, can't connect with the crowd, and is somehow not as good as Sasha fucking Banks (and that one wasn't even Niners!) tells me that this is the first Shayna Baszler match some of you have watched.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This was not on Shayna. They gave away the finish week’s in advance and then booked the match to show zero doubt of the winner and then inserted long stretches when nothing was happening in a goddam Elimination Chamber. Shayna is good, maybe even great when given the chance, but she is not Brock Lesnar and they shouldn’t have even tried to book her like that. And certainly not as the main event, few of those ladies were ready for that spotlight. I still think Shayna/Becky will be good but this was a major misstep.

Props to Lince Dorado for that dive, it was balls out. And am I the only one who sees big things for both guys in Heavy Machinery? I think they’d be great as heels and even as singles wrestlers.

Booking the Ace as an unstoppably invulnerable immortal destroyer is pretty much Vince McMahon's whole deal. It's why I could never understand people hating Super Cena but having warm nostalgia for Super Stone Cold, or Hulkamoronia.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They can't make Shayna a Brock clone because there's only one Brock Lesnar.  Whatever you want to say about Brock he is a freak of nature and one of the most complete in-ring talents in WWE history who also will bump like a fucking madman to get shit over..  

Shayna is okay but she's not that so they better not think she can be Brock.. nobody can. 

Shayna's real fight credentials also aren't as impressive as Brock or Ronda so it's harder to buy her as this unstoppable force. 15-11 is obviously better than I would do with a mma career, but it's not a great record. Shayna would be way better in a more minor role as someone's muscle than as a main event killer.

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Man, some of y'all are living on Mars.

The main event was laid out horribly, but literally none of that was Shayna's fault. No one can fill 10 minutes of standing around and taunting and make it interesting. To suggest that she has no charisma, can't connect with the crowd, and is somehow not as good as Sasha fucking Banks (and that one wasn't even Niners!) tells me that this is the first Shayna Baszler match some of you have watched.

I don't think anyone suggested it was Shayna's fault, that she can't connect to a crowd, that she has no charisma, or that she was not as good as Sasha. The only thing that was said (by me) was that she isn't super charismatic which is true. Not super charismatic is not the same thing as no charisma. You seem to have picked up on comments I made and decided turn them up to the 11 for some strange reason. Please stop.