DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 2/21/2020 at 8:18 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Henry Winkler was sub 5’6”, and he was a bigger crossover icon than Hulk Hogan ever was in the 80’s. So Orange Cassidy still has a chance to be “The Guy” that carries this company to even bigger success. ?

what did he crossover from?  Happy Days to Macgyver?

Well he did an episode of Laverne & Shirley. I think Fonz was on Mork, but I’m not sure. There was also the cartoon, lunch boxes, and he might’ve appeared as the character on a variety program. Fonzie was everywhere. Orange Cassidy can be that for kids today. Just think of the potential in a Orange Cassidy Netflix animated series. I can see it now... Orange Cassidy & His Best Friends.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

My two cents: Within the world of modern nonsensical professional wrestling logic, those things are being done by wrestlers actively pursuing a victory or working towards some goal. Orange Cassidy passively taking beatings doesn't gel with that logic. Orange Cassidy's play kicks, which he knows will provoke beatings, don't get with that logic. When it's assumed that the wider audience being exposed to him in AEW is supposed to just get it and play along, it's understandable why there's push back. There's a reasonable case against him. I find that to be a far cry from "close to perfect booking."

To me Orange Cassidy is basically a heel in his actions. He does what he does to provoke.  He’s not expecting to be beaten so much as to provoke.  Sometimes he gets his way, sometimes he doesn’t.  

I’m not sure what there is to get about these antics that isn’t plainly obvious?  Wrestling has a long history of wrestlers taunting their opponents, and OC’s antics are really not so different. Just more clever and original than most anybody since Maivia insisted on dropping a silly taunting elbow.

Near perfect booking in that they’ve slowly built him up and let him be known enough to want to know more before unleashing him.    

How does one "unleash" Orange Cassidy, exactly?

I like him, and think that some of AEWs best moments have involved him, but OC doesn't have that much of a ceiling on a weekly show. The second he starts, you know, doing things, the magic of the character is gone. If, for example, he had a match like he had with David Starr on Dynamite or on ppv, his character would have to significantly change, IMO.

The David Starr match was in Beyond Wrestling. Watch any of his Beyond matches that took place after it* and see how compromised his character is.

*There's plenty on YouTube. The Tracy Williams and Warhorse matches are both really good. I haven't yet watched the Kylie Ray one, but I heard it was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't see how this is a toothpaste is out of the bottle situation at all with Cassidy. He can always start a match off with the nonchalance and have that persona with him until he gets fucked up. It's silly but so is the character even though it works for the majority.

• Like 1

Was on GCW Beg for Mercy last year. Gage stapled OC's hands to his pockets. Was pretty genius. Building a match around Nick Gage selling a leg less so. Orange did his usual indie main event level type of match though except he's a member of the elite club of wrestlers who can apply a figure four around the ringpost without it looking like shit (poor, poor Kenny, hah!). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Man not enough people watched Orange vs Nick Fucking Gage

Shit, I forgot that happened.  I'll have to check it out.

It's funny as in talking about the PPV one of my friends had no clue about Orange as he sees the occasional episode.  But since he was curious I basically said that he "generally doesn't give a fuck unless he has to give a fuck"  And after pointing out stuff like the Starr match even without seeing yet he loves the guy.  I'm not expecting mainstream appeal because who the fuck knows anymore, but Orange has something unique and will do pretty damn well for himself.

Speaking of Orange it turns out for next month's MCW show he's being advertised for it.  Which is great as I'd love to meet him but sucks because after going Saturday I could do without seeing a MCW show again.  But if I do go I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

To me Orange Cassidy is basically a heel in his actions. He does what he does to provoke.  He’s not expecting to be beaten so much as to provoke.  Sometimes he gets his way, sometimes he doesn’t.

This is a strange way to describe a babyface.

Also, if he doesn't expect to get beaten then he's not learning his lesson from all the experience he's had receiving beatings. 

AEW isn't Beyond. It's a major promotion with a weekly network show where wins and losses are supposed to matter. If OC beats PAC, for example, it's going to be a big deal. And if he gets a string of big wins against major names then he'll stop being "funny side character" and become "major player". And it'll be hard for people to buy in to the idea if they try to turn him back into "funny side character.'

I don’t have an issue with the Orange Cassidy presentation, I’d just like to see some progression. He’s been doing the same schtick for a while now and it was never that entertaining to me so I want to see all the hubbub y’all are talking about and I want to see it in AEW.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is a strange way to describe a babyface.

Also, if he doesn't expect to get beaten then he's not learning his lesson from all the experience he's had receiving beatings. 

He’s a strange character, no?  And certainly not the first to use unorthodox methods - refer if you will to the coliseum video title ‘biggest baddest strangest and the strongest’ and prepare to have your mind blown badboy. Or for more modern fare try one of the many Steve Austin comps.  Pretty certain Austin used many trad heel moves in his ascent to the top of the industry.

As for expecting/not expecting a beating, I’d suggest He just does not give a fuck what happens. 

2 hours ago, mystman said:

AEW isn't Beyond. It's a major promotion with a weekly network show where wins and losses are supposed to matter. If OC beats PAC, for example, it's going to be a big deal. And if he gets a string of big wins against major names then he'll stop being "funny side character" and become "major player". And it'll be hard for people to buy in to the idea if they try to turn him back into "funny side character.'

I really don’t think he needs to get overly serious or change in any drastic way.  He starts cool as all shit in his Canadian tuxedo and takes a few hits then turns on the gas. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

He’s like John Cena. You’ll ruffle his feathers to the point he’ll go to dark places, but at the end the day he’s as smooth as a tall glass of OJ, and you will never truly change him.

Guys let’s all put ourselves in an adult sized trench coat, say we are Ron Reise, and get a EVP position. Because we clearly have the goods where it counts. That’s in the noggin.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s like John Cena. You’ll ruffle his feathers to the point he’ll go to dark places, but at the end the day he’s as smooth as a tall glass of OJ, and you will never truly change him.

Guys let’s all put ourselves in an adult sized trench coat, say we are Ron Reise, and get a EVP position. Because we clearly have the goods where it counts. That’s in the noggin.

If we're going to say we're Ron Reis, we should probably wrap ourselves in toilet paper and find someone to dry hump.

or as I call it...Tuesday night

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 3

When Orange Cassidy get an action figure, the actual figure will be bare chested with an elbow pad. But the alternate will be in the double denim, with his hands in his pockets, with zero points of articulation. And everyone will want the alternate.

• Like 3