DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Darby, Sammy, Jungle Boy and MJF all look like the obvious next batch of main eventers in a few years. Darby and MJF are already toying with that level.

Kip Sabian has a good look and cockiness but needs to get his shit together to really move on to the next level.

And let's not forget that Hangman's only 28 too. Hell, Santana and Fenix are under 30 too and I can see those guys potentially being serious single stars down the line too.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Campbell said:

It will be awesome, if Tony Khan, Cody, or whomever is making these decisions decides to pitter patter their feet and get there before we all die of old age. I was as big a fan of Fire Ant as anyone, but, when I first saw this Hands in his Pockets nonsense, I wanted to scream. It's stupid indy garbabge that has it's place in comedy matches involving Ebessan and Stoker Ichikawa. It's not the kind of thing that will play to the casual and lapsed fans that AEW needs to try to convert.

My 62 year old father saw lie down on the floor after the dive sequence a few weeks back, and promptly sent me a text asking "who is this asshole?"

I'm currently looking at my girlfriend (who never cared about wrestling before AEW) wearing her Orange Cassidy shirt, I'm not buying that casuals hate him for a second. Talking to people that don't follow current WWE but checked in to AEW, Orange Cassidy always comes up and it's always positive. I'm not denying or doubting that a casual could have a negative reaction to the gimmick, but speaking big-picture all my evidence is to the contrary.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

It will be awesome, if Tony Khan, Cody, or whomever is making these decisions decides to pitter patter their feet and get there before we all die of old age.

Patience is a virtue.  From another angle, the slow rise of Orange Cassidy is beautiful thing.  Close to perfect booking. 

I was as big a fan of Fire Ant as anyone, but, when I first saw this Hands in his Pockets nonsense, I wanted to scream. It's stupid indy garbabge that has it's place in comedy matches involving Ebessan and Stoker Ichikawa. It's not the kind of thing that will play to the casual and lapsed fans that AEW needs to try to convert.

My 62 year old father saw lie down on the floor after the dive sequence a few weeks back, and promptly sent me a text asking "who is this asshole?"

Demos would suggest the WWE product is more for your 62 year father.  Tho, yeah, your father is right.  Asshole move.  Orange Cassidy does a lot of arrogant, asshole moves - like putting his hands in his pockets to fight.  I don't get how this gimmick exposes anything.  It's purely an arrogant taunt/cocky style.  I'd love to know how anybody finds anything Cassidy does more 'exposing of the business' than a) big strong muscular men and women punching each other as hard as they can without bruises/blood and b) Irish whips.   

I'm a lapsed fan of 15 plus years, I can't speak for everyone who stopped watching whilst Helmsley and his obnoxious wife dominated the shows, but I find Orange Cassidy to be absolutely magnificent.  Pops don't simply equal money, but they do suggest that this Indie to National stage commentary on OC may be completely false.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Huh. Wonder is someone from Konami will catch this one. Then again, I guess Capcom doesn't care about Cody's logo either.

Lol rush n attack right? I don’t think I ever passed the second level despite hours of playing. 

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Patience is a virtue.  From another angle, the slow rise of Orange Cassidy is beautiful thing.  Close to perfect booking. 

Demos would suggest the WWE product is more for your 62 year father.  Tho, yeah, your father is right.  Asshole move.  Orange Cassidy does a lot of arrogant, asshole moves - like putting his hands in his pockets to fight.  I don't get how this gimmick exposes anything.  It's purely an arrogant taunt/cocky style.  I'd love to know how anybody finds anything Cassidy does more 'exposing of the business' than a) big strong muscular men and women punching each other as hard as they can without bruises/blood and b) Irish whips.   

My two cents: Within the world of modern nonsensical professional wrestling logic, those things are being done by wrestlers actively pursuing a victory or working towards some goal. Orange Cassidy passively taking beatings doesn't gel with that logic. Orange Cassidy's play kicks, which he knows will provoke beatings, don't get with that logic. When it's assumed that the wider audience being exposed to him in AEW is supposed to just get it and play along, it's understandable why there's push back. There's a reasonable case against him. I find that to be a far cry from "close to perfect booking."

There are comedy wrestlers I like. But the best at that tend to use a Looney Tunes cartoon version of dumb wrestling logic to actively pursue wins. You can't credit what we've seen of OC in AEW as fitting that mold. 

That David Starr match that was recommended to me by someone here was pretty good. However, that has no bearing on a discussion regarding what AEW's done with him thus far; in six months, who knows? Right now he's a cult figure among AEW's audience and he comes across like a cool dude. But he's a mascot that makes very little sense beyond that role, even in a world that accepts Irish whips as making sense in a fight. Proclamations of major breakout potential are very premature. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm currently looking at my girlfriend (who never cared about wrestling before AEW) wearing her Orange Cassidy shirt, I'm not buying that casuals hate him for a second. Talking to people that don't follow current WWE but checked in to AEW, Orange Cassidy always comes up and it's always positive. I'm not denying or doubting that a casual could have a negative reaction to the gimmick, but speaking big-picture all my evidence is to the contrary.

People like mascots. Thus far, Orange Cassidy is AEW's Gritty: It's horrifying and stupid, but some people are into that sort of thing. 

The thing with Orange Cassidy is, he's a 35 year old, sixteen year pro. Whilst the "Minimum Effort" gimmick might be adding years to his career, he isn't in the Darby/ Sammy/ MJF 'future star' class. He's in the Kenny/ Cody 'get what you can, while you can' class.

Dustin and Jericho are in that class too, but more urgently.

Creative will very likely gradually push him out of that mascot role and into the ring. Whether that be replacing Chuck Taylor (the guy who should long-term be JR's replacement himself - FU if u disagree) in a tag or performing as a singles act. They've had him do dives. They've had him pull off counters. Somebody who really grinds his gears in the midcard can eventually pull more from him and away you go. I don't think he'll be super duper star but he has tapped into the heart of (most) millennials with this routine and he's shown he can keep the essence of the sloth, 2 cool 4 skewl guy while wrestling on the indies. He could be a guy that slots in the upper midcard in the end and be one of the fanbase's darlings. 

• Like 2

I feel like you gotta start with a bit of a nerd that won't get hurt too much by the unexpected OC assault. If you just want Pac to destroy, that's certainly an option as a catalyst for the change in behaviour.

The best thing about that cage match finish was how it actually protected Wardlow. Going in, everyone was wondering how do you keep the muscle looking strong when he's gonna lose his first televised match. Well, is the next guy who faces him going to be able to jump off a 15-foot cage?

• Like 6

Just now, Go2Sleep said:

The best thing about that cage match finish was how it actually protected Wardlow. Going in, everyone was wondering how do you keep the muscle looking strong when he's gonna lose his first televised match. Well, is the next guy who faces him going to be able to jump off a 15-foot cage?

Not to mention him kicking out of both being punched with the ring and taking the Cross Rhodes

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Pops don't simply equal money, but they do suggest that this Indie to National stage commentary on OC may be completely false.    

AEW crowds are the choir and OC is preaching to it. There isn't really a reason yet for anyone to think his gimmick will reach very far past existing AEW/indie fans. Could it happen? Maybe. But I don't get the talk about it being some sure-fire can't-miss mainstream success.

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Demos would suggest the WWE product is more for your 62 year father.  Tho, yeah, your father is right.  Asshole move.  Orange Cassidy does a lot of arrogant, asshole moves - like putting his hands in his pockets to fight

Demos would suggest it, but they'd be incorrect, in this case. His favorite wrestlers right now are Pentagon Jr. and he always gushes about how much Tessa Blanchard reminds him of watching Tully back in the day. 

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I hope you're right. Like I said earlier, I know damn well he can tear down the house when he gets the chance to. I'm hoping it's coming soon. The last couple of weeks, whenever he's done the pockets routine, he's gotten attacked, or nutted, for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I feel like you gotta start with a bit of a nerd that won't get hurt too much by the unexpected OC assault. If you just want Pac to destroy, that's certainly an option as a catalyst for the change in behaviour.

I think there's a couple fun ways to play that. I don't know if you start with PAC, but the end game for me is seeing him lazily get over on the most intense guy on the roster and having PAC blow a fuse. That might even demand OC to fire up slightly to keep up. That's the stuff that would excite me. 

I know what he's doing now excites a large part of their fanbase, but it's not connecting with me. I'm ready to move forward. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I get that but this company has proven up to this point that it's generally going to draw things out for maximum effect.

Yes and no. I remember when some people were calling for them to delay MJF turning on Cody for at least a year. In cases like that, they've shown a willingness to just go ahead and play their hand. 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, eikerir said:

And let's not forget that Hangman's only 28 too. Hell, Santana and Fenix are under 30 too and I can see those guys potentially being serious single stars down the line too.

Rey Fenix wrestles like a man whose greatest aspiration in life it to be in a wheelchair before he turns fifty.  I appreciate his willingness to die for my entertainment, but he'll need to reel sooner or later if he wants longevity in his chosen profession.

Edited by J.T.

46 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Rey Fenix wrestles like a man whose greatest aspiration in life it to be in a wheelchair before he turns fifty.  I appreciate his willingness to die for my entertainment, but he'll need to reel sooner or later if he wants longevity in his chosen profession.

Generally speaking, I agree with you on that, but I can't help but notice how many of the crazy high spot luchadors from Nitro are, somehow, still fucking working. While most of the safer guys have been retired for years. So, what the hell, do crazy suicidal spots, I guess.