DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't think that there is a single person that dislikes OC that is basing their opinion on his height.

Then what’s the issue? If say they do push him seriously. Do you really think he won’t add a “legit” offensive maneuver to counter act the “Too cool for school” attitude silly spots? Because if people are still complaining at that point, then they are going by his height, and weight.

If people were going to take issue with the size of AEW (male) wrestlers, you have to get past Marko and Darby before you get to Orange. Plus, he's actually pretty ripped, even if he isn't bulky.

Also. It's 2020.  If internet fans aren't bothering to do research and only parroting what they see other internet fans saying.  They aren't going to get it.  OC is talented and skilled as fuck. 

Now. If you have done a bit of research and seen more than just his gifs.  Maybe checked out some of his highly regarded matches, and still don't like him, fine.  But OC has a unique combo of stuff to make him a huge star.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now I don’t believe Orange Cassidy has proven yet to have any chance of being a huge star. Except for being very over with crowds. But only in a fun novelty sidekick way. I was being a little cheeky is all. But you never know. He might have a fiery promo in him that nobody expects. He just hasn’t translated his gimmick on a national stage to something that could be taken serious in a world title situation. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It’s kind of odd when you think about it. Orange Cassidy has an almost Arthur Fonzerelli gimmick, and Kris Statlander is Mork from Ork. And apparently they are both dating in real life. It’s the Happy Days gender swap slash fiction fans have wanted for years.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The great deal of confidence surrounding Orange Cassidy isn't just in the fact that his gimmick is as over as anything else on the show, it's that he was fucking Fire Ant and can work his ass off. It's that he has this enormous in-ring upside (at the very least as a tag team wrestler) and when the time comes to actually push the guy in a serious capacity and thereby pull back on the lazy gimmick, he's going to be zinging around the ring like a top-tier Quackenbush trainee. Which is going to be awesome.

giphy.gif

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

If they want to grow their viewership they're going to have to reach outside of their base. That means doing things that crowds aren't necessarily going to be on board with. "Find a breakout star" seems like an easy enough solution, but if the closest thing they have is Orange Cassidy, they have a very long way to go.

They got a lot of potential breakout stars:

I think Cassidy has a ceiling, but Darby and Guevara have that big star in baby stage feel to them.  Kip Sabian has a bit of it as well, but not as much.

I think Statlander could be a big star on the women's side.

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s kind of odd when you think about it. Orange Cassidy has an almost Arthur Fonzerelli gimmick, and Kris Statlander is Mork from Ork. And apparently they are both dating in real life. It’s the Happy Days gender swap slash fiction fans have wanted for years.

I’m pretty sure Kris Statlander is dating John Silver.

OC’s sloth-like energy conservation makes him the odds on favorite whenever they get around to doing their first Rumble as, much like Greg Valentine, it takes him 40 minutes to get warmed up. 

Agree with Allin and Sammy. They aren’t at this level yet but I can definitely see a “Rock and HHH feuding over the IC title” thing happening with those two. They should go on first next weekend and the crowd singing along to “I Fell” during whatever gimmick entrance Darby has, is gonna be fucking lit.

• Like 1

I like the enthusiasm for Sammy-Darby.  Darby’s got it but he needs to watch how far he takes the emo-ish ‘I’m angry’ slow banter.  It’s approaching cheese whiz.  Sammy is a major talent in the making, but he’s gotta find the right level of goofiness.  He tends to go a little overboard right now.  Also, I just like where he is as a cocky idiot who shines during the match and then gets brutally beaten.  Let’s let him continue to thrive in this position before moving him up the card.  Darby too is completely fine losing. He gives no fucks and just wants to dish some pain while giving himself some.  He can be a big top star later.  That’s the beauty of their positions - they can learn and continue to hone their style on a national stage.  And get ready for the lime light down the line.  

• Like 2

The standard AEW contract is apparently five years. But Jungle Boy only signed for two years, because his Dad persuaded him that the World of wrestling could be a very different place in 2021 compared to how it was in 2019.

Edited by AxB

19 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The great deal of confidence surrounding Orange Cassidy isn't just in the fact that his gimmick is as over as anything else on the show, it's that he was fucking Fire Ant and can work his ass off. It's that he has this enormous in-ring upside (at the very least as a tag team wrestler) and when the time comes to actually push the guy in a serious capacity and thereby pull back on the lazy gimmick, he's going to be zinging around the ring like a top-tier Quackenbush trainee. Which is going to be awesome.

It will be awesome, if Tony Khan, Cody, or whomever is making these decisions decides to pitter patter their feet and get there before we all die of old age. I was as big a fan of Fire Ant as anyone, but, when I first saw this Hands in his Pockets nonsense, I wanted to scream. It's stupid indy garbabge that has it's place in comedy matches involving Ebessan and Stoker Ichikawa. It's not the kind of thing that will play to the casual and lapsed fans that AEW needs to try to convert.

My 62 year old father saw lie down on the floor after the dive sequence a few weeks back, and promptly sent me a text asking "who is this asshole?"