DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I always wondered how exactly Fonzie broke his arm, does anyone know? 

The story for those who don't know, btw, is that Fonzie broke his arm in an ECW ring and subsequently went to a grocery store, pulled some cans over top of himself and claimed he broke it there to get a settlement (which I'm sure Paul E.'s lawyer dad had a hand in). 

I forgot who said it (maybe Cornette), but someone else did the old blade job at a Kroger after a "slip and fall" and got some money. 

This had to be before widespread use of CCTV because I mean who the fuck wouldn't notice that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I forgot who said it (maybe Cornette), but someone else did the old blade job at a Kroger after a "slip and fall" and got some money. 

This had to be before widespread use of CCTV because I mean who the fuck wouldn't notice that.

Uncle Elmer used to carry years old x-rays claiming busted ribs to take the night off.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bret would have pulled it off even looking directly into the camera. Alas....but it sounds like a Memphis territory story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

800K seems to be AEW's ceiling right now I don't know what they have to do to start hitting 1 million every week but I think they are on pace to getting there. 

You mean over 900k is their ceiling? 800k would be about their basement. 900k is what they keep hovering around.

56 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

800K seems to be AEW's ceiling right now I don't know what they have to do to start hitting 1 million every week but I think they are on pace to getting there. 

Well with the buzz that this show is creating, it'll be interesting to see what next week looks like. But, if it doesn't jump, then it's a good indication that 900K is the ceiling. I honestly don't know what else they can do to drump up higher numbers.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Reminds me of the Kenny Bolin meat story from the earlier episodes of the podcast before he became entirely insufferable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

Well with the buzz that this show is creating, it'll be interesting to see what next week looks like. But, if it doesn't jump, then it's a good indication that 900K is the ceiling. I honestly don't know what else they can do to drump up higher numbers.

In the short term, they have to be consistent which they've been but they probably need one or two "big names" which is unfortunate, I just feel that's how it works. That's how you get the 65+ crowd that's loyal to WWE (which is insane btw) to change the channel and say "alright, I'm on board." 

But they don't need that crowd anyway.  They've been doing great in the 18-49 demo and they can build off that.  That's also where the money is. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

In the short term, they have to be consistent which they've been but they probably need one or two "big names" which is unfortunate, I just feel that's how it works. That's how you get the 65+ crowd that's loyal to WWE (which is insane btw) to change the channel and say "alright, I'm on board." 

But they don't need that crowd anyway.  They've been doing great in the 18-49 demo and they can build off that.  That's also where the money is. 

They need someone to just takeoff and become a legit superstar. Cody feels like he’s on the way but I don’t know what his ceiling is. Jericho is so entertaining and he’s the perfect champ right now so I really want him to hang on to it for awhile. They’ve got plenty of young budding stars too. If they can get to the point where high school kids are wearing wrestling shirts again then they’ve really made it. 

For now they’ve got to keep putting out great shows and not hotshot anything and hopefully they’ll slowly gain in popularity. If someone like Cody breaks through to the mainstream then they’ll really have made it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Casey said:

Effy seems to think that Orange Cassidy could be their breakout mainstream star.

I’ve got two lapsed fan friends who are getting back into it, one more so than the other, and they freaking love orange Cassidy. They text me clips when they see them and one bought the freshly squeezed shirt. I think he’s awesome too, but I don’t know how far he can go. You’ve gotta be in main events to really move the needle. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Effy seems to think that Orange Cassidy could be their breakout mainstream star.

My dad doesn't watch wrestling at all, but he's been sitting next to me a few times I've been watching Dynamite or Dark and the only time he stops what he's doing to actually watch is whenever OC is on screen, he just finds him hilarious and is be the only guy that He remember week to week.

The only other comment he seems to have is that the tiny Japanese girl couldn't beat anyone on the show.

Edited by eikerir

If they want to grow their viewership they're going to have to reach outside of their base. That means doing things that crowds aren't necessarily going to be on board with. "Find a breakout star" seems like an easy enough solution, but if the closest thing they have is Orange Cassidy, they have a very long way to go.

• Like 1

I legit thought Sammy was dead, but then he rolled right out of the ring, and was involved later. Given that he was fine, that was amazing timing, bumping, and selling. Fucking hell.

Then, seriously, this show just casually threw out back to back "US TV MOTYC" matches go close the show (by my count, they've put on three legit great matches in the last two weeks, with Riho/Rose last week joining these two)

Fuck what a great show. Like Moxley and Cobb had a really good match with an excellent post-match angle, and it's an afterthought to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I legit thought Sammy was dead, but then he rolled right out of the ring, and was involved later. Given that he was fine, that was amazing timing, bumping, and selling. Fucking hell.

I brought it up in the gif thread. Matt basically doesn’t make any contact with Sammy’s chin, and his sole. He just raises up the leg, the inside of his calf makes contact with the chest, and the foot is on top of Guevara’s shoulder. It’s like Matt threw a worked roundhouse, but it’s more like he missed him by an inch. Sammy’s selling is the key. He lands feet first off the springboard, and does a breakdance collapse with his entire body. If Sammy wasn’t so flexible, and used to doing that, his knees would be shattered.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I brought it up in the gif thread. Matt basically doesn’t make any contact with Sammy’s chin, and his sole. He just raises up the leg, the inside of his calf makes contact with the chest, and the foot is on top of Guevara’s shoulder. It’s like Matt threw a worked roundhouse, but it’s more like he missed him by an inch. Sammy’s selling is the key. He lands feet first off the springboard, and does a breakdance collapse with his entire body. If Sammy wasn’t so flexible, and used to doing that, his knees would be shattered.

Yeah, but watching it air, once, at full speed... I legit thought Sammy was dead.

• Like 2

I wish I still taped this shit off TV with my VHS’s. I used to slow-mo these spots just to see what the trick was, or to see these guys get stiffed in slow motion(or watch anime gore in slow motion). Stream not having slow motion is a step back in my opinion.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wish I still taped this shit off TV with my VHS’s. I used to slow-mo these spots just to see what the trick was, or to see these guys get stiffed in slow motion(or watch anime gore in slow motion). Stream not having slow motion is a step back in my opinion.

At least you can play it back in slow mo on Youtube:

But yeah, streaming services, specially sports/fighting based ones like Fite TV should have some sort of slow motion or frame by frame option.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

They just need to keep putting out this quality product. I personally try to tell one lapsed fan a week about how good the shows have been. Their audience will grow...

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Not entirely sure about mainstream but he’s legit providing thrills, and I’ve been certain from the first time I laid eyes on him (vs David Starr) that he was going to be special and eventually money.  So many ppl were singing ignorant Corny blues in the beginning, but not seeing many boo birds these days.  All that said, he’s still slowly figuring things out for himself. 

33 minutes ago, just drew said:

They just need to keep putting out this quality product. I personally try to tell one lapsed fan a week about how good the shows have been. Their audience will grow...

Absolutely.  We’re still less than six months in.  The damning critics have mostly subsided as of late, but it’s still worth noting, even as good as the last three weeks have been, this is such a young company.

• Like 3