DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, AxB said:

How was the attendance? It looked full on camera, but they might have hidden the empty sections (if there were any).

The opposite camera side was within about 20 seats of being completely full, all the way around to past the opposite of the ramp. The camera side was about 2/3 full. No one in the upper level. If I had to guess, between 7-8 k. Good crowd that was excited about wrestling. Felt very much like a rock show. Mox and Page got better pops than it sounded like they got on tv. Darby got a huge reaction, and Cody could run for governor at this point and win in a walk. Fantastic experience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

The opposite camera side was within about 20 seats of being completely full, all the way around to past the opposite of the ramp. The camera side was about 2/3 full. No one in the upper level. If I had to guess, between 7-8 k. Good crowd that was excited about wrestling. Felt very much like a rock show. Mox and Page got better pops than it sounded like they got on tv. Darby got a huge reaction, and Cody could run for governor at this point and win in a walk. Fantastic experience.

Well, considering he's jokingly and sometime non-jokingly mentioned a run for a Senate seat in the future you might not be far off on that assessment.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, considering he's jokingly and sometime non-jokingly mentioned a run for a Senate seat in the future you might not be far off on that assessment.

He's really become a popular figure here in the Atlanta area. AEW has developed a strong local following because of it. He feels like one of "our guys" now, and that's not easy to do in such a high-transplant city. Right now it's Atlanta Brave's Ronald Acuna and Freddie Freeman, the kid from Atlanta United with the funky hair (Martinez? I don't watch soccer), and Julio Jones, with Trae Young right there with them. Cody is ascending to that level of recognition locally. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

Como se dice Yeehaw???

I laughed so goddamn hard when I saw that, and then it immediately transitioned to the other blurb about their title reign, and I thought I dreamt it.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

When the lights went out, Darby was honestly the furthest thing from my mind.

My 10 year old was like, "Darby's back!!" and I hella squashed it. I didn't think we'd see him again until the PPV or the Dynamite after. They are going to print money with that kid. They have used him just fucking note-perfectly thus far.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Peck said:

One of my favorite things was Britt intentionally misspelling Tony's name on his coffee cup just like an actual Starbucks barista would do.

I think we need the powers of MERCH FREEEEEAAAAAAKKK so they can sell a washable coffee cup with the design used for that one.  I could use a new coffee cup for work.

26 minutes ago, Peck said:

One of my favorite things was Britt intentionally misspelling Tony's name on his coffee cup just like an actual Starbucks barista would do.

Britt is slowly heeling her way into my heart, but she needs to get gud in the ring.  Britt's only as good as her opposition and I fear that Kris and Big Swole may need to be led by the nose across the finish line.

Edited by J.T.

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The skycam shot as the cage was lowering was excellent. The production on AEW makes it big league..  they're doing everything right.

I was getting Atlasphere(the hamster ball game from American Gladiators) vibes when I saw the smoke boxes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was getting Atlasphere(the hamster ball game from American Gladiators) vibes when I saw the smoke boxes.

Way off topic but I've been trying to catch this game on the AG Pluto channel, but every time I tune in it's the big ass q tip fight and they go right to the tennis ball gun or finish the episode. I guess since AEW has been so great I've gotta complain about something..

• Haha 2

Wardlow and Cody put on a really good big dominant heel match where the heel ends up losing because he gets hoisted by his own heel petard with the ring stuff. Wardlow's wobble leg sell to getting hit with the ring just before the crossroads was perfect selling. The best part of Wardlow's performance was that he didn't dick around with 100 cover attempts.  He went for one and one only after the senton and it makes it seem much more like he was toying with Cody, trying to hurt him, rather than just get a win which wasn't as important to him in narrative. I think they did too much to MJF with Arn and Brandi because it is again letting off more of the steam that Maxwell should be building to pay off at Revolution. I loved the cage personally and having that gap so Cody could get stuck out there was awesome.

Agreed. That cage screamed danger. Cody bleeding almost immediately after hitting it the first time also established how cruel it is. We've become so desensitized to cage matches thanks to Elimination Chamber and other evolved forms of the cage. They did a good job of re-establishing it as dangerous. Despite all that, Cody slowly easing himself between the cage and the apron did look pretty funny.

• Like 1

I think Kenny and Hangman retain at Revolution with The Bucks throwing a HUGE hissy fit, Kenny finally sees what Page is talking about and starts distancing himself from the Bucks.

From the Rhodes Brothers angle last summer Matt Jackson has a heel in him. He can be a prick with that I need my brother mocking shit Matt has a heel turn in him. Young Bucks as heels could be money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I think Kenny and Hangman retain at Revolution with The Bucks throwing a HUGE hissy fit, Kenny finally sees what Page is talking about and starts distancing himself from the Bucks.

From the Rhodes Brothers angle last summer Matt Jackson has a heel in him. He can be a prick with that I need my brother mocking shit Matt has a heel turn in him. Young Bucks as heels could be money.

Well if the Revival are still potentially coming in, then they’ll have to make some room for them. So whatever they might think of doing with the Bucks will have to be put on hold until they know they can’t get those guys.

I think they dropped the ball a little with the presentation of Wardlow.

They've built him up as this unstoppable, stoic monster.....only to bring him out doing Steve Bradley cosplay in his tights and undercut. I felt he showed too much emotion at times too. Him coming out in gear similar to say, Mr. Hughes/Big Bubba would have been far more on point for what they were trying to get across.

But credit where credit is due - great swanton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peck said:

hilarious, Matt did this to knick and brendon, last week, and 2 cold Scorpio this week on BTE,  had me rolling.

Shitty Barista/wtf.gif

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Darby and Mox as the Sting and DDP to Jericho/IC's Hogan/NWO is a pretty apt comparison. The skateboard is the bat, time is a flat circle, and I love this fucking promotion.

While at the same time running Cody v MJF as 1990 Sting v Flair.

I can’t wait till Tony Khan re-runs the Dangerous Alliance or Studs Stable angles.

AEW is really on a roll going into this PPV

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CanadianChris said:

Has Kenny hit Page by accident yet?

I assume all of the instances of Page hitting Kenny leads to Kenny screwing up once against Page, probably against the Bucks, and Page being all “HOW DARRRRREEE YOU!!”

I always wonder about the ‘you hit me be accident’ spots since the guy getting hit is actually the one at fault.  It’s their job to hold the opponent and if they can’t manage that, it’s on them.

2 hours ago, The Great ML said:

He’s been busy calling it right down the middle, daddy...and falling in grocery store aisles.

I always wondered how exactly Fonzie broke his arm, does anyone know? 

The story for those who don't know, btw, is that Fonzie broke his arm in an ECW ring and subsequently went to a grocery store, pulled some cans over top of himself and claimed he broke it there to get a settlement (which I'm sure Paul E.'s lawyer dad had a hand in). 

• Haha 1

One thing I notice about Page is that he shoot drinks these beers, unlike Austin. But, I also noticed on this particular episode he drank about 1/4 of a full cup, then he grabbed another beer, and proceeded to walk to the back with it without taking a swig. I guess all that drinking post match has finally taken its toll.

• Like 1