DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I wouldn't hold off putting the belt on Britt any longer than I had to, though.   Brit's promos are a license to print money and she'll really sell the belt when she's the champ.  She just needs to get her spots together in the ring and put up a couple of high profile wins to get her record in order.

That’s one of the few benefits of three way matches. Give Nyla a couple of months to run roughshod over the division, and Britt can win a three way match without going over Nyla directly.

Does this Schivone/Britt thing make anyone else think about Michael Cole and The Miz?

5 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

Does this Schivone/Britt thing make anyone else think about Michael Cole and The Miz?

Sort of... I don’t remember Miz mentally abusing Cole before he turned him into his Renfield-like servant, but I did notice the change in attitude for Tony as well. I wonder if this is a rib on Tony, and his wife’s relationship.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

That’s because that tag match was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. 

This time a year ago I went to a show called “Hell or High Water.” My wife saw “Indy wrestling show” on Groupon and thought it would be a good surprise for me. I’d slowly been losing interest in wwe, given their insistence on making jokes of the guys I like while pushing cookie cutter, charisma free idiots (Rollins, adam Cole). That show re-ignited my love of professional wrestling, and Dynamite last night threw gasoline on it. I tweeted last week that I thought that this was a better lineup than “takeover: Portland,” and I meant it, but before the show I would’ve said that merely the absence of Cole and the other vanilla midgets in UE made AEW the stronger show. But when the weakest match on the card was a pretty good Stadtlander/Shanna match, its been a good night. Thank you, Cody and co, for bringing back a product that’s exciting, hard-hitting, and unpredictable.

• Like 6

Britt as the mouthpiece for Nyla but eventually turning on her seems too obvious I think, but would be pretty good. You also have the option of having the crowd eventually naturally get behind Nyla as that Goldberg type world beater, but that works better if she's chasing rather than already champion

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Britt as the mouthpiece for Nyla but eventually turning on her seems too obvious I think, but would be pretty good. You also have the option of having the crowd eventually naturally get behind Nyla as that Goldberg type world beater, but that works better if she's chasing rather than already champion

Eh, Nyla can get her Vader / Aja Kong on and be the insurmountable mountain of the woman's division.  It's pretty easy to book a world beater as your champion if you're smart and AEW definitely knows how to book a show.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

That’s one of the few benefits of three way matches. Give Nyla a couple of months to run roughshod over the division, and Britt can win a three way match without going over Nyla directly.

No offense, but I feel like this is another bad idea that WWE has conditioned fans to believe is acceptable booking.  In the lead up to last night's show, so many people were throwing around bad ideas for Cobb and the Inner Circle and bad finishes for the cage match.  It's like we've watched WWE's bad booking for so long we've accepted it instead of thinking that we might actually get good booking.  It's something I've been seeing a lot lately, like there's this generation of fans raised on Attitude Era WWE to present day who just think WWE's horrible storylines are just how wrestling works. 

Booking a champion to lose a title in a three way without getting pinned makes everyone involved look terrible and devalues the title.  The champion looks like a fool for dropping the belt without getting pinned and the new champion is illegitimate. 

I mean there aren't a lot of black and white rules and you could do this type of title change where a sneaky heel takes a noble babyface's title this way to get some heat for a rematch, but really it just makes the promotion look bad for (in kayfabe) setting up a match with bad stips.  Nah.  If you want to do a title 3 way, it should be elimination style.

A lot of AEW's booking seems to be based on "think of what WWE would do, and then don't do that."  I'm fine with that. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:
1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:No offense, but I feel like this is another bad idea that WWE has conditioned fans to believe is acceptable booking

None taken, that’s why I tried to qualify it as “one of the few” benefits, if you want to put the strap on Dr. Baker, and not hurt Nyla’s aura. Personally, I hope Nyla keeps it for awhile. 

• Like 1

Thoughts from the show:

- Pretty good Battle Royal after the initial couple of minutes when there's always too many people in. Great finishing sequence by Matt, it was performed perfectly. That Superkick on Sammy has to be THE best Benjamin/HBK Superkick spot I've ever seen.

- Loved Jericho's "OOOH" face when Cobb lifted Moxley during a pin. The finish was good, it makes sense that Cobb would get caught in a surprise pin like that due to his thick frame, but I think he should have looked more dominant during the match before it. Darby blocking Jericho's punch and then Hager's nut kick with the skateboard in one smooth sequence was slick af.

- That tag match was AWESOME, absolutely loved it, Kenny and Hangman have been killing it lately. Every single punch, kick and move thrown had so much impact, I loved the physicality of it. It was so fast paced that Pentagon didn't get a chance to spam his Cero Miedo taunt which always annoys the hell out of me. I'm disappointed that the Page/Omega team is probably just a one time thing for this storyline and theyll go back to being single starts afterwards because they are honestly so good together. Como se dice Yeehaw???

- The figures look great, I specially like that Kenny's is a lot more ripped and vascular than the others instead of everyone having the exact same generic body.

- The cage match was great although it looks a bit unsafe with that weird not-too-small/not-too-big gap around the ring, looks like it could lead to some awkward landings and potential injuries. Wardlow looked great in defeat, he took a very definite loss to Cody but looked VERY dominant during the match so I think he came off better than Cobb tonight. 

Such a good string of shows lately, AEW seems on a roll right now, can't wait for next week!

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I found myself getting up early to watch this before heading to work this morning, this sjow has become something I actively look forward to every week. 

It’s terrific early morning breakfast television.  With this streak of episodes I can’t change the routine.  Feeling like a pitcher throwing a no hitter.  What a spectacular show. I also like being able to make highlights of stuff like Statlander-Shanna.  Shanna is good, but she badly needs some direction.  Match was meh, but dug Nyla’s promo.  She has really good promo presence especially for a rook.  Swoll doesn’t interest me as a challenger.  She needs a lot of work, but will be good cannon fodder hopefully.  Not sure.

The tag was unreal!  Excellent show from top to bottom.  

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I liked Moxley/Cobb.  Great finish ripping off Savage/Dynamite.  I didn't like the predictions of the Inner Circle immediately turning on Cobb so I'm glad we didn't get that.  Between that idea and all the bad ideas I heard tossed around about the cage match, I think a lot of us have booking PTSD caused by WWE's bullshit..

Well said.  I think it now adds to my enjoyment seeing these bad but possible ideas not come to fruition.   

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

I think her promo last night showed that Nyla doesn’t need a mouthpiece. 

I agree but I dont. I think she's a good promo I just didnt necessarily like the lane she picked for it - if Baker, for example, cut the same promo it feels different to me. Leave the running down the crowd stuff to those types and just go out there and murder. 

• Like 1

Other shit that you guys have jogged my memory about:

• I didn't hear the announcers ever refer to Cobb as a former Olympian.  Did I miss it?  You'd think with Ross' raging hardon for "real athletes" as opposed to these phony rasslers, he'd be all over it.
  • I agree with @eikerir's assertion that the cage looked a little dangerous.  I was worried about guys falling into that gap and not being able to get out.  I noticed Cody's tights had a rip in them late in the match, probably from the barbs chain link tends to have.
  • Darby's run in was awesome but he should have just skated to the ring and attacked without all the music, lights, etc.  His entrance took a LOOOOOONG time while the heels had to just stand there watching.
  • Orange Cassidy saving Trent from elimination was tremendous.
  • For a second there, I thought Cody was going to whip the shit out of Wardlow as payback, but he did the moonsault instead.
  • Again, just amazing booking for the main event.  I hate to keep harping on WWE but they would have considered this match as booking themselves into a corner.  THE BIG GUY IS MAKING HIS DEBUT PAL HE CAN'T LOSE.  It's hilarious that the old school booking of "sacrifice some guys to build up your main event feud" is just unfathomable.  We're just so over the moon excited to see simple, logical booking.
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I didn't hear the announcers ever refer to Cobb as a former Olympian.  Did I miss it?  You'd think with Ross' raging hardon for "real athletes" as opposed to these phony rasslers, he'd be all over it.

Yes they did, JR even got in a comparison to Dr. Death last week. I was waiting for another one when Cobb did the Stampede. 

• Like 1

I liked Darby's music playing when he came out. When the lights went out, Darby was honestly the furthest thing from my mind. I thought we were getting a new debut. When his music hit though, I popped. It was like, fuck yeah, Darby! That dude is their Sting and a half. I now think I'm comfortable with Jericho retaining and eventually losing to Darby at DoN.

• Like 1

I thought maybe Taz was there to be the mouthpiece for Cobb. Wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I don't think Taz can take any bumps and he's wider than Arn now. 

BTW, I'll have to go back and watch, but I totally didn't see Raven during the battle royal.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Was there live. How did the crowd come across on tv, because it was insane in that building. We were hot for everything. Mox came down just to our right. Cody is o.v.e.r.

How was the attendance? It looked full on camera, but they might have hidden the empty sections (if there were any).

This could have been the best show yet. It felt like an event. Every match was awesome. Cody's moonsault off the cage was crazy.

Also I think Raven is gonna be The Exalted One. He was right there when Scorp and Greyson were brawling on the floor. Commentators didn't mention Raven at all and later when Jericho sat front row Raven wasn't there. I'm all for Raven being The Exalted One he can talk he's at his best when he's the cult leader having a band of misfits doing his bidding. Christopher Daniels should also join The Dark Order and become The Fallen Angel again. 

Oh also JR and Taz calling Moxley vs Cobb was really cool those guys together is really good. They added to the match and the match was stellar. I've seen Cobb live at Defy shows up in Seattle close to 3 years ago and the dude was good then it's really cool to see him all over the place in 2020 dudes gonna be a star, what ever deal he has going to where he can wrestle for AEW, ROH and New Japan all simultaneously he should try to keep that going as long as he can talk about exposure.  

Edited by Web Conn

I think Raven is a red herring. Maybe he'll be worked in somehow as possibly being the Exalted One, someone can even say that it's Raven and he's been spotted with the Dark Order, but it will still be revealed to be Matt Hardy. The only problem with Matt is that he's an older veteran and he's not going to get over as a heel. It may even make the Dark Order goofier than they want.

Broken Matt is it's own thing, he shouldn't be the leader of the Dark Order unless he changes the character completely.

If Matt is going to be Broken Matt and bring the Broken Universe into AEW it shouldn't be shoehorned into another angle it should be separate. If Matt is gonna be The Exalted One he can't do the silly voice with the crazy hair and the clothes he's gotta be a different thing all together. 

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

When JR put over Cobb's abilities as one of the best suplex practitioners he's ever seen, I expected Tazz to burst into tears, like "I'M RIGHT HERE JR!!!" and then run off.

Taz never talks about his old gimmick on commentary. Dudes funny, but he doesn’t like to get funny with that. Like I’d wish he’d jokingly refer to every suplex as a Taz-plex.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs