DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What another fucking awesome show. Nearly everything delivered. I marked the fuck out for Darby's return. That was so fucking cool. Man, this show rules.

Real great pop that was for Darby. He was only out for a few weeks but this felt like a big deal, good stuff.

• Like 3

Wow, that tag match was the perfect spotfest. Like the pinnacle of the sprint style started with Michinoku Pro. My goodness.

Then, as Excalibur said at the end of the extended footage @ChesterCopperpot posted on the last page, the cage was the only thing that could've followed it. Tag battle royal was fun, their best battle royal to date. Toys look great. Cobb/Mox had the usual lull of Moxley selling but overall it did its job of establishing Cobb as a tough guy and Mox as the man with the unbreakable will who's resourceful enough to survive and thrive against all odds. Moxley getting to Revolution in a million pieces like this gives him an easy out in not winning if that's the direction they go.

If they can keep this kind of show-to-show excellence going, it will quickly get into that upper echelon with peak Mid-South, ECW '95, '96-'97 Nitro, and '97 WWF of one of the best weekly wrestling shows around. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

God that was a great show top to bottom. I think AEW finally hit their stride. There was almost nothing wrong with that show tonight.

I loved how the cage looked. It sort of looked like an old Memphis style cage where it surrounded the ring all the way to the floor. Also looked like a cage from Fire Pro Wrestling so it's entirely possible they went with that. That moonsault though was breath taking.

Cody vs. MJF is gonna be their Dusty vs. Tully feud. It's going to on for years. Can't wait to see Cody goad MJF into a bullrope match down the line.

• Like 4

Every week lately it's been said "wow that was the best Dynamite yet!"  and every week they find a way to top it or at equal...  amazing show top to bottom.  

Tag title match is one of the best TV matches I've seen in a long time.   Cage match was a nice mix between classic and modern.  I loved it.  

REVOLUTION is going to be awesome.  I had debated whether I wanted to get this PPV but after a month of A1 television shows..  I have to get it.  I HAVE to. 

• Like 7

I found myself getting up early to watch this before heading to work this morning, this sjow has become something I actively look forward to every week. Storyline are built in a logical way and don't exist in vacuums, characters are given space to breathe, and when they go funny or cute I laugh along rather than feel embarrassed. 

Battle Royal was a lot of fun - I'm worried for Chuck Taylor though, I think they've got bigger plans for Trent & OC. Sammy's sell of the superkick ? glad I wasn't imagining seeing Raven there. Thought Jurassic Express cracked out some new (to my eyes) offence that really worked. 

Lucha Bros continue to bring the swagger, thought they had it on the buckshot miscommunication. Interesting that Kenny tried to shake the Bucks off during the post match tug of war.

The two big man debuts, as mentioned by plenty of others, were handled really well. Excited to see more of both. Darby has something special, think he could become the long-term face of AEW, with either MJF or Sammy as his long-term rival. Throw Jungle boy in there and you can see a Top 4 of those guys 5/10 years from now. 

Could not have cared less about Cody in WWE, except when working with Dustin. But he drags me in to his matches every single time. He brings it! 

• Like 3

Man, what a show.

Great cage match.  I'm so happy that there were no "escape the cage" rules, there was no real interference, and the finish was clean.  They booked their first ever cage match the right way.  Just excellent.  And blood!  Oh man, right now Vince is writing scathing letters to the 5-6 newspapers still in existence.  That was a really good looking cage too, but hard cam shots were iffy.  The smaller links just made the picture too busy, hard to tell what was happening.  Good adjustment by whoever directs the show to stop using hardcam shots on the fly.  All the outside the ring stuff was so well done.  Man, Arn playing off the history but slamming the door on MJF.  Just perfect.  No complaints at all.

I criticize JR a lot (and I will in a bit!) but his line about MJF was incredible.  "MJF is beside himself.  That means there's two turds on the outside."

Loved Excalibur calling Wardlow's move "the F10."  He's called a similar move "the F-5000," which would have also worked.

The tag match was incredible.  For a match where the finish was pretty much known, there was definitely a point where it was in doubt.  Amazing finishing sequence.  And holy fuck Fenix flying into that Kenny knee was unreal.  My kind of match.  I'm glad so many of you liked this arcade shit.  Come to the dark side.  We have spots!

I liked Moxley/Cobb.  Great finish ripping off Savage/Dynamite.  I didn't like the predictions of the Inner Circle immediately turning on Cobb so I'm glad we didn't get that.  Between that idea and all the bad ideas I heard tossed around about the cage match, I think a lot of us have booking PTSD caused by WWE's bullshit.

I thought Statlander and Shanna had an above average match for two workers who aren't exactly ring generals.  Loved the dueling boops leading to a pieface and brawl.

I'm right there with @Fighting a man with a perm as far as Cody goes.  I could not have given two shits about him until now.

The few things I disliked:

Please don't do a battle royal where some participants are allowed to sit outside and enter whenever they want.  That's some nonsensical bullshit.

JR calling Wardlow's workout videos "NFL combine worthy."  The guy is so deluded by his love for BY GAWD FOOTBAW that he thinks he's putting a guy over by essentially saying "this fake wrestler really is good enough to qualify for a real sport."  Ross has always been this way.  No Jim, mentioning that wrestler x had a two day stint on the 31-ranked NFL team's practice squad is not putting him over. 

Please, enough of the 3 man booth.  Excalibur, JR, and Tazz were walking all over each other out there.  It was really glaring when Excalibur tried to mention that Cobb has won titles all over and JR stepped all over the line to talk about something else.

Again, overall, really great show.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Interesting stuff with the women’s title. I haven’t been entirely on board with the alien stuff, but the belt point was cool. Swole’s walk is a winner too. 

Kris's gimmick is really dumb but she's the odds on candidate to beat Rose and hold onto the belt until Britt Baker gets better in the ring.

Swole's walk is on point and she's even got that hilarious signature gesture of sticking her thumb in her mouth and pumping up her bicep.  She's definitely the more interesting of the faces in the mix, but it all just makes me miss Riho.  Hikaru Shida was also conspicuous in her absence at this little The Belt Is Mine gathering.

The tag title match was fucking aces.  Plenty of crazy ass spots and Kenny & Hangman's finisher just gets more belovedly brutal every time I see it.  Seeds of dissention between Page & Omega obviously planted during the finish, so grats to the Young Bucks on their telegraphed title win in ten days.

Moxley / Cobb was also pretty great, but some things made my nose itch.  Good of Cobb to take an L in his debut match, but in a clean pin?  Really?  Inner Circle couldn't have run in early and beaten Mox down to force the DQ so that Cobb wouldn't have to eat a pinfall in his first match for the company?  Jesus, guys.  I did like the part of the story where Mox is fucking nuts, but is still ring savvy enough to take Cobb's wheels away so that he could avoid being thrown around the ring like a rag doll.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I like Statlander a lot but I can't see them switching the belt again so soon.  But if we get a second "Statlander climbs to contention, then loses the title match" story, how does she get taken seriously the third time they build her up?  She can't be the Buffalo Bills of the women's division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I like Statlander a lot but I can't see them switching the belt again so soon.  But if we get a second "Statlander climbs to contention, then loses the title match" story, how does she get taken seriously the third time they build her up?  She can't be the Buffalo Bills of the women's division.

Kris is probably working the alien gimmick to keep her from having to speak too much.  The boop gesture is there in lieu of a perceived lack of promo skills, I assume.  She's a little less green than she was when she got in the fed, but the extraterrestrial thing robs her of personality.

If she beats Nyla, I can't see Kris holding onto the belt for a long period of time even though she's a solid worker that has a good grasp of how to work babyface.  Not with white hot Britt Baker there goading fans into near riots and Cody obviously being a fan of Southern booking where faces chase heel champions.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They ain’t taking the belt off Nyla. Barring an injury she can go a year dominating what they got, and what they’ll potentially pick up in the future.

If Nyla is going to be champ for a while, she needs to hone that monster heel promo or she needs to get a manager / handler.

Right now she sounds like the chick that picked up the implant buster touch that Kong dropped on her way out.  She's a good worker, but I don't feel that aura of menace round her that Kong had in her prime.

That's not a problem that a few squash matches wouldn't solve.  If Nyla is going to be the champ for a while, she needs a decently booked reign of terror to help her settle in.

I wouldn't hold off putting the belt on Britt any longer than I had to, though.   Brit's promos are a license to print money and she'll really sell the belt when she's the champ.  She just needs to get her spots together in the ring and put up a couple of high profile wins to get her record in order.

Ultimately, Shida needs to start chasing the title.  She and Riho are / were the superworkers of the AEW Ladies Division.

Edited by J.T.

Was an incredible show.  Really thought the battle royal was fun, bit predictable to go back with the Bucks but it works.  Moxley and Cobb was a fun match as well. Would love to see Cobb stick around.  Darby's return was booked well. If AEW gets a secondary singles title put it on Darby and feud him with Sammy = instant $$.  

Wardlow and Cody put on a show.  Wardlow's first major TV match, main event, first AEW cage match and he didn't miss a beat. Sky's the limit for him.  Glad to see Arn not turning but we all know it's coming. Likely at the ppv to give MJF the win and keep the feud going and the  nuclear heat on MJF.

AEW books consistently good TV. The production is incredible, and they build to the next week in a way that WWE used to do during mid 90's Raws but has failed to really do since.  AEW gives you a reason to be in front of your TV at 8 every Wednesday night. 

• Like 1

Two weeks ago when Dark Order offered a spot to Orange Cassidy, he put his hands in his pockets, and then got beaten down. Last night, he put his hands in his pockets, and the Bunny nutted him.

Can it be that the new trend is that hands in pockets lead to harm befalling him?

I am not too high on Sammy Guevara with his pale complexion and punchable face, but God bless that kid for eating that entire superkick.

And Darby Allin is a fucking star.  That pop for his entrance was bonkers and he's only been out three weeks or so.

6 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

Two weeks ago when Dark Order offered a spot to Orange Cassidy, he put his hands in his pockets, and then got beaten down. Last night, he put his hands in his pockets, and the Bunny nutted him.

Can it be that the new trend is that hands in pockets lead to harm befalling him?

Protect yourself at all times.

Edited by J.T.

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

JR calling Wardlow's workout videos "NFL combine worthy."  The guy is so deluded by his love for BY GAWD FOOTBAW that he thinks he's putting a guy over by essentially saying "this fake wrestler really is good enough to qualify for a real sport."  Ross has always been this way.  No Jim, mentioning that wrestler x had a two day stint on the 31-ranked NFL team's practice squad is not putting him over. .

Amen brother! He didn't even say he would crush the competition in the combine, just" he'd do OK". Way to undersell your new athletic freak! 

• Like 2