DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Here's what's being advertised for tonight:

• Steel Cage Match - Cody vs. Wardlow
  • Jon Moxley vs. Jeff Cobb
  • For the AEW Tag Team Championship - Hangman & Omega (c) vs. The Lucha Bros
  • Battle Royale for the  #1 Contendership for the AEW Tag Titles  (Winner will receive their shot at Revolution)

Have they ever made the distinction that Cody has to beat Wardlow or just wrestle him to get to MJF? I think I prefer that he only has to get in there so they don't need to beat Wardlow in his debut when I think he's got a pretty high ceiling and they can run Cody-Wardlow after Revolution. Having a screw job is appropriate if it leads to a hot throwing garbage into the ring ending. I would think putting doubt in the crowd's mind if Cody is going to get to Revolution would be the normal path here.

Ambrose going over Cobb is the only option that makes sense if Cobb's only doing a one shot. Really even if they signed him long term, it only make sense to put Cobb over if they have capitol B BIG plans for him down the road. I would have preferred them putting Ambrose in there with Hager to continue his path through the Circle and not ... waste is too strong a term... expose Cobb this way to a probable loss.

Hangman and Omega getting the win over the Lucha Bros to get the win back from the Elite's title run up makes sense.  I wish the Lucha Bros had some feud going.  I think they're being wasted a bit doing big matches only and having no angles.

Bucks should win the battle royal or throw the bitchiest of bitch fests if they come up short. They should just put them over for the big tag title match to get to Omega-Hangman.

Cobb is signed for more than just one match/appearance beyond this apparently, so it's entirely possible.

Also, Cody doesn't have to beat Wardlow. He just had to agree to the Cage match.

Here's the cage, by the way:

Spoiler

gga7h4fbxwh41.jpg?width=778&auto=webp&s=

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Cobb is signed for more than just one match/appearance beyond this apparently, so it's entirely possible.

Also, Cody doesn't have to beat Wardlow. He just had to agree to the Cage match.

Hide contents

Is the bottom to prevent druids from sneaking Taker in? That’s cool though.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Hide contents

Looks like it covers the ring and maybe a foot of the floor?  So just enough room to do moves ON THE APRON, THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Going back and listening to the MJF promo in January... he did actually say that Cody has to beat Wardlow in the cage match.

I’m pretty certain they mentioned a must win on commentary last week.  I wanna say ‘why have him need to win’, but I’m okay with waiting and seeing. I’m convinced by the precedent set that they will not disappoint.  I assume he loses but MJF agrees to still fight him.  

I really hope Cobb doesn’t lose and turn.  Vinny Roo, of course, would disagree.  

Love that cage!

29 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I’m pretty certain they mentioned a must win on commentary last week.  I wanna say ‘why have him need to win’, but I’m okay with waiting and seeing. I’m convinced by the precedent set that they will not disappoint.  I assume he loses but MJF agrees to still fight him.  

I really hope Cobb doesn’t lose and turn.  Vinny Roo, of course, would disagree.  

Love that cage!

There's nothing wrong with having Cobb turn. Again, he's just a hired gun and he's not even on a contract. He can fail, Jericho can slap the shit out of him, and Cobb can be like no one treats me like that.

9 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I would ideally sell it as Cody gets his ass kicked so badly that MJF thinks he can just pick the bones at Revolution and accepts the match.

I like this idea or the idea of Cody stealing a victory and then getting the shit kicked out of him by Wardlow and MJF.

• Like 1

In fite chat, everyone expected the lashing to go like it did up until nine, but then have the tenth be like a Kobashi chop flurry, but with a belt. They were surprised when he just did one.

They also complained that it was slow and drawn out, but it had to be. Welts take a minute to rise. His back looked worse the day after. Probably doesn't look too bad now, unless they've been interfering with the healing process, to slow it down.

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So apparently somebody well known is hanging around Atlanta today. I won’t post it, but you can find the rumor online.

Spoiler

Austin Aries was spotted with DDP. Apparently Aries has been working out with DDP and they're in Dallas' neck of the woods. I don't think there's much to see here but who knows. I've always thought highly of Aries' talent, even if he's a jerk.

Never forget him turning on No Way Jose while dancing on an announce table then doing the dopest flying chop off said table.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Austin Aries was spotted with DDP. Apparently Aries has been working out with DDP and they're in Dallas' neck of the woods. I don't think there's much to see here but who knows. I've always thought highly of Aries' talent, even if he's a jerk.

Never forget him turning on No Way Jose while dancing on an announce table then doing the dopest flying chop off said table.

I hope there is something to it. I think he'd be a great addition to the roster.