DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2019 Anniversary and shows around it

Archibald

Figures we could use a new thread for upcoming 4 Korakuen shows and Anniversary show. I'm just going to list key matches (in my opinion of course) here. Anniversary show so far has only one match announced, if something cool is added then I'll update this post.

Tiger Hattori retirement show on 19th:

Cabana/Yano/Ibushi/Tanahashi vs White/Fale/GoD
Goto/Ishii/Okada vs Sanada/Shingo/Naito

New Japan Road on 20th:

R3K vs Mega coaches for Jr. tag titles
Shingo vs Ishii for NEVER title

New Japan Road on 21th:

Taguchi/Cabana/Yano vs Bushi/Evil/Shingo for NEVER trios titles
Ibushi/Tanahashi vs GoD for heavyweight tag titles

Nakanishi retirement on 22th:

Nagata/Kojima/Tenzan/Nakanishi vs Goto/Ibushi/Tanahashi/Okada

Anniversary show on 3rd:

Naito vs Hiromu

Anniversary show is sold out so it is entirely possible that we don't get any additional big matches there.

4 Korakuen shows are doing well as far as tickets go, but I think that it is rather interesting that what, from my observation, wrestling internet thinks is hot and what Japanese audience thinks is hot often does not match. Shingo/Ishii headlined show is doing lowest numbers from the 4 shows.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, Archibald said:

Shingo/Ishii headlined show is doing lowest numbers from the 4 shows.

Giving this some thought, I think it actually shouldn't be surprising. Sure, it should be a great fucking match (and it should be on pretty damn soon) but that's really all it is. Ishii is pretty much an aging gatekeeper who has a huge resume of great matches, but never reached main event level. Takagi is a great wrestler who really broke out last year but also hasn't gotten to the level of main eventer.

And they are wrestling in the headline spot for the 4th most prestigious singles title heavyweights can wrestle for in the company, and probably about the sixth most prestigious title in the company overall. And the semi-main is for the IWGP Jr Tag belts, which are probably the least important title outside the trios championship (give or take the British title)

That's not really a "must see" show in a lot of ways.

Ehh—these are valid points, but honestly, living in Tokyo, it has more to do with 6:30 start on a weeknight being a very difficult sell. The last set of shows at Korakuen were during the week and had so many empty seats. Japanese people in general have a hard time getting off work that early.

Worth noting from the Tiger Hattori retirement show—WWE sent a traditional retirement bouquet (with Nakamura listed on the card), which was on display just outside the elevators next to the ones from AJPW and NOAH. As much as Vince seemingly likes to distance himself and his company from pro wrestling, WWE does uphold certain traditions. They ALWAYS send flowers to these events, at least to all the ones I’ve been to.

• Like 5

Fucking hell, when Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kota Ibushi can't drag a decent match out of you, you might want to consider a change of career.

However, I'm all in on Golden Aces vs. Zack Mephisto.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

Best part of the match was ending sequence when Tanahashi dragged himself to the top and it really did feel like he might not make it. Obviously GoD had nothing to do with it.

Golden Ace vs Tekkers, Golden Ace vs FinJuice. We should be getting at least couple of fresh matches out of this.

NJPW Dads vs Aces and Goto was a fun way to send Nakanashi into retirement. Loved him "turning" on Nagata with the backbreaker. Sakaguchi coming out to honor him afterwards was a surprise and reminded me how catchy his old theme was (it somehow managed to sneak through US customs).

• Like 2

On 2/22/2020 at 10:53 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder if the current booking of the tag titles means the IC belt is permanently being merged with the IWGP.

My wish is for SANADA to beat Naito for the IC title. I just want all the members of LIJ to have gold again.