DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-21-13

MGFanJay

Seriously, what more do you people want? The show has been so tightly booked and written since SummerSlam. It's what us smarks always said they need to do. And they are.

Maybe people around here just didn't expect Bryan to be as super uninteresting as the face of the WWE.

Thank goodness they were correct in that expectation.

Never a big fan of ending a show with a contract signing. But I guess it was a more of way to shoe horn Big Show into the angle. I don't think Michaels will figure into the match since he won't be around,bet it's gonna be Big Show again factors in one way or the other.

Never thought I'd see Kurt Angle on Raw again, go figure.

Never thought I'd see Texas Wrestling Alliance footage on Raw, wish they'd put this on their On Demand channel.

And so many storylines have been intertwined. We have The Rhodes Family with the belts. The Shield want revenge. The Usos think they deserve the title shot. All six of those guys RULE. We could have a Smackdown Six all over again but within the confines of the bigger picture of HHH's schemes.

I know everybody wants a Big E. solo push, but I'd have no problem if they kept him and Punk together for a few months and slotted them into the upper tag team division with the above three. The could do a sort of Hart Foundation ripoff thing, with Punk doing a poor man's Bret Hart and Big E. being the richest ever guy's Jim Neidhart. They even have a ready made tandem finisher, Big E. Hoists the guy up for his finisher whatever its called, but drops him on Punk's knee.

And yes, that thought was totally based from Punk wearing Hitman style trunks.

From the "things I never thought I would be posting" department, I would really like to see a singles match with Kofi and Luke Harper. They've had some great chemistry in their recent tags. I'm not sold on Rowan at all (wtf was that kick thing he tried on Miz), but Harper is quickly moving up my list of guys I wanna see more. He's like a cross between JBL and Necro Butcher.

I like what they're doing with Big E. He's getting a nice rub from Punk and making the most of his time in the ring. Not sure why they didn't use his turn as an opportunity to get him a new finisher, but I still hope he ends the Curtis Axel experiment on Sunday.

As far as the main angle goes, I can't see Bryan losing on Sunday, especially with the teaser for a HHH match. This story has been written pretty coherently, and the next logical step is Bryan decisively wins the title and HHH gets desperate and tries to go after Bryan himself. No idea where that leaves Show, though, who still has to officially get his job back somehow. Might just have to deus ex machina that one with Vince or something, because it would be a huge mistake to give the heat of slaying corporate HHH to Show instead of Bryan.

My early guess at some Survivor Series Matches:

HHH vs. Bryan

Shield/Orton/Ryback vs. Punk/Big E/Show/Rhodes Bros

Cena vs. Sandow (vs. Del Rio?)

My early guess at some Survivor Series Matches:

HHH vs. Bryan

Shield/Orton/Ryback vs. Punk/Big E/Show/Rhodes Bros

Cena vs. Sandow (vs. Del Rio?)

Noooo don't get me started on fantasy booking Survivor Series elimination matches

but for real, 3MB and Real Americans vs. Tons of Funk, Los Matadores and Tito Santana plz

I can't really complain because it was a pretty great match, but having Bryan and Ambrose open the show with a match was really bizarre booking wise.

- Why is the US champion on a non-title match with a guy who will fight for the World title in less than a week?

- Where are Reigns and Rollins? 

It just feels weird having these guys fight in a storyline vacuum. Ditto for Ziggler vs Orton

BTW I remember someone mentioning about 3-4 weeks ago that Ziggler should stop doing his spastic corner punching and just do a regular one. For the past two weeks he's doing exactly that. Freaked me out.

Heyman's promo was something else. Ryback's stupid stare almost ruined it.

Wyatts vs Miz/Kofi was good, really made me want to watch a longer match. Michael Cole needs to stop though, him keeping repeating Bray's promos and saying "The buzzards will feast" drags the whole thing down. Severely. Probably its someone screaming buzz-words and hard sells on his ear, but still.

Was Hennig's kid on FCW or NXT? This dude needs to go back and develop something to make him stand out. He's so bland.

Ron Killings deserves a WWE job for life. Dude's the shit.

Hype packs for Cena were fantastic. The dude is pro wres.

The contract signing was okay. Triple H vs American Dragon WRESTLEMANIA 30 is pretty much set in stone now.

Moar Shield goodness. Yey.

OOOOOOOHHHH IIITTT'SSSSS THE STONE COLD BIG SHOW!

"(It's Big Show on a big rig. It's a monster on a monster truck!" Poor Michael Cole, who screams that in his ear? Vince or Kevin Dunn?)

- Why is the US champion on a non-title match with a guy who will fight for the World title in less than a week?

They've done this so often that every title that isn't the WWE or tag titles might as well be done away with at this point. They're all worthless.

Heyman's promo was something else. Ryback's stupid stare almost ruined it.

I'm hardly a Ryback fan, but I fail to see what the problem was here.

Wyatts vs Miz/Kofi was good, really made me want to watch a longer match. Michael Cole needs to stop though, him keeping repeating Bray's promos and saying "The buzzards will feast" drags the whole thing down. Severely. Probably its someone screaming buzz-words and hard sells on his ear, but still.

On his podcast Austin has gone into what a terrible effect this kind of stuff has on the product. Changing only this aspect of their TV would make the shows 1000% more watchable.

Was Hennig's kid on FCW or NXT? This dude needs to go back and develop something to make him stand out. He's so bland.

Him calling Big E "rookie" was rich. If they do anything other than a Warrior-Honky squash with them it will be a mistake.

I loved Rowan's awkward spin kick on Miz. The dude is a swamp monster just throwing himself at his opponent. It shouldn't look pretty.

Yeah, I don't get harping on Rowan for that. So he fell while doing a Booker T-style kick. The kick still looked like it hurt, which is more than I can say for a lot of the WWE guys' offense.
  • Like 1

they have booked Orton like a bum for a while and I can't imagine he loses again.

Seriously? He's gone over every face on the roster cleanly other than Bryan. Him going over on Sunday in any form or fashion would be awful.

Seriously. Orton has been humiliated by Daniel  Bryan consistently for the past month. Sure he is beating the Zigglers and Kofis of the world (and have a hard time doing so) but he is outmatched and outwitted by DB almost every week now. 

The other reason I see Orton winning is because we have seen the babyfaces get too many wins recently. Really, what big win has The Authority had in the past month? Between the Rhodes Bros. winning (twice) and Daniel Bryan being on a tear... for the story to continue much longer the bad guys really need a big win at this point. After all, what's the point of fighting a one sided war? It's like playing Madden on the rookie level.

I only watched the main event, but I kinda want Sunday for Bryan to be about to win, the lights go out and you hear "We're here" and the Wyatts to be Triple H's last gasp/deal with the devil to keep the title off Bryan. They do so, Triple H turns on The Shield because they couldn't get the job done, we get Shield-Wyatts in 6-mans for a while, until Wyatt Family decides they're bigger than Triple H and turn on him, too, which leads Triple H to have to go to Bryan and bury the hatchet because he needs Bryan to save WWE. I think that'd be a pretty compelling 6 months of TV right there.

Every. Damn. Week.
I understand the appeal of Wyatt's vs. The Shield. The Wyatt's could be the only threat the Shield has come up against that they do not understand. What could confuse the guns-for-hire more than men with true conviction (to fucking crazy ideals)?But for the long-term sake of both units, I'd avoid it too.

I can't really complain because it was a pretty great match, but having Bryan and Ambrose open the show with a match was really bizarre booking wise.

They explained it, actually. For once. I was surprised, too. D-Bry pinned Ambrose in their 6 man on Smackdown and Deaner wanted some payback.

I'd take it a step forward and suggest that since the SHIELD seems to be the Hounds of the Authority now, it's his job to have matches with Daniel Bryan. Would have been nice to see 'my job is to hurt this guy' play into the match story telling, though.

I loved Rowan's awkward spin kick on Miz. The dude is a swamp monster just throwing himself at his opponent. It shouldn't look pretty.

Eh, wrestling is still a performance art to some degree. I mean, Rowan doesn't need to have Evan-Bourne-like grace, but there's a difference between have rugged-looking offense that fits a character and a 6'8 guy getting his leg up to Miz's chest then falling on his ass. Harper manages to convey the exact same character just fine while hitting all his stuff clean.

they have booked Orton like a bum for a while and I can't imagine he loses again.

Seriously? He's gone over every face on the roster cleanly other than Bryan. Him going over on Sunday in any form or fashion would be awful.
Seriously. Orton has been humiliated by Daniel Bryan consistently for the past month. Sure he is beating the Zigglers and Kofis of the world (and have a hard time doing so) but he is outmatched and outwitted by DB almost every week now. The other reason I see Orton winning is because we have seen the babyfaces get too many wins recently. Really, what big win has The Authority had in the past month? Between the Rhodes Bros. winning (twice) and Daniel Bryan being on a tear... for the story to continue much longer the bad guys really need a big win at this point. After all, what's the point of fighting a one sided war? It's like playing Madden on the rookie level.
Are you forgetting that the Rhodes Brothers got their wins over The Shield (who didn't even lose for the first six months of their tenure), and not Orton, who, by the way, is the person that beat both Rhodes Brothers clean to set the angle up? The entire storyline is that the war is one-sided in the opposite way that you're saying it is and Bryan is so talented that he's able to overcome the deck being stacked against him.Putting Orton over on Sunday would be a huge misstep and would piss away any goodwill they've built up over the last couple of months. There are 12 PPVs a year and 7 hours of TV a week; how long are they supposed to drag this out? This angle just doesn't have the legs to last until WrestleMania. I don't know what angle would in the current WWE environment other than the ones involving part timers that don't have to be on TV all the time.
  • Like 1

Bryan beats Orton. Hunter shits himself, brings back Heel Sheamus (backstory woo), Bryan eventually beats him, Hunter vs Bryan for the title at Mania.

Punk comes out the night after Mania and drops a pipebomb saying that Bryan doesn't sell properly and his mic skills are below par. He uses the term "mark" and of course, "boys in the back".

• Like 3

There's Big Cass, but he's far too good as a double act with Enzo. I also think Rowan is fine, just a bit awkward. if he's no better in 6 months or so after working with solid hands, then maybe make a change.

That's who I was thinking of.  But then I went and looked at his picture, and Matt Morgan is no longer the least intimidating seven footer ever.

I also think Rowan is fine, just a bit awkward. if he's no better in 6 months or so after working with solid hands, then maybe make a change.

I'm sorry, but I can't take you serious when you type that. Especially since the guy only gets about 20 seconds worth of ring time, and it's all awkward.

Is Rowan going to be the new wrestler that gets ironically loved by the DVDVR community?