DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-21-13

MGFanJay

Would rather have a 48-year-old rugged mountain man Shawn Michaels as WWE Champion than either Daniel Bryan or Randy Orton. Or just bring back Batista.

Putting the match in a Cage this time doesn't make me want to see it more than the last couple of times. Neither does having a special guest referee.

Man, I thought that Goldust/Cody theme mash-up was terrible. You shouldn't mess with a perfect theme like Goldust's, like that.

It was jarring at first, but then it sort of gave me an Annie Lennox vibe, which I dug. Also, I'm a big proponent of the tag champs coming out together, and I would rather this than both coming out to Goldust or Cody's theme. 

Ambrose/Bryan was so good. I still prefer Bryan/Seth Rollins from a month or two ago though.

On the Brie Bella getting better thing, you gotta believe Bryan is in her ear giving her pointers and working on her in ring stuff. Like, the tornado X-factor thing - I can totally see that being something DB came up with for her to do.

I love Santino and Slater, but man that match sucked. 

Big E Langston needs to get a killer push going forward. Just have him no sell a bunch of stuff for a while and he will be fine. Dude can work, has the size they like, and could maybe turn into that elusive "African american babyface star" they've been looking for forever.

The Cody/Goldust theme was awful.

If it wasn't obvious already I think we can pencil in Bryan/Triple H down the line (Mania?).

Really unsure of where the WWE title goes. I feel like DB should win it, but at the same time they have booked Orton like a bum for a while and I can't imagine he loses again. But I don't expect HBK to turn on anyone either, because that would seem to lead to a match down the road (and as much as I'd love to see DB/HBK, that ain't happening). 

I wish they'd come out to Ameeehhhhrriiiicaan Dreeeaaaam.

Everyone who is hating on the WWE right now is nuts. THIS HAS BEEN SO GOOD. Orton/Bryan in a HIAC is yet another shot at a MOTY. Their last PPV match was disappointing but it had a crazy cluster finish. Their match on Raw or Smackdown or whenever when Bryan was trying to prove himself was great, if I recall. Orton has been on fire. Bryan has been on fire. HITC matches are almost always great. Bryan's Flying Goat into the side of the cage is already imminent.

And so many storylines have been intertwined. We have The Rhodes Family with the belts. The Shield want revenge. The Usos think they deserve the title shot. All six of those guys RULE. We could have a Smackdown Six all over again but within the confines of the bigger picture of HHH's schemes.

Miz is far from saddled with The Wyatts. Miz and Kofi usually put me to sleep but they took a good beating last night and made Harper and Rowan look like monsters. Bray Wyatt gets to do his lunatic Koresh stuff as Miz is forced to watch. We have a sadistic maniac with Messiahnic delusions coming after a reality TV star pretty boy. And that's pretty much the least important feud on the roster right now.There's at least one match every Raw that is fantastic. Last night we had three.

Seriously, what more do you people want? The show has been so tightly booked and written since SummerSlam. It's what us smarks always said they need to do. And they are.

• Like 4

Big E. could indeed be what Vince wanted from Bobby Lashley, and I don't think he'd fuck it up. 

Michaels reffing just reminded me of the Mr. Gannosuke/Hayabusa match he reffed where he started counting them both out at ringside, Gannosuke said "NO COUNT!" and he just kept going anyway. "It's FMW ya dingus!"

• Like 1

Why is the Observer site maki ng a hig deal abojt Jericho tweeting after RAW. I didn't see the show. Did HHH throw a diss on him?

Yeah. He said Jericho, Edge, and someone else I forget were all good guys, but if they were the face of the WWE, they'd all be working for Ted Turner today. He then basically said that no one is going to want to pay to watch guys like that or Daniel Bryan, and they pay to watch him fight guys like Brock, and those guys have no interest in fighting someone like DB.

Yeah. He said Jericho, Edge, and someone else I forget were all good guys, but if they were the face of the WWE, they'd all be working for Ted Turner today.

I was really hoping DB would point out that WCW was dead and buried by the time HHH became the face of WWE, that it was guys like Austin, Rock and HBK (a stretch but he's right there so why not) that carried the load there.

Seriously, what more do you people want? The show has been so tightly booked and written since SummerSlam. It's what us smarks always said they need to do. And they are.

I want HHH/Shield vs. the world in a storyline that toes the line between reality and fiction. This is how the storyline was booked for weeks and it was compelling television filled with matches that mattered.

What were the matches that mattered last night? What matches were furthering feuds in any way?

Why is the Observer site maki ng a hig deal abojt Jericho tweeting after RAW. I didn't see the show. Did HHH throw a diss on him?

Yeah. He said Jericho, Edge, and someone else I forget were all good guys, but if they were the face of the WWE, they'd all be working for Ted Turner today. He then basically said that no one is going to want to pay to watch guys like that or Daniel Bryan, and they pay to watch him fight guys like Brock, and those guys have no interest in fighting someone like DB.

Imagining corporate HHH approaching a Mayweather or whomever with a binder full of junior heavyweights. "I tried, boys!" 

I want HHH/Shield vs. the world in a storyline that toes the line between reality and fiction. This is how the storyline was booked for weeks and it was compelling television filled with matches that mattered.

What were the matches that mattered last night? What matches were furthering feuds in any way?

The Shield vs. The Usos became The Shield vs. The Usos vs. The Rhoades Boys at the PPV.Big E.'s tag match elevated him from unknown to potential world beater.

That's two right there.

I don't see how you can complain about the product outside of there being too much of it at times, especially if you try to watch both raw and smackdown.

I wonder if someone else is going to walk away with the title.  Wasn't HHH talking down to Orton a few weeks ago after he didn't beat Bryan at the PPV.  Maybe HHH has quietly picked a new "face" to take the belt and keep it away from Bryan?  Not sure what that would do but its an idea.  Also HBK said something like "i'm here to make sure there is a new champion".  He didn't specifically say bryan or orton, maybe Show is given the belt?  I smell a swerve to keep bryan away from the title until rumble or so. 

Maybe people around here just didn't expect Bryan to be as super uninteresting as the face of the WWE.

Wyatts/Miz & Kofi -- This ruled. Harper and Rowan just beasted everyone one in this. I liked Kofi's apron work a lot. Rowan had some good power stuff. Harper had his best showing yet -- took a frankensteiner, hit that nasty ass powerslam/piledriver thing. Kudos to Kofi for being willing to lose a few weeks of his life taking that lariat, which might be my favorite finisher. I could watch Bray tormenting Miz like that all the time. THAT is mid-card wrestling right there. Good stuff.

But without seeing some horrific consequences for Kane, why would anyone worry anyway?  He's just, like, "off t.v." like he would be if he was beaten down by anyone else.We need to see him horribly ruined in some way, and we should have seen it weeks ago, so there would some sense that Miz or Kofi were in actual danger.  The camera should carry us into some barn, into a little enclosure and we should see what Kane has been turned into:

I want more footage of the horror barn. That 'investigative reporting' thing was pretty good. 

I also demand Tom Waits' 'Murder in the Red Barn' song being very softly played in an adjacent space of the camera, or at the very least being whistled for a moment. Actually, that whole song would be good fodder for a Wyatt promo.

Interest is down. This thread is only two pages. It was much longer at this time only a few weeks ago.

True, last week's thread ended the streak of 10+ page Raw threads since pre-Summerslam. The Rhodes Brothers victory was not enough!

Imagining corporate HHH approaching a Mayweather or whomever with a binder full of junior heavyweights. "I tried, boys!"
Is HHH Mitt Romney now?

The dirtsheets were reporting a while back that Orton/Bryan was scheduled to be blown off at HIAC and that Orton was scheduled to be in the title picture through the Rumble. Make of that what you will.

So am I the only one who noticed them planting the seeds for a Bryan/HHH match?

It could be that we see a transition to Orton/Show for the title, with Bryan being side-drained into a feud where he has to go through certain people to get to HHH. 

They definitely planted the seeds for the Bryan/HHH match down the road.  "I only get in the ring with big stars" is to HHH's match with Bryan what "You can't wrestle" was to HHH's WM match with Cena.

I didn't hear it but Ray pointed out that Zeb saying that El Torito caught him "right in the shrapnel" was the 2nd best thing ever

Oh, that was me throwing out a line, I don't think Dutch said.  I wish he had though.  But we got the return of Shoo Baby in Mempho.

Maybe people around here just didn't expect Bryan to be as super uninteresting as the face of the WWE.

Are you not overdue for a new gimmick at this point?

• Like 4