DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

This plus he looked in much better shape here than the G1. Lost a little gut and seemed more mobile.

No idea what Cobb’s contract status is but AEW Twitter made it sound like he was on board. But they were also careful to call the group at the end ‘the Inner Circle and Jeff Cobb’ implying he’s not a part of them even though he certainly seemed like one. I guess we’ll find out.

would love to see somehow Jericho beats Mox and Cobb turns on Jericho setting up Cobb vs Jericho. It would be unexpected and give us a fresh face at the top of the card. 

Yeah. I can see why they wanted to tie his Dad's blindness in with the angle, but my immediate reaction was wanting him to kick Moxleys ass. Some miscalculated emotional trip wires were laid with that. Kinda wish it was saved for when Santana and Ortiz eventually turn face. 

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick
  • Like 2

Calling it now, Mox beats Cobb, Jericho slaps Cobb for failing, Cobb is enraged and attacks Jericho, IC attacks, that leads to Mox and Cobb vs Sammy and Santana or just Santana and Ortiz the next week, during that match Sammy tries to interfere and we get the return of Darby to beat Sammy's ass.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Calling it now, Mox beats Cobb, Jericho slaps Cobb for failing, Cobb is enraged and attacks Jericho, IC attacks, that leads to Mox and Cobb vs Sammy and Santana or just Santana and Ortiz the next week, during that match Sammy tries to interfere and we get the return of Darby to beat Sammy's ass.

I hope not. Cobb works better as a heel. I think he knows it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

No idea what Cobb’s contract status is but AEW Twitter made it sound like he was on board. But they were also careful to call the group at the end ‘the Inner Circle and Jeff Cobb’ implying he’s not a part of them even though he certainly seemed like one. I guess we’ll find out.

He's not signed - Dave said on WOR that he wants to be a free agent. He's still working the ROH Supershow on Mania weekend.

scoh-cobb-line.jpg

• Like 1

I wasn't high on this episode as much as everyone else seems to be.

In regards to Jeff Cobb, having him come out just to slam Moxley after the Inner Circle has already beaten him down seems like a disappointing debut. Having Cobb turn the tide on Moxley would have had more punch. As it stands, he didn't really help the Inner Circle at all and while the slam is impressive, I don't know that it is so impressive it should be the only thing he did. Compared to Wardlow's similar one move involvement, I would say Wardlow's F5 seemed more impressive and he cuts a better figure standing there as Cobb is obviously short despite being thick. I wonder if having him out there with so many people really made him look good since it seemed like Jericho had half a head of height on him and Jericho's not big.  I am not saying he can't work, I'm just wondering about his presentation during this angle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I wasn't high on this episode as much as everyone else seems to be.

In regards to Jeff Cobb, having him come out just to slam Moxley after the Inner Circle has already beaten him down seems like a disappointing debut. Having Cobb turn the tide on Moxley would have had more punch. As it stands, he didn't really help the Inner Circle at all and while the slam is impressive, I don't know that it is so impressive it should be the only thing he did. Compared to Wardlow's similar one move involvement, I would say Wardlow's F5 seemed more impressive and he cuts a better figure standing there as Cobb is obviously short despite being thick. I wonder if having him out there with so many people really made him look good since it seemed like Jericho had half a head of height on him and Jericho's not big.  I am not saying he can't work, I'm just wondering about his presentation during this angle.

While not exactly the same I see Cobb as a modern day Taz.  He might not be the tallest or shortest but along with him being thick he can suplex the crap out of his opponents.  The only main difference is that he's just so damn nice so he might not have that same chip on his shoulder like Taz did/does.  But to me he has great presence and i love checking out his matches.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Great show.  But I would be more excited for Cobb/Moxley if their G1 match didn’t suuuuuuck.

To be fair, it didn't help that the match was just there in the midst of all the usual high-end G1 stuff and it compared poorly. Cody in a cage should be good, but in general there's not enough top-shelf work on Dynamite to make the match look out of place. 

12 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Anyone catch JR almost slipping Jeff Har-...Jeff Cobb when Jericho was entering for the final beatdown?

Yup.  I'm also really tired of Ross comparing  guys to the wrestlers of yesteryear.  Once is fine but he does it every single time.  Darby Allin is just like Jeff Hardy because both are, I suppose, skinny white, face-painted daredevils.  Adam Page is Steve Austin.  I got so tired of his schtick watching NJPW on AXS.  YES JIM GOTO IS JUST LIKE BRET HART PLEASE TELL ME AGAIN.  Holy fuck.  And you know he couldn't resist getting some release for his perennial Steve Williams hardon, comparing Cobb to Dr. Death.  Promoting every wrestler like he's the next somebody else does them all such a disservice and makes AEW look second rate.  "HAY GUYS YOU LIKED THOSE GUYS IN THAT BIGGER COMPANY RIGHT?  WE GOT GUYS JUST LIKE THEM HERE!"

Also, he just had to make sure to tell us, after Dustin Rhodes insulted Hager's MMA career, that Hager is most definitely NOT failing at MMA and that, essentially, Dustin was bullshitting.  Holy fuck what non-heel announcer does that to a babyface?  God forbid an Oklahoma boy is made to look bad.  He's just constantly pulling shit like this, counterproductive stuff that advances nothing except inject his own opinions and pet peeves.  The guy goes into business for himself more than a multi-level-marketing addicted housewife.

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The show was incredibly great and AEW is firing on all cylinders.  I really hope this eventually leads to bigger ratings and consistently fuller arenas but as it is they're in a great spot.

One big takeaway I got from the Riho/Nyla match was that it felt unexpected in that if she was going to lose the title it would be at the PPV.  I was in a state of shock at first that a PPV-quality match would happen with that result on free TV.  But that quickly wore off and we were just so incredibly happy for Nyla, my wife especially who is such a huge fan of hers.  What's cool is that Nyla is the first transgender person to win a championship in a national promotion (not sure of smaller companies) and as wonderful as that is the talk is focused on her having an awesome match.  Which shows that A.) They didn't have her win to beat some message into the ground and B.) Nyla won because she very much earned it given how much she's improved and the story they're telling.  So that's really cool to see and I just couldn't be happier for Nyla.  But I do adore Riho a ton so it was kind of sad seeing her lose it.

Great point.  While watching the match, I was really thinking about what Nyla in WWE would look like and just dreading anything I thought up.  We'd at the very least get SHE'S NOT LIKE MOST GIRLS~! wink wink bullshit, if not outright dogwhistle transphobia.  We'd most likely get the gimmick where other women wrestlers don't want to face her because of her "advantage" of being born male and there'd be this whole controversy angle.  It's amazing that AEW makes no reference to it at all and they should be applauded.

No need to retread anything else everyone else has written here.  Great show, great company.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

While not exactly the same I see Cobb as a modern day Taz.  He might not be the tallest or shortest but along with him being thick he can suplex the crap out of his opponents.  The only main difference is that he's just so damn nice so he might not have that same chip on his shoulder like Taz did/does.  But to me he has great presence and i love checking out his matches.

I have to disagree with you here, brother. Cobb's big weaknesses have been gas tank (though usually that isn't a problem - he really struggled in his first couple of PWG outings in the sweatbox though), promos, and presence. His strengths are obvious and amazing, but other than his time as Matanza, I don't think I've ever been super intrigued by a Jeff Cobb match other than it being an exhibition of incredible athleticism and strength. As Matanza, the persona took care of the presence (and covered up his face so you just assumed it was a raging fucking monster underneath there). He could also wrestle methodically, allowing him to preserve his energy for big power spots. He also had the best manager in pro wrestling this decade in Dario. It was an absolute perfect use of Jeff Cobb. I've enjoyed his work in PWG and while I don't think he's shown his best in NJPW I'm not down on his showings there as most are. However, I don't see him as a star as just Jeff Cobb, cool athletic'n'strong guy because of those weaknesses. LU masked all of them and emphasized his strengths. If he can have Jericho do his talking and he can focus on portraying pissed off monster, I'm good and I will take that all day over ?

Okay, I do remember seeing Cobb vs. El Phantasmo for a local indie here in Vancouver and just loving the shit out of it. Perfect foils for each other. Cobb did that one spinning toss and El P did about 3 whole revolutions like a spinning top. He also did great things with Darby in PWG and teaming with Matt Riddle there too. But I'd trade all of that shit in for Matanza 2.0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Great point.  While watching the match, I was really thinking about what Nyla in WWE would look like and just dreading anything I thought up.  We'd at the very least get SHE'S NOT LIKE MOST GIRLS~! wink wink bullshit, if not outright dogwhistle transphobia.  We'd most likely get the gimmick where other women wrestlers don't want to face her because of her "advantage" of being born male and there'd be this whole controversy angle.  It's amazing that AEW makes no reference to it at all and they should be applauded.

No need to retread anything else everyone else has written here.  Great show, great company.

I remember a few years back someone pointing out that real progress isn't having a face with an LGBTQ+ gimmick, it's having an LGBTQ+ wrestler that doesn't have that as their gimmick.  I think Nyla's a good example of that.

And, yes, I also shudder to think what WWE would do with her. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Log said:

I remember a few years back someone pointing out that real progress isn't having a face with an LGBTQ+ gimmick, it's having an LGBTQ+ wrestler that doesn't have that as their gimmick.  I think Nyla's a good example of that.

And, yes, I also shudder to think what WWE would do with her. 

She probably just wouldn't have been hired. WWE is not a leader when it comes to these things. They also tend to leave actual talent of the LTGBQ+ community alone when it comes to gimmicks based around the subject. Sonya Deville's gimmick has nothing to do with her sexuality. Darren Young didn't have anything of the sort when he was around.

• Like 2

I don't think they need to let these kinds of bumps dictate booking or the overarching direction of the company. If lessons are to be learned from WCW and WWE, it takes a long time for the rot to set in and often times even longer to right the ship in terms of ratings. Keep producing good wrestling, market it as best you can, and there should be some growth long term. Get Sanshiro Takagi's brilliant ass in for all the crossover opportunities he does with DDT. 

• Like 1