DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Well, I guess now that everyone else loves Britt Baker, we're going back to:

The guy can work as a great heel or face and has an amazing Swanton. In all seriousness the guy should be a huge star by years end.

When you see hisswanton it is an absolute thing of beauty. The guy is also one of the most humble people you will ever meet. He is someone that will be a huge star by the end of 2020. 

He is one of the most level headed wrestlers you will meet and does an amazingswanton. He will turn heads in AEW I'm just surprised he didn't debut in Pittsburgh as it is his home base

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Well, her promos have improved at an insane rate the last month. We'll see about her ring work.

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

sure troll.  Wardlow will impress.    But since you asked.  I think Brit has improved her promo game leaps and bounds.  The only think I don't like is how she changes her whole voice. She sounds like the Cashmeoutside  girl.      Wardlow vs Cody will be money.  I also love that Cobb is coming in but why as hired muscle when Jericho already has Hager?  

AEW  does a hell of a job building their shows for 2-3 weeks out keeping fans invested and making them tune in.  I happened to see a woman I used to work with post on IG and AEW was on in the background with #wrestling    I asked her if she watches every week and she said one week she was flipping the channels and started watching and she hasn't missed it since.  

Last night was easily one of the best episodes so far and the crowd was hot.  Kind of surprised they had Riho lose the belt especially when they don't seem to have many face characters to chase at the moment. 

Really looking forward to next weeks show and the ppv.  AEW's marketing/promoting is incredible. 

• Like 1

If this wasn't the best overall episode of Dynamite, then it's at least a top five. The only thing that I didn't care for was the post-match stuff when all the tag teams came up after the opener. It was just a bad excuse to get them all on TV ahead of the battle royal.  But other than that, there were great promos (I especially like that Darby Allin is swearing vengeance on the Inner CIrcle, and he's not saying a word), and good matches. I'd have liked to hear what Nyla Rose was saying backstage, but I have a feeling that will make it to YouTube, like Jericho asking for Marko Stunt's ID did.

I wonder what they're going to do next week with Cobb. Moxley really shouldn't lose, but they can't build up Cobb as a monster, and then have him lose to Mox in his first match. I'm hoping for a double DQ or something, with them just brawling out of control.

11 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

If this wasn't the best overall episode of Dynamite, then it's at least a top five. The only thing that I didn't care for was the post-match stuff when all the tag teams came up after the opener. It was just a bad excuse to get them all on TV ahead of the battle royal.  But other than that, there were great promos (I especially like that Darby Allin is swearing vengeance on the Inner CIrcle, and he's not saying a word), and good matches. I'd have liked to hear what Nyla Rose was saying backstage, but I have a feeling that will make it to YouTube, like Jericho asking for Marko Stunt's ID did.

I wonder what they're going to do next week with Cobb. Moxley really shouldn't lose, but they can't build up Cobb as a monster, and then have him lose to Mox in his first match. I'm hoping for a double DQ or something, with them just brawling out of control.

you reminded me,  the biggest negative was all of the backstage Nyla-Kenny stuff happened  during the break and none of it was heard.  I'd love to see AEW improve this in the future without having to go on Youtube or Dark to hear what I missed.  Other than that the show was solid. 

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well...except for calling Nyla Rose the king of the mountain.

I think he also said Jungle Boy was the son of actress Luke Perry.  Lol, there was an awkward pause after he said "actress", then he finished the sentence, so I'm guessing he caught himself a second too late.

My wife (who doesn't watch wrestling) saw a pic of Stu Grayson in his ring attire and wanted to know why he was dressed as "discount store Kratos".  That... sums up Grayson's heel character as well as anything, I guess.

Good show.   I"m in the minority, but Riho is an immediate channel-changer for me, so glad to see someone else with the belt, even though I think it's just a short-term transition.

The show was incredibly great and AEW is firing on all cylinders.  I really hope this eventually leads to bigger ratings and consistently fuller arenas but as it is they're in a great spot.

One big takeaway I got from the Riho/Nyla match was that it felt unexpected in that if she was going to lose the title it would be at the PPV.  I was in a state of shock at first that a PPV-quality match would happen with that result on free TV.  But that quickly wore off and we were just so incredibly happy for Nyla, my wife especially who is such a huge fan of hers.  What's cool is that Nyla is the first transgender person to win a championship in a national promotion (not sure of smaller companies) and as wonderful as that is the talk is focused on her having an awesome match.  Which shows that A.) They didn't have her win to beat some message into the ground and B.) Nyla won because she very much earned it given how much she's improved and the story they're telling.  So that's really cool to see and I just couldn't be happier for Nyla.  But I do adore Riho a ton so it was kind of sad seeing her lose it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

Fantastic episode. Stoked for Jeff Cobb. He looked great too, he nailed that slam. Not sure what they do next week with two guys who shouldn’t lose facing off but I’m excited to watch it. 

Britt killed it too. Great promo, she had me rolling a couple of times. Hope she can pick it up in the ring too.

I expected Darby Allin to save Moxley at the end but looks like he really has no friends. Where’s Shota to take a few licks?

The titles off Riho like so many people wanted. Feels early for Nyla but she looked great here. I suppose that’s the perils of having a largely green roster, you’re going to have to take a few chances. Riho is great and I think she’ll be back in the title picture again. And congrats to Rose for making history, it’s great to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Great show.  But I would be more excited for Cobb/Moxley if their G1 match didn’t suuuuuuck.

Them being under a proper heel Vs. face dynamic might help a lot with their chemistry. Really being a monster heel will do wonders for Cobb’s match pacing.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

That Riho/Nyla match was amazing! Best women's match of the company so far, and one of the only matches I've wanted to re-watch for a long time. That's a good match to show someone who's never seen AEW before. 

Sammy is so good too, he delivered a 630 in street clothes and squatted with Dustin on his shoulders ass to grass on the same show. He's a long term prospect.

Brilliant show. As soon as they announce a UK date, I don't care where it is in the country, I'm going, simple as that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Chico Ortiz is by far my favorite wrestler in AEW. I love that crazy bastard.

Been saying for weeks how much I love him! He's very pantomime villain, but still brings the vicious. When he was sneaking up on Mox with the sock and got caught by the ref, I was pissing myself! 

Nick Jackson truly is a merch freak - get your Mox eyepatch on shopAEW ?

Terrific show, so many little threads throughout at the moment. No storyline exists in a bubble. 

Was hoping for a Wardlow-Luchasauras face off. I do like it when a pair of hosses square up to each other. 

Darby giving his own take on Sammy's sign gimmick is a really nice touch. That could be a show stealer. 

1 hour ago, Whodathunkit said:

My wife (who doesn't watch wrestling) saw a pic of Stu Grayson in his ring attire and wanted to know why he was dressed as "discount store Kratos".  That... sums up Grayson's heel character as well as anything, I guess.

His out of ring gear is so much better and makes him look bigger. A little bit Tom Hardy. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Them being under a proper heel Vs. face dynamic might a lot with their chemistry. Really being a monster heel will do wonders for Cobb’s match pacing.

This plus he looked in much better shape here than the G1. Lost a little gut and seemed more mobile.

No idea what Cobb’s contract status is but AEW Twitter made it sound like he was on board. But they were also careful to call the group at the end ‘the Inner Circle and Jeff Cobb’ implying he’s not a part of them even though he certainly seemed like one. I guess we’ll find out.

• Like 1