DVDVR Message Board

What Is Better Than This?

DEAN

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I'm thinking that this is the greatest match in the history of wrestling.  You will prove me wrong.

Anything involving Bull Nakano is the greatest match in the history of wrestling.

This is probably my answer, honestly. But it also holds a special place in my heart, due to it being on a VHS tape I got from Highspots in like, 2002 maybe, and it made me become obsessed with both guys and I followed the Japanese scene for a good minute (the big three mainly). From that, I grew fond of NOAH in particular.

#1b is probably Nakano/Kong in the cage. Talk about a fucking brawl.

• Like 4

I’ve never seen a WWC match that wasn’t amazing lol! If Brody hadn’t happened there it would be remembered so much better.

Did they actually call the FMW match a Texas Street Fight?

There’s a match out of this mold that I saw live at a TV Taping between Doom and Arn and Barry. I can’t find it on YouTube but it had to have been on TV because if it wasn’t then they had the match for no reason before the feud was a thing. I remember being confused that the heels were fighting but it was just the craziest brawl after they’d all been working as heels all night against everybody else.

You knew I'd bring this one up.  Any match with Bull and Aja is sure to be close to GOAT but HH '97 was one of the few nights I was proud to be a fan of pro wrestling..  Rey and Eddie fucking tore this house down.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

This is the other time. 

As much as I love Ricky's title win at the Joe, the rematch felt like it had more gravitas.  The pressure SHOULD be on Steamboat to defend his title, but you can clearly see that Flair is the more desperate of the two.  Ric is HUNGRY for that fucking belt.

Also, the callbacks in this match to Ricky's title win make this match the better story told in the ring.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

If there were an FMW match I'd nominate it would either be this one:

or this one:

the common denominator being Mr. mother fucking Gannosuke being a complete dick.. 

I love that man like family.

This Masato Tanaka guy and that Hayabusa dude with the mask were also quite good.

Rest In Power, Falcon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

@J.T. slight nitpick...Steamboat won at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago.

Garvin won at the Joe in 1987.

It is 2AM and I am on night duty fixing a software issue on a blade server I did not break.  I blame the Exercise Control Center in Grafenberg Germany for my mental lapse..

My phone is right here though.  I coulda Googled that shit if I were more awake.

I am old and dumb and have been on this fucking third shift too long.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2