DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

They planted the seed for Genesis being unstable in TWoK itself when Carol said that everything in the cave grew in a week at an astonishingly accelerated rate.  They had it being unstable on the backburner.  THe retcon that it was mostly David was due to then not willing to pay Bibi Besch to show up again.

Picard's remains is less a figurehead for the Changlings and more, he's a Full Admiral and his command codes still all work (even if he's retired).  Changlings have his DNA and can do blood and organs.  They also planted a Chekov's Gun (yeah yeah) that all the ships in Starfleet are interlinked and will all be present on Fleet Day.  I'm guessing his body is needed to do a full override of all the Fleet (which would be a better plan overall, as it's been revealed that while Picard is a legend, there are a lot of people around that don't like him).  That's where I'm thinking the ships at the museum come into play, as they're not linked like the modern ships are.  That brings up a different problem as none of them should have functioning weapons systems, and all of them but Voyager shouldn't be able to hang with current ships.

For whatever reason, I have pictured Weekend at Picard's where two Changelings are having to carry Picard's body around on Fleet Day. "Oh the Admiral was VERY excited to be here today." "Very. He had a little too much of Aldebaran whiskey before he got here."

Man, it took them long enough. I know Picard has been the priority and they weren't going to double up SNW and Picard at the same time, but they waited a long time to make a launch date announcement for a season that has been in the can for a little bit now.

Discovery is still the surprising one for how far off that next and final season is going to be. It just makes me hope the extra time leads to an actual good season of Discovery instead of the shit we've had so far. Although, I did make a prediction for this final season that seems completely in line with previous bullshit that didn't make a lick of sense - Burnham isn't just a normal human, she's some sort of celestial being or higher power.

I'm continuing to enjoy watching bureaucracy and idiocy as the reason for the New Republic's downfall like hubris and idiocy were the downfall for the Empire/First Order. 

Vadic absolutly has a Pah Wraith attached.  The only thing I can think of what's going on with Jack is he's tied to the Prophets in some way ("He was never for you"), or if somehow the missing piece of Picard they need are maybe his Borg stuff, taht might have been passed onto Jack?  It really seems that way with how he could read Syndey and push her actions, but,  yeah I dunno.  

Burton reminding us he's a real good actor was neat, and Plummer was angling for an Emmy with this episode.

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying Vadic. Thought they did a good job of showing us what is behind her cartoonish facade. Her anger at the Federation is understandable though I think still based on semi bullshit pretending the Founders weren't as bad or the war was minor. Around billion or so people died. 

The Pah Wraith theory throws me because it makes sense to a degree, but Vadic's master also feels too direct comparatively. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm continuing to enjoy watching bureaucracy and idiocy as the reason for the New Republic's downfall like hubris and idiocy were the downfall for the Empire/First Order. 

I am as well though I think you posted this in the wrong Star series thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Vadic absolutly has a Pah Wraith attached.  The only thing I can think of what's going on with Jack is he's tied to the Prophets in some way ("He was never for you"), or if somehow the missing piece of Picard they need are maybe his Borg stuff, taht might have been passed onto Jack?  It really seems that way with how he could read Syndey and push her actions, but,  yeah I dunno.  

Burton reminding us he's a real good actor was neat, and Plummer was angling for an Emmy with this episode.

Pah Wraiths as the core fiends do not make much sense. Why would they go after the Federation? Because Sisko was human? I think that's a bit of a reach. Just looking at TNG, you could probably find 50 more likely culprits. And using Picard for their plot very likely has to have some personal history (and the Pah Wraiths definitely did not have any history with Picard).

The perfect resolution would mean that the man/woman (person, camera, tv) behind the plot would fulfil: (1) TNG character, (2) appeared more than once, (3) has reasons for hatred both for Picard as well as the Federation, (4) is still alive (both the character as well as the actor). I have to admit, it's hard to come up with someone fulfilling all criteria. They went through Q, Borg and Romulans in season 1 and 2 (and looking at candidates, the only somewhat character that I would give a non-zero chance would be the Romulan-character of Denise Crosby, Sela), the plot is not Klingon (and there are also not that many candidates, I mean B'Etor wouldn't work), there is no profit to make this way, so no Ferengi and I don't think there were any other recurring characters that I would categorize as foes.

Acting-wise, I will always be amazed with how Spiner is making Data and Lore feel real. Here he is switching between the two roles within the scenes. It's a travesty that he basically has won no awards for his role as Data (he has got one Saturn Award for First Contact and that seems to be it). But then, TNG was basically ignored w.r.t. acting or directing at the Prime Time Emmys anyway (the series got 19 Emmys, almost all for technical stuff like sound editing, sound mixing, makeup, special effects etc.).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Also:

THE BASTARDS GOT TUVOK!!!

Janeway is for SURE showing up.  At this point I'm amazed that Torres and Paris' kid hasn't shown up yet.

When Lt. Naomi Wildmon shows up to kick some ass I'm gonna lose it.

That Tuvok scene was fucking great. They swerved the audience with music. When fake Tuvok says he lost those games and Seven smiles, the Voyager theme swells up. That's telling us it IS Tuvok! Yay! Then ten seconds later the swerve knocks you out. Fantastic!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Robert S said:

Pah Wraiths as the core fiends do not make much sense. Why would they go after the Federation? Because Sisko was human? I think that's a bit of a reach. Just looking at TNG, you could probably find 50 more likely culprits. And using Picard for their plot very likely has to have some personal history (and the Pah Wraiths definitely did not have any history with Picard).

The perfect resolution would mean that the man/woman (person, camera, tv) behind the plot would fulfil: (1) TNG character, (2) appeared more than once, (3) has reasons for hatred both for Picard as well as the Federation, (4) is still alive (both the character as well as the actor). I have to admit, it's hard to come up with someone fulfilling all criteria. They went through Q, Borg and Romulans in season 1 and 2 (and looking at candidates, the only somewhat character that I would give a non-zero chance would be the Romulan-character of Denise Crosby, Sela), the plot is not Klingon (and there are also not that many candidates, I mean B'Etor wouldn't work), there is no profit to make this way, so no Ferengi and I don't think there were any other recurring characters that I would categorize as foes

Hear me out. It's a Pa Wraith amalgamation with Gul Dukat. Heh? 
I love how people are fantasy booking the reveal. I have confidence they'll stick the landing.

• Like 1

Looks like we are finally getting a Starfleet Academy show though its sadly set in Discovery time. Kind of annoyed since I was really hoping they would move away from and forget about the Discovery timeline. To be fair I probably would be fine with it if they had never done the Burn story. 

The more this goes on the more I get the feeling the Pah Wraiths tried to make their own Sisko and failed miserably for reason with Picard. Jack is just attempt no. 2. I wouldn't mind being wrong, but if we are really going the Pah Wraiths route I'm going to be so annoyed if we don't get a return of Sisko at the end. 

Spoiler

Kind of surprised to see Vadic and the Shrike already taken out. For some reason I figured they would make it to the final episode. Data and Lore kind of merging to osme degree was more or less what I expected, and I kind of like it. 

With all the things that were said and shown in this season, I guess I'll have to join "team Pah Wraiths" too in which case I suppose the logical resolution for the person behind this will be Dukat.

Once you know that the showrunner of this season of Picard is the guy behind 12 Monkeys (the TV series), it's quite remarkable how much the visual style of Jack's visions match some of the things shown in 12 Monkeys.

Some cute writing btw, to have Amanda Plummer say the she'll "execute ever motherfucking last one of you" without exactly using those words.

And if this were a show that would use commercial songs in the credits, they could have gone with

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

The more this goes on the more I get the feeling the Pah Wraiths tried to make their own Sisko and failed miserably for reason with Picard. Jack is just attempt no. 2. I wouldn't mind being wrong, but if we are really going the Pah Wraiths route I'm going to be so annoyed if we don't get a return of Sisko at the end. 

Reveal hidden contents

Kind of surprised to see Vadic and the Shrike already taken out. For some reason I figured they would make it to the final episode. Data and Lore kind of merging to osme degree was more or less what I expected, and I kind of like it. 

Well, someone on twitter said that "If Sisko doesn't show up, we riot!"

Matalas tweeted back, "Get out your riot gear." So either he's playing people, or Avery Brooks wants nothing to do with it. Because I'd imagine they'd back up the Brink's truck to his house to get him. He also said Janeway is exclusive to Prodigy. Maybe he is trying to swerve us. 😀

Man, did the waterworks happen while I watched the new one. Denise Crosby appears and Everyone sitting around the table having their McLaughlin Group was awesome.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Matalas tweeted back, "Get out your riot gear." So either he's playing people, or Avery Brooks wants nothing to do with it. Because I'd imagine they'd back up the Brink's truck to his house to get him. He also said Janeway is exclusive to Prodigy. Maybe he is trying to swerve us. 😀

Brooks is supposedly blackballed from Hollywood for unknown reasons opposed to not wanting to do anything. Him claiming Janeway is exclusive though absolutely has to be a swerve. They can't invoke her name that many times and not have her show up.

• Like 1

I know Avery is blackballed, but I'd imagine that these creators and the money behind New Trek don't give a shit about any blackballing situation. Maybe they did ask and he said, " Fuck off." cause he's holding a grudge. It's all conjecture but god damn do I want to see my favorite Captain one more time.

• Like 1