DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

16 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Garak would work perfectly, though is Andrew Robinson still an active actor? IMBD lists him as having done (basically) no acting work in the last 15 years.

Maybe they can convince him to return to the part if they have Garek be gay, which is what Robinson thought Garek should be and played him accordingly.  He talks about that in the WONDERFUL DS9 documentary, "What We Leave Behind." Speaking of that, maybe they made Seven bi just to erase the Chakotay relationship that came out of nowhere and didn't make any sense, at least to me. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

PS: I'm trying to think of what DS9 characters I'd like to see next season that'd make sense. Nog would have worked but Aron Eisenberg passed away this past year. But Andrew Robinson/ Garek would be perfect. 

I'd like to see Quark again. Garek would be nice as well, especially if they stay in that more wild west area of the galaxy.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Maybe they can convince him to return to the part if they have Garek be gay, which is what Robinson thought Garek should be and played him accordingly.  He talks about that in the WONDERFUL DS9 documentary, "What We Leave Behind." Speaking of that, maybe they made Seven bi just to erase the Chakotay relationship that came out of nowhere and didn't make any sense, at least to me. 

It didn't make sense to Ryan either. She disliked that relationship quite a bit for the same reason.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 11:06 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I mean it's Voyager. The writing on that show was not good. It was the worst Star Trek series of that generation for a reason. The way the show itself ended was a mess. 

• 5 months later...

I’m surprised this didn’t get posted, although it may have in another thread:

I actually just finished the last three episodes of this tonight, after dropping off a year ago and never getting the chance to sit down and watch them. Oddly enough, Picard’s android body was spoiled for me earlier today while reading an interview snippet about season 2, but like Mark pointed out when it happened, it seemed pretty obvious foreshadowing when the golum was shown. I can’t wait for Season 2.

• 2 months later...

Sticking this here.

We use the Prime day deals to get Paramount+ for 1 dollar a month for 2 months, and past showing the kids old episodes of Heathcliff or something, the main purpose of that was to watch Discovery S3. I'm not a massive Trek fan or anything. More of a Babylon 5 and Star Wars guy, but I did see most of TNG when I was a teenager twenty years ago, and TOS in syndication, and Voyager was the main show that was on when I was most into it at around 15 or 16.

We're 3-4 episodes in to S3 and it feels like a far better show than S1 and S2. I was a little worried it'd feel like a rehashed Voyager but because they're not trying to get home, but instead trying to make the world they've landed in into the best world possible and find remnants of what they remember in it, the show just carries with it (alongside legitimate emotional struggle) this crazy optimism and idealism which feels like an absolute love letter to what Star Trek should be about and is basically everything we could possibly need out of this show in 2021. It's absolutely fearless about it too. It's so much harder to present bold and unabashed idealism than something jaded and deconstructed and sardonic in this day and age. 

• Like 4

On 6/29/2021 at 7:07 AM, Matt D said:

Sticking this here.

We use the Prime day deals to get Paramount+ for 1 dollar a month for 2 months, and past showing the kids old episodes of Heathcliff or something, the main purpose of that was to watch Discovery S3. I'm not a massive Trek fan or anything. More of a Babylon 5 and Star Wars guy, but I did see most of TNG when I was a teenager twenty years ago, and TOS in syndication, and Voyager was the main show that was on when I was most into it at around 15 or 16.

We're 3-4 episodes in to S3 and it feels like a far better show than S1 and S2. I was a little worried it'd feel like a rehashed Voyager but because they're not trying to get home, but instead trying to make the world they've landed in into the best world possible and find remnants of what they remember in it, the show just carries with it (alongside legitimate emotional struggle) this crazy optimism and idealism which feels like an absolute love letter to what Star Trek should be about and is basically everything we could possibly need out of this show in 2021. It's absolutely fearless about it too. It's so much harder to present bold and unabashed idealism than something jaded and deconstructed and sardonic in this day and age. 

I liked Discovery so much more than Picard.  If you enjoyed Discovery's idealism, I'd love to know your thoughts on Picard.  Because Picard has no idealism outside of "I am Jean Luc Picard, I'm a fucking legend, and everyone will listen to me and do whatever I want because I'm Jean Luc Picard."  Also, Starfleet somehow became petty and awful, and there's poverty again.  WTF.

Edited by Technico Support

Poverty never stopped. It just wasn't a major thing within the Federation itself, and still isn't as far as we are aware. The downtrodden parts of the galaxy we see aren't a part of Federation space. Also Starfleet always had aspects of being assholes. Every government does for good and bad reasons. I also find it funny people keep ragging on Picard for Jean Luc acting like an arrogant ass when that was also kind of point. He spoke so damn highly of the idealism of the Federation and how it had fallen the past decade when he himself failed to uphold it. A big part of the Picard is him trying to make up for that shit. The man damn near literally gets told to fuck off because of his arrogance at one point. The show is also called Picard for a reason. Its very much his story opposed to being the story about the Federation. I also find the talk of Discovery's idealism to be a bit overpushed. Discovery took 3 seasons to really hit that point, and it mostly felt kind of hollow in the first two seasons. I do find it interesting how it took Picard to get people to seemingly catch and praise Discovery to some extent considering how much people seemed to dislike it before without even watching any of it.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I liked Discovery so much more than Picard.  If you enjoyed Discovery's idealism, I'd love to know your thoughts on Picard.  Because Picard has no idealism outside of "I am Jean Luc Picard, I'm a fucking legend, and everyone will listen to me and do whatever I want because I'm Jean Luc Picard."  Also, Starfleet somehow became petty and awful, and there's poverty again.  WTF.

It's a fair question. The show takes a lot of zags that I wish it wouldn't. We would have been better off with the first cybergirl who gets killed early on in the first episode. The cop out with the new body at the end would have been more interesting if they leaned away from humanity. Lore being involved in the colony would have been more interesting than what we got. Etc. and so on. Really, though, you're watching the show to watch Stewart chew scenery and that was all fine. I'm not sure I ever fully "bought" some of the stuff with the Federation. I think I would have liked to see more of what their political necessities got them. If sweeping Picard and his inconvenient and self-centered idealism under the rug cost them something, what did it buy them? And was it worth it? That's something that I think would have made for a more interesting show, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

The problem I always had with the "And why is Starfleet bad" and othe arguments people had about Picard basically ignore that DS9 and Voyager existed.   And Undiscovered Country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just couldn't get with the Picard character in general.  To me, it was one of those things where the show writers feel you'll side with the protagonist not because of any "good guy" stuff he does, but because well he's the protagonist and siding with him is what you're supposed to do.  PIcard was really an arrogant shit who, throughout this series, literally had people siding with him who fawned over him and were ready to follow him and maybe die for him if necessary.  It was wacky.  And it felt like, instead of explaining why, they figured "well, everyone loves Picard, of course it's this way."  We saw a guy who had used up his dedicated crewmates and friends and left them dead or jobless or whatever, and then he just kept on using people.  There was no character arc from him.  After Starfleet told him, essentially, "you're not shit anymore, you're arrogant, and you have no right to ask us for anything," did he learn from that?  No.  In the final episode, he's pleading with the evil androids to stand down because HE can negotiate with Starfleet and they'll listen to him.  Why?  Because he's Picard?  It was 10 episodes of, "wow, this guy's a prick."

I won't even mention the deus ex machina at the end or how a 10-episode show about a space mission takes three eps to GET INTO SPACE. Or 7 of 9 building up this Borg Queen moment and we think it'll be awesome, only for it to mean nothing and go nowhere.  Or the character who murdered a shipmate because an evil Vulcan showed her a vision, and then there were zero consequences.  Or the robot who was a big fan of Vulcans, so she taught herself to mind meld.  Or the inexplicably British Romulan siblings who clearly want to fuck.  Or the endless Picard sheechifying.  Ooooof, I did not like this.

I would like to try some of that Riker wood-fired pizza, though.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is my 2nd fave Star Trek movie, WoK is the best overall but I thoroughly enjoy TMP, the characters are there and it is a hard sci-fi film, what with who wrote it you shouldn't go in expecting Die Hard in spce or anythign like that.

James

Not saying it was terrible.  But it is a reworked TV pilot that could've used a little more editing and some better plotting.

But I'm also someone who defends 3 and treats 2/3/4 as a planned trilogy even ifn4 didn't have the Horner soundtrack and they changed Kilngon sets.

Yeah, maybe its the Hulu version looking grainy as fuck but its definitely TV movie dialogue at points. I mean they'd been working Trek Phase 2 for, what? 7 years by that point?

Still, its the little things I love (Swingin Disco McCoy with his beard, everyone's reaction to Spock returning and the end conversation feeling like the end of an old Trek episode) shine. I remember loving 3 as a kid but recents rewatches don't hold up. I can live without 5, am indifferent to 6 and haven't watched 4 since the 90s

Janes

• 1 month later...