DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

So when Patrick Stewart started getting other roles, I had a hard time not just seeing Captain Picard. Like, “Captain Pickard is a mutant now,” etc.

But throughout this series I’ve had a hard time seeing Captain Pickard and not Patrick Stewart.

Anyway, regarding the finale:

The golem thing was silly. Why not just use one of his borg implants? Keep everything else the same—they scanned his brain and stored it in the Data computer—but then they transfer his consciousness from his organic brain to a borg spinal implant they couldn’t remove, or whatever. Then the very thing he hates most about himself becomes necessary for his survival, and he probably quoted Shakespeare or something

Evil sexy Romulan lady will be back next season - Rule#1 in sci-fi, didn't see a body? Then they're not dead. Seven is now a lesbian ok, I'm gonna need some Chakotay closure first. Agnes is just gonna get away with Maddox's murder and be all smiley again already? A lot of the characters are pretty weak, but hopefully they'll get more well rounded in season 2. I'm hoping for some Worf, some Q and we know we're getting some Guinan, but maybe an Admiral Janeway / Sisko cameo would be cool too.

14 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Evil sexy Romulan lady will be back next season - Rule#1 in sci-fi, didn't see a body? Then they're not dead. Seven is now a lesbian ok, I'm gonna need some Chakotay closure first. Agnes is just gonna get away with Maddox's murder and be all smiley again already? A lot of the characters are pretty weak, but hopefully they'll get more well rounded in season 2. I'm hoping for some Worf, some Q and we know we're getting some Guinan, but maybe an Admiral Janeway / Sisko cameo would be cool too.

I hope that lady stays dead, but I don't disagree.

Hopefully they give us more info on what Seven went through the past 14+ years. Just based on how she was with the first woman she killed in the season its clear she left Chakotay a while back.

I thought that ending was a little too happy for Agnes, especially since a prison cell should be waiting for her upon their return. I hope they don't forget that and actually have her punished for Maddox's murder.

I believe Robert Picardo and Whoopi are characters we know have been asked back so far. That said I want to see Janeway, Q, Worf, Sisko, and Geordi pop up.

I presume you could mitigate Agnes' behavior by saying she was messed up in the head by the mind meld with Oh. And helping save Picard. 

I saw someone mention that in addition to Maddox, there should have been an easter egg mentioning Dr Roger Corby. 

9 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Pretty sure Geordi is dead per the series in canon prequel comic

James

He was alive in the comic and was never mentioned as a casualty from the Shipyard attack on the show.

• Like 1

Geordi is alive, Zhaban mentioned him as someone that would drop everything to help out Picard at the start (along with Worf and Riker).  

They also never mentioned what happened to Narek and Sutra.  I imagine Sutra would just be kept deactivated since she wants to call the Reapers and all.  But Narek would be a little more complicated.  

I have more of an issue with, where the fuck did the Romulans come up with 400 Warbirds less than a decade out of their main solar system being wiped out, and how the fuck does Starfleet have 200+ of "the most advance starship class ever" less than a decade out of their main shipyard being turned to a ball of fire that's *still* burning when I don't think they've ever churned out triple digits of *any* starship class,  including classes like the Sovereign and Prometheus that were specifically designed to solo BORG CUBES?

I did dig the shit out of calling back to the Picard Maneuver.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

I have more of an issue with, where the fuck did the Romulans come up with 400 Warbirds less than a decade out of their main solar system being wiped out, and how the fuck does Starfleet have 200+ of "the most advance starship class ever" less than a decade out of their main shipyard being turned to a ball of fire that's *still* burning when I don't think they've ever churned out triple digits of *any* starship class,  including classes like the Sovereign and Prometheus that were specifically designed to solo BORG CUBES?

I thought it was only 200 Warbirds. Also the Romulans were an Empire with tens of billions of people (that we know of, might have been even more before the supernova). 200 Warbirds sounds like a small number in reality, especially when the need for them in a war could arise at any moment. Even with the death of the Empire we actually don't know how much of the people or organizations survived. I mean the show kind of made it obvious the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash are the real ones running the current government. Who knows what shit they have hidden and where its hidden.

Was the shipyard hit their main one? I thought it was specifically for transport ships, and to be fair we also don't know how much of that was Riker playing a game of chicken as far as how advance those ships are. Also again you are talking about a galactic alliance with around a trillion people, if not straight up trillions. 200+ advanced ships is likely is a smaller number of their force than you are thinking, and I'm pretty sure more than that one large shipyard exists. Also after dealing with the Borg and going through the Dominion War I wouldn't be shocked if Starfleet prepared warships more regularly as to not be fucked so hard the next time someone brought a new species/empires wanting to bring war to their doorsteps.

Edited by Eivion

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From what I've seen of the show, the state of the galaxy/universe what have you in this show looks pretty bleak and dystopic. What the heck happened? Did the TNG equivalent of the president get elected leader of the Federation?

I am hesitant to watch Picard, but after Discovery S2, I'm 100% on board with Strange New Worlds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

From what I've seen of the show, the state of the galaxy/universe what have you in this show looks pretty bleak and dystopic. What the heck happened?

We see some of the seeds of this in Deep Space Nine, during the middle to the end of the Dominion War. Then Romulus blew up and the Federation, which had not recovered from the war, suddenly had millions of refugees to deal with. So things get dark.

It's a bit.... current events-ish, yeah.

Yeah the state of the known universe sadly makes sense when you consider the events that happened in the past twenty years or so from the Borg to the Dominion to Romulus's destruction. Things may sound bleak but in reality the galaxy is generally moving on. What we are focused on in Picard just happen to be the parts of the galaxy that haven't moved on yet along with the darker, less seen aspects you kind of knew existed but we didn't delve too much into except for when they had major ramifications on society. There are absolutely parts with some hopefulness in there, but its something of a journey to get there, especially because we have Picard having to deal with mistakes he made in the past and still dealing with a bit of PTSD from Locutus.

The series is honestly well worth watching just for Stewart as Picard alone. Beyond that its just interesting to see where things have headed in a post DS9/Voyager Trek. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

Obviously things are stable and calm enough that there are big multi-cultural scientific studies on Borg cubes and attempts to rehabilitate Borg converts. That seems like the sort of thing less likely to be occurring if the universe's gone to crap.

• Like 1

Also that with a destroyed homeworld, the Romulans can churn out 100's of ships, and the Federation can still churn out 1000's with their biggest shipyard still burning.  It's not so much the whole Galaxy is crap, it's just what we're seeing.  It's themes we've seen in Trek before, it's just not what we're used to with Picard.  

That said, Strange New Worlds following Pike's Enterprise in something I'm interested in.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:38 AM, JLSigman said:

We see some of the seeds of this in Deep Space Nine, during the middle to the end of the Dominion War. Then Romulus blew up and the Federation, which had not recovered from the war, suddenly had millions of refugees to deal with. So things get dark.

It's a bit.... current events-ish, yeah.

So Q was right about the human race and the Federation. Still creeped out by the drugged up soldiers.

Edited by TheVileOne

Well, I mean, it's not like the entire plot of Undiscovered Country isn't built around a whole lot of people's prejudices (And part of Search for Spock's, for that matter).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been laid up with a back injury all week so I've been cherry picking various Star Trek episodes. DS9 is my favorite and I've rewatched that a lot, so I've been watching a lot of TNG and Voyager, which led me to bingeing Picard yesterday. I absolutely loved it. I was worried about dystopian Trek at first, but after the first couple of eps it it was clear that this wasn't that. 
There's so much to talk about so I'll just mention two things. First, Bad ass Seven fucking rocks and Ichebs death was rough. The geek in me wondered why his friend,Q's son, didn't help him. ?And the Voyager music playing when Seven beamed off the ship made me tear up.

Second, as far as Lore goes..Sutra was Lore to Soji's Data. 

PS: I'm trying to think of what DS9 characters I'd like to see next season that'd make sense. Nog would have worked but Aron Eisenberg passed away this past year. But Andrew Robinson/ Garek would be perfect. 

• Like 2