DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

After the first episode, I did some IMDb searching to see who might or not be appearing, apart from the people they had already revealed in the previews. The one last night was a surprise to me. 

as far as I know, everyone is only up to episode 3. 

Completely agree with these two statements. They treat Raffi as if she were in TNG and all the movies, someone who knows Picard forever (for much longer than the gap since the last movie, especially considering that the story is that they did not talk to each other since the Mars event).

The holograms are a bit weird from a consistency point-of-view. On the one hand the story is that creating androids is hard as no one is able to re-create the positronic matrix (i.e. AI) Data had, on the other hand, the holograms are (from what we have seen in Voyager) way beyond just passing the Turing test. It did not matter in Voyager (or for the lounge singer character in DS9; Moriarty in TNG is more problematic in that regard; I am sure that there were other "sentient" hologram characters in Star Trek over the years as well), as there the AI stuff was just not in focus, but here it is one of the key plot points.

Weirdly have not thought about the oddity of allowing sentient holograms when they are so against androids. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

After the first episode, I did some IMDb searching to see who might or not be appearing, apart from the people they had already revealed in the previews. The one last night was a surprise to me. 

We should be getting more people from past Trek next season. Negotiations with Picardo (Voyager holo-doc) were happening for it last year, and Stewart invited Whoopi back personally on the View.

With the amount of "filling in what the fuck happened between Nemesis and now" flashbacks they're doing, I'm sure we'll get some backstory as to why Rafi is the only subordinate aside from Crusher that get's to address him informally.  There's comics in existance to but I'm not a fan of needing supplemental material.  

As to the Hologram vs. Android thing, if memory serves, the EXH's, while having a separate set of processors from the Ships they're on (that can't be replicated by replicators, they HAVE to be manufactured), they're still tied into a Ship's computer system, which in theory would have much more overall processing power than you could fit inside a humanoid head.   I don't think it's so much that they can't actually pull off AI, but that they need something the size of a Starship's computer core and ancillary systems plus the EXH's devoted systems and can't scale it down to fit inside of a human-sized brain cavity.  Data and Lore were the only 2 successes (before Dahj and Soji and possibly anyone else?).  Least that's how I reconcile it.

So here’s my speculation that I referenced earlier, and I’ll spoiler it just in case. It’s all based on just the first three episodes.

They hinted so much that Dr. Jurati was sent by Oh, or something similar, that I’m starting to think she was prepped for that by Picard, which is also why he “recklessly” told everything he knew to Starfleet, so he could lure out any infiltrators. Surely, he suspects if the Zhat Vash is working on Earth then they have to be aligned with someone in Starfleet.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Latest episode was good. Had some fun moments with darker underbelly and a surprising death early on. Dug the scenes with Picard and Seven quite a bit. Kind of disappointed that is seemingly all we will get of Seven this season. Would have been nice to see her stick around.

Voyager started soon after TNG, right in the middle of DS9, and ended before Nemesis. 

EDIT: Post Undiscovered Country looks like:

TNG

DS9 Starts during TNG Season 6

TNG ends during DS9 Season 2

Voyager starts during DS9 Season 3

DS9 Ends during First Contact

Voyager ends Season 7, 2 years before Nemesis.

The Mars incident is about 6 years after Nemesis.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dunno, I thought that the Romulan samurai was kinda lame, and this episode didn’t win me back.

Perhaps intentionally, this feels a lot less like a Star Trek series and more like a series set in the Star Trek universe, if that makes any sense.

Was excited to see Icheb and also realize that Bruce Maddox was a TNG character. 

16 hours ago, Control said:

Perhaps intentionally, this feels a lot less like a Star Trek series and more like a series set in the Star Trek universe, if that makes any sense.

That is exactly what it is. Its going for something different opposed to what we usually see. If it was going to be normal Trek then the series never would have happened.

Edited by Eivion

Normal Trek would be something along the line of some new ship or the Enterprise-F, and we'd see it from the Starfleet Captain's POV.  The interesting thing about Picard is we got 15 years of seeing the Trek world through Picard's POV as a Starship Captain.  Now we're seeing it from the prespecitve of a beaten man righting his last failure, seeing the seedy underbelly of the Universe that's been hinted at many times but now we're getting fleshed out.

I think the overall narrative is less about a Prohpecy of Soji being the Destroyer and more about the Zhat Vash conspiring with some Starfleet people to keep the hostilities open and using Synthetics as a catalyst, and repurposing Borg-tech to make a run at taking over the Galaxy, or at least the Federation.

I'm also sure that while Oh clearly got to Jurati, Agnes is not good at this and I'm wondering how the hell she's going to explain killing Maddox.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, Control said:

I dunno, I thought that the Romulan samurai was kinda lame, and this episode didn’t win me back.

Was excited to see Icheb and also realize that Bruce Maddox was a TNG character. 

I was a little disappointed they did not get the original actor to play Bruce Maddox. Google tells me he is the theatre director at Cal Tech. 

• Like 1