DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

That's a good point. Given Ro being Bajoran, I'd say it's a good guess that it's a Pah Wraith. I'd like for it to be something else, something new, but there's not enough time for that and this is all pretty much the biggest Star Trek tribute ever.

Despite the conveniences, I've turned a corner on the season and now really, really like it, but that's also off the backs of the last two episodes, the last one immediately jumping to one of my favorite episodes of Trek.

Then again, I may have just been beaten down enough by everything in Discovery and the first two seasons of Picard to just overly embrace anything remotely good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

It's kinda odd how everything so far has been a coincidence.  Picard and Riker only went to the Titan because Seven was the XO, and she happened to be commanded by a Wolf 359 survivor with massive PTSD/Survivor's Guilt.  And that the Titan happened to have one of LaForge's kids driving her.  That Jack happened to come across possibly a Pah Wraith or something else the Changelings wanted, and the whole Changlings happened to be being investigaged by Laren, Worf, and Raffy.  I mean, I'll forgive it so far but it does happen to be a lot of plot by convenience.

Is Seven being under a Wolf 359 survivor really a big coincidence? Starfleet had already refused her entry once. I can see them purposefully putting her in with someone they knew would have a grudge since they probably kept her in Starfleet begrudgingly. We still don't know what is up with Jack. Considering how the Prophets and Pah-Wraiths work it wouldn't be a coincidence they chose him. Not sure how Worf and Laren investigating Changelings would count as coincidence. Starfleet Intelligence would always be the ones investigating, and them using Laren to investigate potential treasons given her history makes some sense as she is someone who can understand certain mindsets. She would have been pulled into such investigations before people realized the people acting screwy were Changelings. Worf makes sense because he can kept at an arm's length officially and was the one Odo gave the warning to about the changelings in the first place.

The only noteworthy coincidence is the LaForge kid piloting. I assume they just didn't want both of his kids with him on one ship.

Edited by Eivion

On 3/17/2023 at 8:25 PM, Craig H said:

This was one of the best episodes of any Trek that I’ve seen. I did not expect that character to return. So much good stuff.

Also, as I’ve been watching this season, I was thinking, man, there sure is a lot that reminds me of the 12 Monkeys series. There’s been a bunch of actors from 12 Monkeys in this and the stuff with Jack is ripped straight out of 12 Monkeys, like all of the red, the creeping vines, visions of destruction, that door opening, etc. 

Then come to find out Terry Matalas is the showrunner. My hopes have significantly increased for this series sticking the landing.

I did not realize that Sneed was played by Aaron Stanford (the male lead in 12 Monkeys). Are there more people in the intersection of the two shows else besides Stanford, Acevedo and Stashwick that I have missed?

The fact that Section 31 has possibly a working Genesis Torpedo, along with both Kirk and Picard's mortal remains is worrisome.

Man I loved seeing the Enterprise-A.

EDIT: "All the ships are networked together" with the Fleet Museum being all older ships... we're totally getting Voyager and Enterprise-A getting one last hurrah (and possibly Excelsior, since the credits have the original NCC-2000 at the museum too).

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I loved the museum and Daystrom. I am curious why they would keep or need Kirk and Picard's remains. Also curious how much belonged to Section 31 and how much was the Federation's own weird shit in general. 

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I loved the museum and Daystrom. I am curious why they would keep or need Kirk and Picard's remains. Also curious how much belonged to Section 31 and how much was the Federation's own weird shit in general. 

2 of Starfleet's most famous and highly decorated Captain's, in the same building as a (presumably more stable) Genesis Torpedo and an advanced version of the Human/Synth hybrid that we already know works.  Nothing nefarious Section 31 can do with those things at all.

I get why Picard's remains would be valuable to the Changelings, but, ya'know, a fucking Genesis Torpedo exists.

Daystrom doesn't seem like something you want to leave as lightly guarded as it was.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Reading online, I feel like I was the only person to tear up at the golem recognizing Giordi.

That was just one of the many bits that had me misty eyed. The Voyager scene with Seven and Jack had me crying. 
That was the most Next Generation episode yet, down to some definitely intentional goofy dialogue during the big group scenes. 
What's JG Hertzler doing? I want Martok. And while you're at it, show that's already filmed, how about at least a Garek reference?

I love this season. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I now wonder what is the most obscure Easter egg they could do in the remaining episodes. 

Will Ashley Judd show up? 

For some reason, perhaps because I just woke up, I got Judd mixed up with Jolene Blalock and was wondering what sort of time-travel shenanigans they would need for that to happen. 

It's for the best, I don't think I could take Jeri Ryan and Jolene Blalock on my screen at the same time anyway.

13 hours ago, J.H. said:

These music cues are killing me, especially the Voyager one. I swear if Janeway doesn't show up I'll be really disappointed.

Why you don't steal Genesis baffles me

James

I think because stealing the probably one and only Genesis weapon remaining and using it does nothing for whoever the being or group is behind infiltrating Starfleet. So they use it against Earth or Vulcan or some other planet and...that's basically the only card they have to play. If we go by the logic in this new Trek universe that captains are famous and hold a lot of sway, then Picard's body being used to be a figurehead for whatever this takeover of Starfleet is would basically get everyone who isn't a changeling to fall in line with whatever the new directive is, which is probably the same old making Starfleet a military force blah blah blah except the end goal would be to break Starfleet from within and make systems easier to take over.

Ultimately, I don't think it would matter. There's too much force out there to overwhelm Starfleet as is to scare everyone into following a more fascist Starfleet. Klingons wouldn't care. They would just be like, oh sweet, you're finally ready to fight?

I don't know... Even as I type all of that out, that's just such weak sauce for an endgame for whoever the big bad is. It's even weaker if the goal is to break Starfleet to just let them pirate whatever they want at will. If there were more than the one Genesis weapon then I would say that's probably it.

The reason the Genesis planet didn't work was because it didn't have an existing planet to transform, and was just made in the Nebula(or what ever remained of it). Why they didn't have that explanation instead of retroing David to designing the thing and his hubris in Star Trek III, I'm not sure. Since it was banned, was it ever tried on a dead world?

They planted the seed for Genesis being unstable in TWoK itself when Carol said that everything in the cave grew in a week at an astonishingly accelerated rate.  They had it being unstable on the backburner.  THe retcon that it was mostly David was due to then not willing to pay Bibi Besch to show up again.

Picard's remains is less a figurehead for the Changlings and more, he's a Full Admiral and his command codes still all work (even if he's retired).  Changlings have his DNA and can do blood and organs.  They also planted a Chekov's Gun (yeah yeah) that all the ships in Starfleet are interlinked and will all be present on Fleet Day.  I'm guessing his body is needed to do a full override of all the Fleet (which would be a better plan overall, as it's been revealed that while Picard is a legend, there are a lot of people around that don't like him).  That's where I'm thinking the ships at the museum come into play, as they're not linked like the modern ships are.  That brings up a different problem as none of them should have functioning weapons systems, and all of them but Voyager shouldn't be able to hang with current ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I now wonder what is the most obscure Easter egg they could do in the remaining episodes. 

Will Ashley Judd show up? 

King Abdullah II of Jordan captaining a ship.

image-77.png

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2