DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I just hope she reenacts her scene as Honey Bunny threatening to kill every last MFing member of the Federation that moves.

Thats when she snaps. I love how calm she is. If she's actually our new Female Changeling that's when she should reveal it, man. Right as she turns into Odo face. The face that says, " I can figure out birds, guns, rocks, and all kinds of shit. But noses? " Those Bajoran noses were so hard he just gave up on faces.

Hell, it took old Odo hundreds of years to figure out faces on that time warp planet with the descendants of the crew.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

Oh man, episode 3 more than made up for the nonsense from the previous two episodes. I think the only thing I really didn't like was Picard being uncharacteristically blood thirsty. I mean, if First Contact Picard is a 1.0 on the CRUSH KILL CRUSH scale, then the Picard from episode 3 was probably about a 2.5. And then there were stories that Crusher was telling Picard about why their relationship wouldn't work and why she didn't tell him. Plus, I can't lie, it looks a little ridiculous when Jean Luc and Beverly are both at the great grandparent age or older in Jean Luc's case and they're talking about their son.

Riker being an excellent captain, Worf being Worf, the portal gun tricks from the Shrike, and the reveal of the Dominion rocked so fucking hard though that I'm overlooking the bullshit with Picard and Crusher for now.

Damn. Riker really should have had his own series with him as captain. 

Oh shit...I wonder if we're going to get Avery Brooks returning to the screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Oh man, episode 3 more than made up for the nonsense from the previous two episodes. I think the only thing I really didn't like was Picard being uncharacteristically blood thirsty. I mean, if First Contact Picard is a 1.0 on the CRUSH KILL CRUSH scale, then the Picard from episode 3 was probably about a 2.5. And then there were stories that Crusher was telling Picard about why their relationship wouldn't work and why she didn't tell him. Plus, I can't lie, it looks a little ridiculous when Jean Luc and Beverly are both at the great grandparent age or older in Jean Luc's case and they're talking about their son.

Riker being an excellent captain, Worf being Worf, the portal gun tricks from the Shrike, and the reveal of the Dominion rocked so fucking hard though that I'm overlooking the bullshit with Picard and Crusher for now.

Damn. Riker really should have had his own series with him as captain. 

Oh shit...I wonder if we're going to get Avery Brooks returning to the screen.

Not sure how you get Sisko back from the Prophets on Bajor, but who knows.

Now I'm sad that we're getting the Enterprise-F at some point, and we know that Nog is an influential enough Officer that he gets a ship named after him, but there's no way we get Captain Nog showing up without Aron Eisenberg.

• Sad 2

I didn't read the full run because I just stopped looking for torrents of them, but Sisko did get to leave the prophets to return to starfleet in the comics. 

I'm pretty sure Avery Brooks isn't going to be doing anything but his music, the theater, and teaching . Cirroc Lofton has said that Avery has been essentially blacklisted in Hollywood.  

And I don't think this is going to be the actual Dominion with the Jem Hadar or the Vorta. The story is that this a splinter group of changelings who are acting outside of the wishes of the Founders. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, Robert S said:

One of my take-aways of the last episode is that in the 24th century, a doctor does not know how to use birth control (I mean it sounded like the pregnancy was an accident).

My takeaway was that pregnancy and care for it had come a long way. My wife's pregnancy at 38 was considered a "geriatric" pregnancy. Crusher would have been in her mid 50s, not that pregnancies at that age are unheard of or anything, but also no one at that age today getting pregnant hops on or steals a spacecraft and goes rogue for the duration of their pregnancy.

Like most things Picard and Discovery, I've come to learn that I'm going to need to accept some shitty writing. It's whatever. The problem is when the writing is actually good, but the characters the dialogue is coming from makes no sense. Like the conversation between Picard and Crusher was really good...for anyone else. Crusher was describing Jean Luc as this swashbuckling, danger magnet. You'd think she was talking about Han Solo or something. And then there's still the part where it looked like grandparents or great grandparents talking about the kid they had together, except that kid happens to be in his mid 20s.

One other thing that bugged me about this episode and I think it's a larger commentary on how all modern Trek is written, but Picard, Riker, and even Kirk are regarded as these really famous superstar captains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are many Starfleet captains and they don't stand out or are famous for their escapades, the three I mentioned included. But they're written from this fan perspective where they're famous to us and then that's how they're written in these shows. Again, it's such a small detail, but it's something that's been a thing for a long while now. 

And then finally, there's this. Of the group of friends that I have, only a few of us watch all of this new Trek and one of them pointed something out that the others that aren't watching new Trek agreed with. That's the hop scotching of being captain on the ship or giving orders. I thought Riker was really awesome in the episode, but the counterpoint brought up to me was that Shaw didn't act like a very good captain because before he was even injured he dictated that it was his ship and he calls the shots, only for moments later for him to do what Picard and Riker were telling him to do. Then Shaw turns over being Captain to Riker, which makes sense to me because he was mortally wounded. The problem my friend had was that Riker demurred and acted without any confidence, eventually acquiescing to what Picard was telling him instead of polling the rest of the bridge to see what their thoughts were. Everyone else on the bridge was essentially cut out of the decision making process when it came to what to do about the Shrike. I didn't even really think about that, but that was something you'd see in the older Trek series. Again, not something that I care about enough to affect what I'm watching, but it was something I hadn't thought about before and it's probably just another example of how disconnected the current writers are from Star Trek.

That was the most Star Trek episode I've seen in years not coming from SNW.

I also kinda can't help notice that during the end title cards, it shows ships in the fleet museum, and it shows us more each week.  But it seems that the Voyager, the Enterprise-A, and Excelsor are at the museum.

Edited by Raziel

Re: Crusher’s pregnancy.  I’m guessing the answer is advances in science blah blah blah.

I feel like the explanation should be “have you seen the guy I was shagging?  He looked older than dirt 40 years ago.  Who knew his boys were still champion swimmers?”

How accessible is this season if you’re not a Trekkie?  I’m not much of a fan and barely know who returnees from Next Generation are.  I think I watched a bit of Deep Space Nine when it first aired, but I remember practically nothing.  The talk about founders and Gem Haddae (probably misspelled) is going right over my head.  I’m not even sure I remember who Odo was (melted face guy or the shirt alien with big ears?) without consulting Google.

I mostly enjoyed S1 and really disliked S2, if that tells you anything.

It's not really accessable. There's been a ALOT of callbacks to TNG and DS9.

Although Shaw's story about being a survivor of Wolf 359 puts his character into a lot of perspective.

Kind of interesting to see them give some closure on a nearly 3 decade old plot line. Nice to see the separate plots starting to converge as well. Will be interesting to see who else pops up before the season ends.

Spoiler

They keep mentioning Janeway so much you have to think Kate Mulgrew at least cameos in the finale or something. 

• Like 1

I'd like to know what the hell is with Jack, but I haven't seen anything in Trek that matches up, outside of him maybe having some connection to a Link.

It was a random thought at first, but while we're wrapping up TNG/DS9 Loose ends, maybe the bugs aren't out of the question.

All I can say is... HO-LEE SHEEEEEEEEEET!

So many pieces are falling into place but so many new questions.

I liked the resolution to the return of [REDACTED]

Is there any chance we just got a little bit of Colm Meaney?

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

This was one of the best episodes of any Trek that I’ve seen. I did not expect that character to return. So much good stuff.

Also, as I’ve been watching this season, I was thinking, man, there sure is a lot that reminds me of the 12 Monkeys series. There’s been a bunch of actors from 12 Monkeys in this and the stuff with Jack is ripped straight out of 12 Monkeys, like all of the red, the creeping vines, visions of destruction, that door opening, etc. 

Then come to find out Terry Matalas is the showrunner. My hopes have significantly increased for this series sticking the landing.

• Like 1

Guys guys guys, the answer has been right there.  

Changelings, destruction, a Bajoran intelligence officer, whatever the hell Vadic is doing and who she was talking to...

Jack's possessed by a fucking Pah Wraith.

Are we SURE Kurtzman and Paramount didn't drive a Brinks truck up to Brooks and they've all managed to keep it under wraps?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Then come to find out Terry Matalas is the showrunner. My hopes have significantly increased for this series sticking the landing.

He was one of the showrunners for season 2 as well though its hard to believe with how differently both seasons have played out so far. Guessing this one has more of his input, particularly since the cime planet Worf and Rafi are on was named after him back during his days working on Enterprise. 

Just now, Raziel said:

Changelings, destruction, a Bajoran intelligence officer, whatever the hell Vadic is doing and who she was talking to...

Are we SURE Kurtzman and Paramount didn't drive a Brinks truck up to Brooks and they've all managed to keep it under wraps?

I was going to mention this but wanted shut up as to not get hopes up. Like at this point I really need it to be this or the bug aliens. 

I think we're past spoilers for this one, right? Cause I just have to say how incredible Michelle Forbes was in this episode.  Holy shit. Her scenes with Stewart were fantastic.  

I'm still trying to figure out how freaking Moriarty and possibly Lore play into this whole thing. I guess Changelings can explain that. Or did they steal an old Lore, ( I don't know) or Moriarty's cube from Daystrom? 

Hey, have any if you tried to watch the Ready Room with Wil Wheaton? I tried last night and had to turn it off fast. He's insufferable.  " Hey, Nerds!" Blechh. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

32 minutes ago, Raziel said:

YOU

Keep talking

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just realized that Kirk Acevedo played Krinn. I knew I recognized him. He's great. I loved him on Oz and Arrow. It was great that both Sneed and Krinn sound like a Ferengi and a Vulcan from the Sopranos.

They were such perfect representations of how shady both races can get in the more serious underground crime world. 

It's kinda odd how everything so far has been a coincidence.  Picard and Riker only went to the Titan because Seven was the XO, and she happened to be commanded by a Wolf 359 survivor with massive PTSD/Survivor's Guilt.  And that the Titan happened to have one of LaForge's kids driving her.  That Jack happened to come across possibly a Pah Wraith or something else the Changelings wanted, and the whole Changlings happened to be being investigaged by Laren, Worf, and Raffy.  I mean, I'll forgive it so far but it does happen to be a lot of plot by convenience.

If Jack's issue really is a Pah Wraith, I imagine it's going to be rather interesting when Worf picks up on it (I imagine Worf and Raffy will be linking up with the rest of the group soon)