DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

Dug the episode for reasons already mentioned. Curious to see how they deal with what happened in the final scene. I figured that would eventually come up again, but once again they did it earlier than expected. 

I like all of the new shows to some degree (even the ones that frustrate me), but SNW had to have the strongest S1 of any of them. 

Good god, random thought but the extra layers that conversation toward the end between Pike and Spock added to The Menagerie are incredible, since I don't think Spock ever gave Kirk a full on reason as to *why* he would go so against his character to do that. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have started rewatching Voyager for the first time in more than 20 years. When it originally aired, I quit somewhere during season 4 (apart from two or three single episodes) and I did not rewatch anything since then. Also, this is the first time I am watching it non-dubbed (the voice of Kate Mulgrew takes some time to get used to). In case someone is interested, here my thoughts on the first two seasons, where I agree with younger me and what I see different now / did not realize back then:

• The writers and showrunners completely ignore the whole premise of the series. For example, Voyager should be flying straight to the alpha quadrant. But even after two years, they still have no problem reaching Maje Culluh and his crew with a short flight. Similarly, there is always a Talaxian ship around, when they need it. In the same vein, there are people killed left and right on the ship without it having any effect on the crew. A list I found after a quick Google search lists 12 casualties between the pilot and the end of the two parter at the end of season 2 / start of season 3.
  • The relationship between Neelix and Kes was weird when I was a teenager, now as a full grown adult, it's about the worst thing going on in the series. To make it even worse, making the Ocampa short lived and and Kes only 2(sic!)-years-old, they almost shout in your face "here is a man in his fourties having a relationship with a child". Thankfully, in season 2 (at least in the latter half) the relationship is not that much in focus.
  • Talking about Kes, Jennifer Lien was a pretty decent actress that had great comic timing. What a pity that Lien (allegedly) has personal problems and therefore was cut after season 3.
  • Besides the disgusting relationship, Neelix is actually not that annoying a character as I remember. Usually he only plays a supporting role at best, used for some throwaway lines and when he is given serious material (again, besides the Kes stuff), it actually works quite well (the Oppenheimer-inspired episode Jetrel, that focuses on Neelix, is one of my favorite episodes so far, for example).
  • They got some great actors for guest appearences, most notably Michael McKean and Joel Grey, both bringing performances that made episodes that might have failed badly with worse actors.
  • The concept of Tom Paris and what they actually did with it does not match at all. After the pilot, there is barely any scene (besides the gambit they ran to expose the traitor on the ship) that would make you believe that this is a guy who was kicked out of Starfleet, joined the Maquis as a mercenary and spent some time in a penal settlement.
  • Robert Picardo as the holodoc is as great as I remember it.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:45 PM, Robert s said:

I have started rewatching Voyager for the first time in more than 20 years. When it originally aired, I quit somewhere during season 4 (apart from two or three single episodes) and I did not rewatch anything since then. Also, this is the first time I am watching it non-dubbed (the voice of Kate Mulgrew takes some time to get used to). In case someone is interested, here my thoughts on the first two seasons, where I agree with younger me and what I see different now / did not realize back then:

• The writers and showrunners completely ignore the whole premise of the series. For example, Voyager should be flying straight to the alpha quadrant. But even after two years, they still have no problem reaching Maje Culluh and his crew with a short flight. Similarly, there is always a Talaxian ship around, when they need it. In the same vein, there are people killed left and right on the ship without it having any effect on the crew. A list I found after a quick Google search lists 12 casualties between the pilot and the end of the two parter at the end of season 2 / start of season 3.
  • The relationship between Neelix and Kes was weird when I was a teenager, now as a full grown adult, it's about the worst thing going on in the series. To make it even worse, making the Ocampa short lived and and Kes only 2(sic!)-years-old, they almost shout in your face "here is a man in his fourties having a relationship with a child". Thankfully, in season 2 (at least in the latter half) the relationship is not that much in focus.
  • Talking about Kes, Jennifer Lien was a pretty decent actress that had great comic timing. What a pity that Lien (allegedly) has personal problems and therefore was cut after season 3.
  • Besides the disgusting relationship, Neelix is actually not that annoying a character as I remember. Usually he only plays a supporting role at best, used for some throwaway lines and when he is given serious material (again, besides the Kes stuff), it actually works quite well (the Oppenheimer-inspired episode Jetrel, that focuses on Neelix, is one of my favorite episodes so far, for example).
  • They got some great actors for guest appearences, most notably Michael McKean and Joel Grey, both bringing performances that made episodes that might have failed badly with worse actors.
  • The concept of Tom Paris and what they actually did with it does not match at all. After the pilot, there is barely any scene (besides the gambit they ran to expose the traitor on the ship) that would make you believe that this is a guy who was kicked out of Starfleet, joined the Maquis as a mercenary and spent some time in a penal settlement.
  • Robert Picardo as the holodoc is as great as I remember it.

They eventually do a Paris fucks up bad arc, that lasts like two eps. My favorite dead crew member was the serial killer who redeemed himself dying to get back the ship from Seska and the aliens with pine cones glued to their heads.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:49 AM, J.H. said:

Man I love Lower Decks!

I can hardly wait to see Anson Mount's hair on it!

James

I watched the first two seasons a couple weeks ago and was mostly into it by the end of season 2.  Honestly, I had expected to dislike it or be bored.  It was an impulse watch that doesn’t tick any of my boxes.   I’m not a Star Trek fan, a sci-if fan or a fan of cartoons.

I’m talking all this to mean the show is actually good.

On 8/28/2022 at 6:49 AM, J.H. said:

Man I love Lower Decks!

I can hardly wait to see Anson Mount's hair on it!

James

The Ketrecel White-Hot joke was my favorite. That and the fact that the Kelsey Grammer Captain from " Cause and Effect" saved the day behind the scenes.

16 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Is no one here watching Lower Decks? It's the best Star Trek that ever Treked.

Oh I do. The best Trek might go a bit far considering it is mostly spoofing Star Trek (and if you have not seen A LOT of Trek you probably don't get many jokes) but three seasons in and so far no bad or even boring episodes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

Oh I do. The best Trek might go a bit far considering it is mostly spoofing Star Trek (and if you have not seen A LOT of Trek you probably don't get many jokes) but three seasons in and so far no bad or even boring episodes.

I just love it. It's one of the only tv shows that makes me literally laugh out loud. And it's got so much heart. Sure, it helps that I get nearly every reference and joke, but it's also more than a spoof. It's Star Trek at its core. I care about the characters. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I saw folks online talking about Vash (Not Vash). 

Yeah, that was last week's ep. They introduced a Vash type who is tempting Mariner to join her. She's a member of the Independent Archeologists Guild, which is really funny.

Armin Shimmerman and Nana Visitor guest on this week's ep. 

Absolutely loved the DS9 episode of Lower Decks. Gave a nice bit of respect to DS9 with some fun moments and easter eggs while still focusing on and developing the Lover Decks crew. It was great hearing Visitor and Shimmerman's voices again.

Edited by Eivion

32 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Absolutely loved the DS9 episode of Lower Decks. Gave a nice bit of respect to DS9 with some fun moments and easter eggs while still focusing on and developing the Lover Decks crew. It was great hearing Visitor and Shimmerman's voices again.

Armin actually had to wear the prosthetic Ferengi teeth to properly do Quark's voice. 

I got emotional and then laughed my ass off. "Just keep circling."

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1