DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

You just kept hoping Pike would figure it out before it was too late, but not even Kirk won all the time.

Speaking of Kirk, hey, Sam Kirk still exists!

I just keep waiting to hear Paramount is just going to give the show the 5 year run TOS never got.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You just kept hoping Pike would figure it out before it was too late, but not even Kirk won all the time.

What I think I liked is that on some level he knew some shit was up. He just couldn't help but let his feelings for Alora get in the way. He desperately wanted to trust her until it was just too late. He just looks so disgusted with everything at the end.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Speaking of Kirk, hey, Sam Kirk still exists!

I just keep waiting to hear Paramount is just going to give the show the 5 year run TOS never got.

Sam Kirk is the most useless, pointless character on this show. He's the only member of the crew I really actively dislike.

This week's episode drops Kolinahr early on in the conversation. Referencing Star Trek The Motion Picture always makes me happy but the attempts to make T'Pring sympathetic is... an issue for me but the big surprise made my jaw drop!

James

Edited by J.H.

T'Pring and Kolinahr hell, they just dropped friggin' SYBOK!  They're gonna rehab a character from the worst movie.

Although with the T'Pring rehab and the Sybok mention (as well as Angel being his partner), I'm starting to buy into the "Prime continuity got stealth rebooted timelined around First Contact" theory.  

• Like 1

Just now, Raziel said:

T'Pring and Kolinahr hell, they just dropped friggin' SYBOK!  They're gonna rehab a character from the worst movie.

Although with the T'Pring rehab and the Sybok mention (as well as Angel being his partner), I'm starting to buy into the "Prime continuity got stealth rebooted timelined around First Contact" theory.  

I was  trying to not let the cat slip out of the bag with Sybok. At first I thought they were going to make Captain Angel Pike's Harry Mudd but now... shit anything is on the table!

James

• Like 2

The best way to ID the racists and misogynists in online Trek Fandom on Twitter is the Sybok test. If someone is fine with Sybok as a shocking new sibling of Spock but hates that Burnham is a shocking new sibling of Spock is a bit of a tell.

A goofy but fun episode. Anson Mount's hair continues to impress and is once again the show's MVP
Seriously though, the ending was bittersweet but I'm glad they wrapped up the Doctor's story as opposed to dragging it out over 5 years.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was not expecting them to end M'Banga's arc with his daughter like that, but at the same time it was the most Trek way to end an arc like that possible, so I'm really cool with it.  

How the hell did it take so long for Mount to catch on in a big roll, dude is tremendous?

• Like 1

I am so, so, so close to finishing Discovery. I have to say, man, this is not a good TV show. Every season is, "WOAH, BIG SPACE MYSTERY!!!!" and then trying to pull at heartstrings that are totally unearned. For example, we never really hear Book talk about his home planet, his nephew, or his cousin. We get one episode of that and the next episode they destroy that planet and we're expected to give a shit? If Book talked about how important that place was to him from the beginning then it would have more weight, but as it is, it's just another unearned moment. And Discovery has been littered with bullshit like this. Something or someone gets introduced in one episode and then the next episode later they're dead. Another good example is when the android looking woman on the bridge dies. She is literally just a background character and her name is used maybe once or twice. Then she gets an episode where she dies and everyone acts all sad, but this character was never given any weight to feel sad for.

The other thing that really bugs me about Discovery is that these all might as well be nameless, faceless, wireframes of characters. What are Burnham's interests? What does she like? What are her hobbies? The most we know about Burnham is that she thought her parents died, she was raised by Vulcans, and that's about it. What about Lt. Detmer? Who is she? What does she like? How about the Asian guy that's always on the bridge where they say his name approximately once per season. I mean, I get that this isn't TNG or DS9 and there isn't a ton of time to explore all of these characters to flesh them out, but Jesus Christ, give us something, ANYTHING. Everyone is just so hollow and annoying. 

In this entire run of Discovery that I've watched we have yet to get one episode where the crew has nothing going on and everyone is just hanging out except there's some kind of mystery of the week stemming from a holodeck or something. Everything is just plowing ahead towards unraveling the greater mystery that gets introduced in the first episode.

I really thought that after season three and finding out what the Burn was caused by that I was just going to tap out on the series. So you're telling me that the Burn wasn't caused by some kind of computer virus created by space pirates/terrorists, it wasn't something caused by the Emerald Chain, but it was rather caused by some dumb as fuck Kelpien that screams when he gets scared and is on a planet that he just happens to have two perfect genetic mutations for - one that makes him immune to radiation poisoning, and the other that makes him resonate with dilithium on a subspace level. THAT'S WHAT THEY CAME UP WITH?! And then in the first two episodes of season 4 Su'Kal is no longer a fucking idiot and appears to have grown and matured greatly in what was a matter of months hanging out with Saru. Like, come on.

This series should be so much better than it is and it's just continuously kicking you in the nuts. My friends are all telling me to just skip past the rest of Discovery and move on to SNW because SNW is actually really good, but there's a masochistic side to me that just needs to know what happens on Discovery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:25 AM, Raziel said:

I was not expecting them to end M'Banga's arc with his daughter like that, but at the same time it was the most Trek way to end an arc like that possible, so I'm really cool with it.  

How the hell did it take so long for Mount to catch on in a big roll, dude is tremendous?

He was the lead on Hell on Wheels for several years. After that, he got Marvel's Inhumans...and we saw what happened there. From there he bounced back with Discovery which was able to garner enough interest for a spinoff with him as Pike captaining the Enterprise in this era. So things worked out in the long run.

He's also the lead, Sebastian, in The Evil Within games. 

Just now getting the chance to go back and watch the second season of Picard. I haven’t been spoiled on anything yet, other than a general sense that most people online seemed to dislike (or even hate) it.  The first episode seemed a little meandering in getting everyone back together, but the end with Q was pretty perfect.  I think I forgot just how malevolent Q actually is given DeLancie plays a nicer version of Q on My Little Pony, and it’s taking me a while to associate his voice with Q again instead of Discord.

If this is how they are retconning the Gorn i.e. 1 part Predato/2 parts Alien then I have zero problem as the Gorn had the least developed background of racoes from TOS - DS9.

I was really starting to like Hemmer. I swear if they used this just to get us another actor to be Scotty I'm gonna be pissed.

James

Edited by J.H.

An Aliens/Predator episode of SNW was not quite expected but a welcome surprise. That said, fucking hell am I disappointed Hemmer is already gone. He was one of the more fun characters among the new crew.

I'm digging the use of the Gorn. They are decently scary as a concept.

Edited by Eivion

Finished Discovery. I'm done typing words about that shitshow.

Immediately watched episode one of Strange New Worlds. Holy shit. The turnaround in quality from Discovery to SNW will give you whiplash. It's largely made by the same people too. I don't get how, at least in episode 1 of SNW, they totally stuck the landing for kicking off a new series, but consistently fumbled with Picard and Discovery.

We should preserve Anson Mount for all of eternity, unless he's secretly a scumbag or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I'm not going to say Jim isn't a pain in the ass, he's a HUGE pain in the ass" made chuckle. I'm glad Paul Wesley isn't just doing a Shatner impersonation or copying any mannerisms. It can't be easy filling Shatner's hairpiece

So this episode was basically rewriting "Balance of Terror" for that timeline and of course I geeked at the classic music cue when we see the Romulan bridge

I got antsy fearing we were going to get Pike/Spock version of Spock's death from Wrath of Khan and I'm glad we didn't. I'm also thinking that Anson Mount looks awesome in Star Trek II era Starfleet uniform.

Also, don't tease me with Scotty like that

Finally, revelations from earlier i nthe season come to bite the crew in the ass giving us a nice cliffhanger until next winter

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

I like the Kurtzman-era take on the Movie-uniforms.  Episode was a neat contrast of Pike and Kirk, although the reactor incident wasn't quite the point that Pike left command.  Although avoiding the Reactor incident might've been what stopped Pike from taking promotion.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1