DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

No, timeline wise, it's still Prime, it's just standard "inconsistancies" from the original, like super geeky tech stuff, the Warp Core design is about 15 years in universe too early, some of the transporter stuff they did is even beyond what the transporters is Picard could do, and some character/species changes.  It's Pike's Enterprise and takes place between Discovery S2 and TOS. 

There is one massive change to the Prime timeline though, but it's Picard S2 Finale spoilers:

Spoiler

So... they just up and not only shifted the Eugenics War into the 2030's and that it may or may not just roll into WW3, but they also snuck in another war.  And 2024 Soong was guy who created Khan??

I'm wondering if they're not just going to up and roll this into a soft TOS reboot somehow.

Man, I cried tears during the Picard finale and the first ep of SNW. Honestly, I don't care about continuity in Star Trek because Star Trek has never cared about continuity in Star Trek. Trills had lumpy heads at first. Dates of future events can be changed. Ferengis were once "a threat" with energy whips. Did Quark and Rom ever once have an energy whip? Klingons used to be white guys in brown face and Romulans could only travel at impulse speeds. Picard this season hand waves away "ol' mama Picard" from that shitty TNG S1 ep where they're hallucinating by Picard saying he used to like to remember her as an old woman offering him tea. No one ever told Worf he stunk as Head of Security and can't open doors. There's not a set of sliding locked doors Worf can open, but he always tries.  And they never once said, "Data keeps getting taken over by outside forces and he takes over the ship a lot. " How many chances does he get?  Why does Jellico have a kid who still draws pics with crayons? Did Mrs. Jellico have a miracle baby or is Jellico on his third marriage with a problematically younger wife? Who cares?

And how can you not have cried at the conclusion of the Q/ Picard story? It was clear since "Tapestry" that Q actually loved Picard, and this wrapped that up. Allison Pill leaving the show with the Borg babyface turn was tremendous. I loved it. I assume Rios is gone from next season as well and I'll miss them both.

Star Trek evolves. Not being enslaved to minor continuity is why Trek continues to evolve. 

The new Trek show that really plays with continuity and a shared universe is Lower Decks. It's not only fucking hilarious and totally Trek, it scratches all the nostalgia itches without seeming like fan service. The deep references are so much fun and when it gets to serious adventure, it kills. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dug the S2 finale of Picard. I have never really had the level of issues others have had with it so the whole season was solid for me overall even if they probably could have used one or two less episodes.

Strange New Worlds had a nice first episode building off of what we saw in Discovery S2 for Pike's character. Does a good job of introducing the crew and giving a decent sense of character for most of them. In general this is the show that feels more like classic trek than any of the other new shows. Feels like it was made for the people who reject newer trek to a degree while still being enjoyable for those that do enjoy it.

So do the Travellers, Watchers and Presevers all tie in to each other somehow? Because that would really be diving into Trek lore

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Strange New Worlds is the best Star Trek show since DS9.

We’re big Hell on Wheels fans in this household so looking forward to it. Once it’s over we’ll re-up paramount for a month and watch the back half of Discovery, Picard S2, and it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We’re big Hell on Wheels fans in this household so looking forward to it. Once it’s over we’ll re-up paramount for a month and watch the back half of Discovery, Picard S2, and it.

That's a good idea since they are dropping the episodes weekly. I got the advantage of watching the first 5. 

Anson Mount could carry a show on his shoulders and haircut, and it's so great that he doesn't have to. I love the supporting characters already after one episode. 
It does looks a little like there might be some ST Discovery "Here's the bridge crew who have no stories or developed characters " problems, but I'm ready to be proved wrong on that. Cause the first episode was really great. 
That's wild, since first episodes of Star Trek shows have never been great. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

Holy shit. I made it to the end of season 1 of Picard. No hyperbole, but this was maybe the biggest slog of TV I've watched since season 2 of Lost or the Ireland season of Sons of Anarchy. Holy shit. So many episodes put me to sleep. I think of the whole season there were maybe a few episodes I liked, Nepenthe in particular. I did also kind of like the season finale, but I have some obvious issues with it...

• All of Starfleet showing up felt like it was cribbed right from the end of Rise of Skywalker. Don't borrow ideas from Rise of Skywalker.
  • Man, the Borg Cube was really irrelevant and felt like a way to shoehorn in 7 of 9 more than anything else. You could have done this whole season without the Cube and it would have still been the same.
  • Picard constantly pleading with Soji and Soji being really fucking dumb for a synth was pretty annoying.
  • I felt the very ending, so everything with Picard, was a little cheap, unearned, and undone faster than WWE undoes their shit. I am surprised that from episode 1 or 2 that I predicted what would happen with Picard.

All in all, I'm conflicted on this as a season. I don't think it was necessarily bad, but it wasn't that good. I'm still looking forward to season 2 though and I'm looking forward to starting Discovery. I think I'll go through Discovery first before I jump into Strange New Worlds.

Discovery S2 is kinda needed for a bit of the backstory to start SNW, so yeah, even if S1 is, um, uneven and Burhman is probably the most questionable Star Trek main character in pretty much every series.

S2 of Picard is much better, even if it does slide off the rails a bit in the back third, it sticks the landing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah, there's some stuff that's fun to watch, but nothing is *necessary*

I will say the pilot of SNW did make me want to go back and see if any of the Enterprise based episodes of Discovery were worth the effort.

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

Discovery S2 is kinda needed for a bit of the backstory to start SNW, so yeah, even if S1 is, um, uneven and Burhman is probably the most questionable Star Trek main character in pretty much every series.

S2 of Picard is much better, even if it does slide off the rails a bit in the back third, it sticks the landing.

Burnham is such a Mary sue even Rey thinks it's over the top.

Edited by Kuetsar

I’m super high on the last season and a half of Discovery (haven’t seen the back half yet) because I think they absolutely nailed the idealism, and a lot of that is putting Burnham, as the embodiment of the Federation itself, into a setting where the contrast is severe and her competence is narratively warranted and necessary. I wasn’t nearly as high on the show before that.

Edited by Matt D

I blazed through Picard S2. I guess that’s what happens when it’s leaps and bounds better than S1. Not that it’s without any problems because there’s a bunch, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Onward to Discovery.

• Like 2

My only concern is between this week's SNW and some of the stuff Picard touched on, that we're getting something Khan in the Eugenics Wars related pretty soon.