DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

I thought the season was going to be Q-centric, but it's teasing something I never knew I wanted: A borg zombie apocalypse story in modern times. Don't know if we'll get it either with only 3 episodes left unless they get a move on. The plot has slowed down a lot in the last 3 episodes. Hopefully they can stick the landing.

I am split regarding the latest episode or more specifically the Picard side plot. One the one hand, the whole plot (1) only makes sense if Picard would be an only child (which he is not) and (2) introducing a traumatic childhood at this point (after something like 190 episodes of TV with him as main character) is more than just out of left field. On the other hand, Gaius Baltar is now canonically Picard's father.

• Like 1

The thing is... we  were introduced to Picard's mother in an episode of TNG and there was nothing pointing to what we got here. I mean in 7seasons nothing like this was remotely alluded to

James

• Like 1

The version of Picard's mom we saw in TNG was some sort of weird vision from season one. And who's to say Robert just wasn't there during Picard's dream state as a little prince? 

Strict continuity has never really been part of Star Trek, especially TNG. There are loads of examples. Off the top of my head, when they introduced the Trill in TNG the symbiote was fully the personality of and in control of the host and when DS9 came along with Jadzia it wasn't.  

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

I have tried...so many times now...to get through season 1 and it's such a freaking slog. I have tried watching The Impossible Box episode at least 3 times now and every time it puts me to sleep.

This season has to get better or more interesting, right? Or would it make sense to just skip ahead to season 2, which apparently is much better than season 1? Does any of the Soji stuff even matter beyond this season?

This season has been so uneven, I was so excited at the start and by episode 4 was just in a mindset of "can we move this shit along?". It is going to take a Moses parts the Red Sea level episode to save this thing for me

James

On 4/19/2022 at 3:26 PM, J.H. said:

The thing is... we  were introduced to Picard's mother in an episode of TNG and there was nothing pointing to what we got here. I mean in 7seasons nothing like this was remotely alluded to

James

Picard pay attention to continuity like it matters? What do you think this is?

Sort of like Romulans hating AI and not studying cybernetics. "We don't study cybernetics."

On 4/29/2022 at 2:51 AM, J.H. said:

This season has been so uneven, I was so excited at the start and by episode 4 was just in a mindset of "can we move this shit along?". It is going to take a Moses parts the Red Sea level episode to save this thing for me

James

"Uneven" is a fair assessment. The current season is a bit like they thought if they took of one those time travel two parters / ST IV and stretched it over a whole season, added a "Borg taking over everything part 538" subplot and have a couple of John de Lancie and Brent Spiner guest appearances, they would have a winner (and cheaper production costs). Sadly, they don't. There are some good scenes and ideas here and there, but the whole plot direction is unfocused, none of the directions which they have taken it (Picard's childhood trauma, Borg queen taking over, Q trying to use Soong to change (of fix?) the past, Rios doing his best to screw with the timeline ...) being especially great and the total being less than a sum of its parts.

The sad thing is that this still makes Star Trek: Picard 100 times better than Discovery which is a complete mess on a good day.

Edited by Robert s

So with Queen Agnes recreating the Borg, I can think of only 2 ways the crew get home. Either Senile Q in a final act or Wesley. And obviously, Agnes was the Borg Queen who came to the Stargazer.

• Like 1

I liked the surprises in the finale quite a bit and they almost salvaged the season. As always I get emotional for music cues and the big one was the TNG hints but I thought I heard some light "First Contact" bits as well. I'n not putting any spoilers here so let em say, despite a strong start and meandering middle, the Finale of Picard S2 was on point.

James

• Like 2

Still trying to get through the first season. I know, I should just skip it, but it took me about 5 tries to get past the Impossible Box episode. That episode brought to mind three huge underlying problems I have with Picard.

The first is that, man, is it ever fucking boring. I watched all of TNG and most of the time, Picard feels more boring than some of the most filler episodes of TNG.

Second, almost everyone is unlikeable. I think can count Rios, 3 of 5, maaaaaaybe Picard, and Picard's Romulan slaves as the only characters that I liked up until the next episode with Riker, Troi, and their daughter. Those three were all fantastic and that was maybe my favorite episode of the season. Everyone else though can go fuck themselves. Pill's character is awful and her acting doesn't help. Raffi is, man, maybe the most unlikeable character in all of Star Trek. Every time she calls Picard "JL" I just cringe. I mean, did I miss something from the past with her character? Was she ever in anything else? I don't think she was so she just feels like she was thrown in to be the, "I'm always going to act like I don't like Picard, but I really do." All of Starfleet can go fuck themselves.

And that leads me to my third issue, which is that this is just so dystopian for Star Trek. I know I shouldn't expect much with Akiva Goldsman writing this shit, but man is it just so depressing. It just doesn't feel like Trek, which I'm sure is going to lead to a whole host of issues once I start watching Discovery.

Rios is just the best though and I love all of the holo programs being based off of Rios.

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think those are all things we said at the time. And you haven’t presumably gotten to the final yet.

Oh. Well that's just wonderful. At least I'm not alone in thinking that stuff. Once I get to season 2, I'm looking forward to going back through this thread.

Yeah, Season 2 is much better, and explains the setup for the OG TNG cast coming back for S3.  S1 is a slog and the ending, well...just hang on for S2.

Big S2 spoiler though:

Spoiler

Wheaton you fucking scoundrel.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Trek related, Strange New Worlds seems ok, even if it does the current Trek of smashing continuity.

That's what I was wondering. The continuity part anyway. So is this now a third concurrent Trek timeline. There's the main normal one that has it's own time travel shenanigans, the rebooted movie timeline, and now Strange New Worlds' timeline?

I mean, if we get Crisis on Infinite Star Treks then that would be kinda neat.