DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

That actually makes less sense. If its 3 days until the event that xhanges time happens then the previous timeline is still in play... or is this some quantum mechanics bullshit that will make me go crosseyed?

James

Yup. Cause even though it's 3 days until the event, at this point the event will still happen so Whoopi never met Picard in Time's Arrow.  

Star Trek: Voyager "Year of Hell, Part 1"

"I hate time travel."

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

I'm just watching the ep now and I like that they cast someone as a younger Guinan instead of de-aging CGI. That would've looked like shit. And they explained her new aging at will power in Ep one. 
And I loved how they finally explained why Frenchman Picard has an English accent. I laughed even though it involved Nazis. 

Edit: Ok, I just finished the ep and I think the best explanation is that the writers hated Time's Arrow as much as everyone hates Time's Arrow. I'm totally fine with that.

And there was a DS9 Bell riots eps deep joke on a newspaper headline that made me laugh out loud. Did anyone else catch that? 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

So why does Laris not have pointed ears here? 

And also, the ending scene confused me. Q is wearing a Europa jumpsuit so I guess this is the turning point. But why are his powers affected?

Also, Amazon's cast menu thing has a spoiler for next week:

Spoiler

The blonde reading the book at the end is Renee Picard - who was mentioned in season 2's premiere when Picard addressed Starfleet Academy and spoke of his ancestor, Rene Picard, who helped explore the solar system.

*Edit* apparently I have to watch Star Trek: TOS episode "Assignment: Earth" again, as it has a "supervisor" in it.

Edited by Leonidas

15 hours ago, Raziel said:

It is kinda amazing that 2024 is the divergence since in 2026  WW3 has to happen and Cochren develops Warp Drive by 2063.

It would be a nice moral dilemma to have to help the outbreak of WW3 to save the future. Kind of like in "Yesterday's Enterprise", just way more lifes at stake.

I have no problem them recasting a "young" Guinan, but this character portrayal does not match Guinan at all (and IIRC, Time's Arrow's Guinan did not show any different character than 24th century Guinan).

As little as I like the Raffi character, she has good chemistry with Seven. Those were some fun scenes.

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Edit: Ok, I just finished the ep and I think the best explanation is that the writers hated Time's Arrow as much as everyone hates Time's Arrow. I'm totally fine with that.

And there was a DS9 Bell riots eps deep joke on a newspaper headline that made me laugh out loud. Did anyone else catch that? 

I was horrified when going back and reading up on "Time's Arrow" that it somehow got rated one of the best Trek stories. I always felt it would've been fine as a mid-season 2 parter but not season finale as it was presented. Of the cliffhanger Finales it is by far the weakest

James

Edited by J.H.

I can buy 2024 Guinan being just shattered by a century and a half of shit going on just destroying her (Remember that in Trek, The Eugenics Wars would've also happened in the 90's, so that's another tens of millions dead), along with of course the Sanctuary Zones existing in this timeline.  Course she would also be sitting through WW3 in a couple years and all the post-war shit that didn't get fixed fully until near S1 Discovery (If I recall right, a good portion of Earth was still utterly fucked up during Enterprise time.)  

I'm thinking we're really getting a "City on the Edge" route that it's not some massive event that needs to happen, but one little thing one of the crew does ends up butterflying time and they have to realize what it was.  I'm thinking its either the Doctor that Rios has been interacting with or her son that's the tipping point.  

Well, there's our Gary Seven reference.  *AND* a Eugenics War reference.  We're getting some deep cuts this season.

Yeah, leaving Agnes alone with the Borg Queen was a GREAT idea, Jean-Luc.  

EDIT: Sumbitch, Q's an evil genuis.  This is every Trek Time Travel story rolled into one.  Q's not fully trying to screw up the Europa mission, he's screwing with Soong to prevent WW3 (since ECON was basically some leftover zealots from the Eugenics War).  Robert was right, they do have to ensure WW3 happens, Renee Picard is a distraction.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

It better be a damn good story!

I swear if we get a sequel story to Insurrection I' gonna be pissed!

What I want are he goddam space bugs from "Conspiracy" to finally invade!

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Brent Spiner has played what? 5 generations of Soongs atthis point and all of them have... well... BATSHIT CRAZY~!

Crazy is in their DNA apparently which kinda shows an argument against Eugenics.

In other news, enjoyed this week's episode

James

• Like 1

I'm skipping over all of the other pages because I just started watching this last night. Here is basically what I texted my friend who is a big Trek fan and has watched Picard and has been bitching about it:

"Dude, I just watched the first episode of Picard. The fuck am I watching? Why are these characters fucking dumb? Oh god. Alison Pill is in this? WTF is happening?!? Why are they pretending like Soong never existed and neither Picard or Pill are mentioning him? They're just acting like Data was this magical gift to humanity. Picard also defended Data when he was on trial. This is bad. None of this shit makes sense. It's the most hand wavy bullshit I've seen in awhile. The writers have to have zero knowledge of TNG."

"LOLOLOL BORG CUBE DRAMATIC MUSIC THERE IS ANOTHER DATA DAUGHTER"

"Watching the intro to episode 2 - HAHAHAHAHAHA Written by Akiva Goldsman. That explains SO much."

There were texts from him back that said, yeah, the beginning of Picard, or most of the first season in general, makes little sense and is bad. So is that an accurate assessment? I mean, I don't love Trek and am basically a casual Trek fan, but if even someone like myself remembers episodes where Picard stood on trial for Data and they met descendents of Noonian Soong, then there's a huge fucking problem with the writing on this show if the writers don't know that. It's either that, or Picard is a synth and these are all false memories, but given the quality of the writing I've seen so far, the writers aren't savvy enough to pull that off.

Seriously. The fuck is going on with this series and the writing? Why or how could it be this bad or ignorant of anything that happened in TNG. These TV series always have a bible that they go by and this one feels like some CBS CSI/other evening drama bullshit where they're just making whatever up. Does any of this start to make sense as the series goes on?

My friend did say to stick with it because it gets better in season 2 and even Alison Pill has some really good moments in season 2.

Welcome to Kurtzman Trek.

Although, the writers to bring up some shit that Trek fans (like the Red Letter guys), totally handwave away themselves (like forgetting all of DS9 and Voyager happened).  

But yeah, S1 takes the first half to get going, then gets better.  S2 is a love letter to every Trek time travel story ever, but has some DEEP lore cuts so if you're not heavy into Trek some of it might go over your head.