DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

I've been watching Prodigy and it's a lot of fun. My nephew is enjoying it as his entry into Trek. 

And speaking of Trek cartoons, Lower Decks is my favorite Trek since DS9. It's really great, funny, and such a love letter to Trek. It's not " Rick and Morty" Trek despite the adult rating and the show runner's background. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:44 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

And speaking of Trek cartoons, Lower Decks is my favorite Trek since DS9. It's really great, funny, and such a love letter to Trek. It's not " Rick and Morty" Trek despite the adult rating and the show runner's background. 

This is what has me most afraid to catch it, but my brother and many others seem to enjoy it while most who I have seen decry it hate all new Trek and haven't bothered to watch even an episode. Will probably try to catch some of it soon along with Prodigy. For that matter S4 of Discovery started today so I might as well check it out as well.

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to S2.

I did run through Lower Decks back in November/December. Ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Only started on Prodigy last week. Its solid though probably felt the least Trekish with its opening two-parter. Its interesting seeing them focused on the Delta (and maybe Gamma?) quadrants. There is so much to explore with both due to how little the Federations has explored them even with Voyager.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about S2, because Trek has more misses than hits when time fuckery is concerned. 

I’d have to break that down to agree, given some of franchise’s high points involve time travel. 

also, show set in present = cheaper budget you’d expect. 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Y’know what? I still really like Discovery. Burnham is basically the Federation’s ideals made flesh and it feels like every character is basically a scientist. Totally down my alley.

I agree completely. It's not perfect, but that's on some of the writing and some just not so great episodes. Y'know. Star Trek.

And yeah, Discovery was a Science vessel that was plunged into adventure. Thus a crew of scientists and a bridge crew we know almost nothing about. Seriously, can we get some more about the Bridge crew and less Book and his cat?

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, that looks dope. Picard is making up for the generally bad TNG Movies. First Contact is the best one, but alot of it kinda stinks. Alfre Woodard did all the work and Farmer Hoggatt got all the credit? Fuck that.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

Happy to see Q and Guinan back, couldn't tell if that was Alice Krige returning as the Borg Queen? She did voice her in Lower Decks, so maybe it's her. 

If they're back in our time, looks like Brent Spiner is playing Data's human maker? Looked like Q maybe gave him a schematic or something?

I'm hyped, it'll be dumb and fun, which is all I ask for in my Trek.

• 3 weeks later...

Rewatched "Far Beyond The stars" and damn if it isb't anexample why Avery Brooks was awesome as Benn Sisko. If there is one character that desrves more closure to his fate it is Ben Sisko. Hell I'd be interested to see what happened to Jake for that matter.

James

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A 10 episode "Best of Both Worlds"... alright, let's go.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion they're sneaking in Mirror Universe fuckery.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I LOVED the first episode. Not gonna spoil anything but as soon as John DeLancie appeared my heart swelled with joy.  
I don't think there's going to be any mirror universe stuff . This is an alternate Q reality / time travel story with a Borg team up.

• Like 2

Much like the first episode of season 1 I enjoyed the S2 episode a great deal. Hopefully, it doesn't go downhill until the last few episodes rebound it again. If anything after watching this episode, it made go back and rewatch "The Inner Light" because all the talk between Picard and Guinan about lack of a personal life made me think of his time as Kamin.

James

Edited by J.H.

At some point, I'm waiting for them to explain how 2 People that washed out of Starfleet got high profile assignments within a year other than "we helped stop a Reaper Invasion".  

I was really happy to see actual variety of ships and not 100 copies of the same one that we got in S1.  They even snuck in some STO designs.  

So if it's totally Q created and not Q just shoved the crew into the Mirror Universe, are we instead getting a more indepth take on "City on the Edge of Forever"? Just with it being 2035 instead of 1935?

Dug the first episode quite a bit. It was nice to see most of them land on their feet.

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

At some point, I'm waiting for them to explain how 2 People that washed out of Starfleet got high profile assignments within a year other than "we helped stop a Reaper Invasion".  

They didn't wash out. That would be more of an academy thing. They were fired with seemingly political motivations involved. 

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

I was really happy to see actual variety of ships and not 100 copies of the same one that we got in S1.  They even snuck in some STO designs.  

That was so nice to see. Feels like we haven't seen that many different ships since the Dominion War.

Some more thoughts...

1. I've talked about how strongly I react to musical cues in other posts in other topics and this episode was just rife with them. I had to pause a few times to clear my tear soaked vision
2. Man, you can't just say there is a Starfleet vessel named for an original TOS crew member and not show the damn ship
3. The graduation ceremony has so many familiar flags behind Picard. Are these Federation/Starfleet member organizations OR representing the races of the graduating class?
4. Using Picard's mother as a point of reference is interesting, as we haven't seen since season 1.
5. LOVE The new Stargazer!
6. Who knew the Borg were such fans of the art of Georgia O'Keefe?
7. I really get the feeling this season is about Borg + Q + Mirror Universe given how the episode ends
8. Hearing John Delancie as Q is like slipping on a pair of old slippers that you only just recently found after many years. "The Trial never ends..."

James
  • Like 3

Man, the look Stewart gives when Picard is totally lost about what's going on and he hears the "An interesting question, Jean-Luc."  Q's arrival is just perfect.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, Raziel said:

Man, the look Stewart gives when Picard is totally lost about what's going on and he hears the "An interesting question, Jean-Luc."  Q's arrival is just perfect.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, J.H. said:

8. Hearing John Delancie as Q is like slipping on a pair of old slippers that you only just recently found after many years. "The Trial never ends..."

Absolutely agree, in fact I want to break down the small scene where Q returns, because they did SO much right in such a short time.

• They have background music that is reminiscent of The Shining, a high pitched continuous whine that puts your teeth on edge.
  • Q's second line "Mon Capitan" instantly gives you the viewer, PTSD on Picard's behalf, knowing what he has been put through by Q before.
  • Sir Pat's slow realisation with the perfect camera angle to see his facial expression is perfect. He even looks like he might faint for a second.
  • Deepfake Young Q doesn't look terrible, and they only do it for the shortest time possible, knowing to keep the uncanny valley to a minimum.
  • It's also very effective in shocking the viewer that now Q can look like this with merely a snap, and the way he says "Now we're even" provokes a malevolent superiority that only a being like Q can have over mere mortals and their tiny lifespans.
  • "Q, Goddamn Q!" No explanation needed, just so good.
  • John De Lancie matches it with such a menacing look, he looks at Picard like we would look at an ant, wondering why they haven't invented fire yet.
  • "The trial never ends" The ultimate throwback, complete with trademark eyebrow raise.
  • Finishes up with a rotating of the camera angle to foreshadow a mindbending narrative is about to occur. Oldest trick in the book, originates from German Neo-expressionism of the 1920s, the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari et al. 
  • Slight smirk and that music builds up to finish. 

Amazing scene. 5*. Clearly I really enjoyed the episode.

• Like 3

The crew: Kirk had Spock to time travel.  I know, let's use this Borg Queen!

Me: Did any of you assholes bother to look for your fucking sentient android friend?

• Like 1