Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Star Trek: Picard - SPOILERS ENGAGED


Recommended Posts

Just finished the first episode of Picard. Its the best thing I've seen from Star Trek since Deep Space Nine, and that is coming from someone who doesn't particularly dislike stuff like Voyager, Discovery, or the recent movies (actually enjoyed all of them to some degree though memories of Voyager are extremely vague). I like that its a smaller, more personal story while still feeling like a big deal. Its also nice to see a Star Trek show just generally pushing forward time line wise. Interesting that it kind of pulls and ties in just a pinch to the first reboot movie with some of the background info and history introduced. So looking forward to how this plays out.

Also neat apparently Stewart formerly invited Whoopi for S2 on the View.

 

Edited by Eivion
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 10:16 AM, Eivion said:

Just finished the first episode of Picard. Its the best thing I've seen from Star Trek since Deep Space Nine, and that is coming from someone who doesn't particularly dislike stuff like Voyager, Discovery, or the recent movies (actually enjoyed all of them to some degree though memories of Voyager are extremely vague). I like that its a smaller, more personal story while still feeling like a big deal. Its also nice to see a Star Trek show just generally pushing forward time line wise. Interesting that it kind of pulls and ties in just a pinch to the first reboot movie with some of the background info and history introduced. So looking forward to how this plays out.

I fully agree with that. The combination of nostalgia to see the old characters back (for now only Picard and Data, though more people were announced for guest appearances), finally (after all the prequels and reboots) pushing the narative further down the time line and the greatness that is Patrick Stewart alone make this better than what has been done with Star Trek for a long time.

There are some stylistically interesting choices. Clothes etc. look much closer to current styles than the pyjama-futuristic stuff Star Trek was going for for a long time, for example. On the other hand, Star Fleet uniforms seem to be the same as they were in DS9 (or, I suppose, Voyager).

Also, has there ever been a thing like newsmedia in Federation territory in a Star Trek show before?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Picard Starfleet uniforms are basically the DS9 jumpsuits with popped collars (for some reason) and a lil' divot below the neck "v"

As to the show.  It was worlds better than Discovery, and promoting it as a serialized story from the get go made it easier to get into.  I still say Trek should be episodic, but if you're doing a one-off series built around a character, serialization is fine.  It's literally Trek-adjacent, not Trek proper.

My only real problem was

Spoiler

The disposability of Dhaj.  Introduction is getting assaulted, dead by act four, basically forgotten by the end of the end of the first episode.  Not a great look.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My first question while watching Picard was

 

  Hide contents

what about Lal?

 

Spoiler

Lal was a "failed experiment".  Her brain shut down because Data himself couldn't even get the positronic brain right.  I'm going to take a swing that the Twins are created from the bit of Data that survived in Befour that the not Allison Pill Doctor managed to get before 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 5:20 PM, Bustronaut said:

The Picard Starfleet uniforms are basically the DS9 jumpsuits with popped collars (for some reason) and a lil' divot below the neck "v"

As to the show.  It was worlds better than Discovery, and promoting it as a serialized story from the get go made it easier to get into.  I still say Trek should be episodic, but if you're doing a one-off series built around a character, serialization is fine.  It's literally Trek-adjacent, not Trek proper.

My only real problem was

  Hide contents

The disposability of Dhaj.  Introduction is getting assaulted, dead by act four, basically forgotten by the end of the end of the first episode.  Not a great look.

 

Spoiler

I can see writing Dhaj's death as fridging, but she was far from forgotten or disposable.  I'll buy used as a plot device for Picard to come out of his self-pity party and remember that he's Jean-Luc fucking Picard, but at the same time, Dhaj's arc sets the stakes.  A Romulan Black Ops team was operating on Earth under Starfleet, and Section 31's, noses, and their out to take out Data's offspring.  Yes, they succeded with one, but it was enough that Picard is not one to let that lie and is going to bring those responsible for her death to justice come hell or high water because that's who he is.  He also has the driving force now that he's aware of a second daughter.  It's not blowing off Dhaj's, as she's the reason he ended up in the Cybernetics lab and learned of Sholj's existence.  Picard can multitask, saving one and avenging the other pretty well.  especially if he's going to end up bring Seven and Raffi along for the ride to do the heavy lifting.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Picard:

Spoiler

Thank god, I thought for a second Kurtzman was going back to the "Section 31 is evil" well again when it's just a Romulan Super Secret society that infiltrated and corrupted the head of Section 31. 

 

I am gonna say, not a fan of the language.

Edited by Raziel
Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, it's not that Language is an issue for me, but it feels REALLY out of place for Trek, even though the two uses of Fuck were actually kinda correct.

It is funny how much they've tossed around shit though when it was played for laughs in Generation when Data did it, and every Damn and Hell Spock did in Voyage Home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Raziel said:

Picard:

  Hide contents

Thank god, I thought for a second Kurtzman was going back to the "Section 31 is evil" well again when it's just a Romulan Super Secret society that infiltrated and corrupted the head of Section 31. 

 

I am gonna say, not a fan of the language.

To be fair

Spoiler

Section 31 is semi-evil. Was that Section 31 infiltrated or just Starfleet Intelligence? The entire point of Section 31 is that they are clandestine despite being officially ratified at the Federation's start. They shouldn't really have normal offices and be so openly talking to Starfleet leadership. It was one of my biggest dislikes in Discovery's S2. While this idea leans kind of close to Section 31 i don't dislike the idea of a secret society dedicated to stomping out AI. 

I'm kind of torn on the language. The lack of foul language has always felt a weird. At the same time its used so rarely that it feels even weirder when its actually used. Hopefully they don't go too far with it. 

Edited by Eivion
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

To be fair

  Hide contents

Section 31 is semi-evil. Was that Section 31 infiltrated or just Starfleet Intelligence? The entire point of Section 31 is that they are clandestine despite being officially ratified at the Federation's start. They shouldn't really have normal offices and be so openly talking to Starfleet leadership. It was one of my biggest dislikes in Discovery's S2. While this idea leans kind of close to Section 31 i don't dislike the idea of a secret society dedicated to stomping out AI. 

I'm kind of torn on the language. The lack of foul language has always felt a weird. At the same time its used so rarely that it feels even weirder when its actually used. Hopefully they don't go too far with it. 

Spoiler

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more it just being plain ol' Starfleet Intel since it's a Commodore running it and there's direct talk, and they weren't using the black badges.  Also, since Rizzo is Romulan in disguise, I'm guessing she's had surgery done to appear human and the Vulcan Commodore is one of those clone dupes that Shizon was.

Romulans hating tech enhancements doesn't exactly jive with their fucking with a derelict Borg Cube though...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to watch Picard until there's more episodes so I don't have to pay for CBS AA for that long. Regarding the language, I'm guessing they're taking a cue from Discovery and the language in it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but hearing cursing in a Star Trek TV show did feel weird at first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Raziel said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more it just being plain ol' Starfleet Intel since it's a Commodore running it and there's direct talk, and they weren't using the black badges.  Also, since Rizzo is Romulan in disguise, I'm guessing she's had surgery done to appear human and the Vulcan Commodore is one of those clone dupes that Shizon was.

Romulans hating tech enhancements doesn't exactly jive with their fucking with a derelict Borg Cube though...

 

Spoiler

The last scene seemed to indicate that the point of them being in the cube is to locate more Borg cubes, presumably to destroy them. I assume the story here will turn out to be "don't play with fire" or so.

One thing I found interesting, was that in the argument between Picard and the female Admiral, they treated Starfleet and the Federation as being one and the same, terms to be used interchangeably. I suppose you could put that on both being Starfleet for their whole adult lifes, but that was one of the big points of DS9, that there is a huge distinction (Sisko's son and father were often used for such arguments / stories).

 

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raziel said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more it just being plain ol' Starfleet Intel since it's a Commodore running it and there's direct talk, and they weren't using the black badges.  Also, since Rizzo is Romulan in disguise, I'm guessing she's had surgery done to appear human and the Vulcan Commodore is one of those clone dupes that Shizon was.

Romulans hating tech enhancements doesn't exactly jive with their fucking with a derelict Borg Cube though...

 

Spoiler

Seems less about hating tech and more about hating tech that can gain a mind of its own and try to kill them. Also seems to be a specific group opposed to the whole society. Said group just maintains a decent amount of power and have likely been killing any Romulans who tried to create artificial life. I do find it odd they would allow working with Borg Cube derelict or not, but it might have been a necessity with what happened to Romulus.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you on that. It's a "hey look at how close Picard is with this person who you've never met before" play. Unsure of the new guy so far too, but-

Spoiler

Him having an emergency medical AND an emergency navigation hologram (with different accents) is a cool nod to Voyager's doctor, and probably will come into play as someone said above.

Enjoying it so far, I'm watching it on Amazon prime in the UK, are we all on episode 3 worldwide? I already spoiled some of it for myself by going to IMDb, so don't do that.

Edited by King Leonidas Of Sparta
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...