DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Why would anyone bother? It seems pretty obvious that the Wilpons will just string potential buyers along, then demand to retain control of the franchise even after they sell. . . .. 

A) they want to be a baseball owner

B) they want a NY TV Station

B is the sticking point because the Wilpons think someone would agree to take the team without getting the network which is comical in this day and age (especially when teams now sell for more than a billion)

• Like 1

So MLBPA will be counter-proposing with

89 game season (at 100% prorated salary of course)

The carrot they are using is that they will agree to the expanded 16 team playoff for this year AND next year (and we haven't even touched on that proposal yet)

The would also agree to "broadcast enhancements" during the season and post-season (I have to assume that means being mic'ed up)

Also they would agree that non-high risk players who choose to sit out would not receive service time (basically players who have family members at high risk as one example)

Reportedly - if this deal was agreed upon - season would start July 10 and go through Oct 11. (They are trying to do it so MLB playoffs start right after the NBA finishes)

Of course all of this is mute if both sides refuse to blink on the prorated salary part

Torii Hunter said a few days ago that he had a no trade clause that would prevent him going to Boston because he had been the victim of racist harassment on many occasions (similar to Adam Jones from a year or two ago)

Some in the Boston media where all DIRTY LIAR! NO RACISTS IN BOSTON!!!

So the Red Sox today

FWIW, Rob Manfred said on ESPN last night "unequivocably, we will play baseball in 2020."

The owners are going to counteroffer the last PA proposal with what's supposed to be a "significant" move in their direction.  But they're reserving the right to set the schedule at 48 games. 

This is going well.  

• Haha 1

I like that the owners seemingly  have a strategy of offering less and less games and less and less money and concessions, like, you know, fucking testing players and what not. 

These owners are like the worst hagglers at garage/yard sales. 

• Like 2

You just know the Daily News or Post is going to have him in the movie make up whenever he does something good in like 5 years. 

Anyway, the Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick has said the quiet part out loud and says there should be a salary cap with revenue sharing.   Even if this season does happen, there will not be baseball in 2022.  

• Like 1

With more and more players calling owners on their bullshit about how NO ONE MAKES MONEY IN BASEBALL~!

There is no way there isn't a work stoppage in the next couple of years

• Like 2

And to continue that theme - the owners are expected to offer their counter-proposal today

It won't have 100% prorated salaries so there is no sense talking any of the rest of the details

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Today is the 50th anniversary of Dock Ellis' LSD no-hitter so everybody get smacked and try something amazing.

If you haven't watched it, check out "No No" on Netflix.

And when you're done with that, watch the Battered Bastards of Baseball. It's completely unrelated to Dock, but it's still a great baseball documentary.

Reading between the lines - it appears Sunday is the deadline before MLB will just impose the 48 game season length

Mainly because the new proposal is 72 games and that 'they only way the can play that many games" is if a deal is done by Sunday

So clearly its either impose the season length or just continue to do bad faith negotiations until there is only time to have a 50 game season

MLBPA has - to the surprise of no one - rejected the owners latest offer.

They also will not counter and basically said "Give us the plan by Monday"

Basically, the players have decided to take the PR victory and will try to make the owners pay in the CBA negotiations (I say try because they rolled over the last agreement so who knows what the fuck they will actually agree to in the next one)

Of course I am sure there are many who will say the players should have always taken whatever the owners said and shut up and be happy. These are the people who call sports talk radio

EDIT - Oh and

Should MLB implement a schedule, the union is expected to file a grievance that the league did not fulfill its obligation to play the most games possible, sources told ESPN. The March agreement says the league should use "best efforts to play as many games as possible, while taking into account player safety and health, rescheduling needs, competitive considerations, stadium availability, and the economic feasibility of various alternatives."

• Like 1

At least the Cubs won the World Series before baseball ate itself. I was ready not to watch at all this year due to the Astros bullshit. Now I just think I’m done for the long haul. 

if I’m the players I’m discreetly talking to the minor league teams the MLB are killing and offering to play a limited season during the inevitable missed season in 2022. Give those local fans something fun.

• Like 3

Jesus Christ.... The side that proposed the same thing three times is accusing the other of bad faith negotiating. 

Always.  Side. With. The. Players.

• Like 7