DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

MLBPA proposal (which won't even be considered by the owners)

• 114 game season. Starts June 30. Runs through end of October
  • Expanded playoffs (the only thing the two sides agree on). Expanded playoffs would be for 2020 AND 2021 seasons
  • An opt-out clause that will allow a player to sit out the season (for players who are "high-risk" or have family members who are. It is different for everyone else)
  • Players would received $100 MM advance (to go along with the $170 MM deal that the players get paid if season is cancelled. That $270 MM would be factored into any salaries for any  games actually played
  • There is a second pool of salary that would be deffered if the postseason was cancelled. That money would come from players making over $10 MM

You can read the full details (including things like how that opt-out clause would possibly work) - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/mlbpa-makes-2020-season-counter-proposal-to-league.html

That all sounds perfectly reasonable.  I can't wait to hear *every* sports anchor in America say, "tHeY'rE aLl MiLlIoNaIrEs fIgHtInG oVeR mOnEy AgAiN!!!!" when the owners reject this out of hand. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this almost as bad of a deal as the previous one they were offering? Since for someone like Mike Trout if you’re only playing 1/3 of the games you’re contracted for you’d only get 12 million of your yearly salary. 

I have to go back and look but I think the March deal already agreed upon is that the players would get all their money - just it wouldn't all be paid out this season.

And going by those two tweets - Trout would still get his full money but it would be a little more on the Bobby Bonilla scale

Okay - misread that - yeah - technically yes the players would get less money (its why they (the players) want 100+ games). 

So now the thinking is - IF (big if) an agreement is reached - it will be around the 80 game mark

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - misread that - yeah - technically yes the players would get less money (its why they (the players) want 100+ games). 

So now the thinking is - IF (big if) an agreement is reached - it will be around the 80 game mark

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I thought it was easier to ask you what was going on instead of just stating an opinion, and being incorrect. 

Oakland finally was shamed enough that they announced that they are reversing course and will pay their minor league players through the end of August (which was the end of the minor league season)

• Like 3

Those of you who think there will be a season need to give up on that

MLB made another offer - MLBPA thinks it is worse than the last one

Following the league's proposal of a 50-game regular season to return to play, Major League Baseball submitted another offer to the players union Monday. 

According to ESPN's Karl Ravech, the offer included a 76-game schedule ending on September 27th and 75% prorated salaries. The offer also includes playoff pool money and the exclusion of draft pick compensation signing players.

The offer did not go over well with the players. Per The Athletic's Evan Drellich, the MLBPA considers this offer worse than the previous 50-game offer because of risk-sharing for the postseason.

If a second-wave of coronavirus cases prevents the 2020 postseason from taking place, players would only receive 50% prorated salaries, which would be a 25% salary cut on top of an initial 25% salary cut. 

Since players are seeking 100% prorated salaries, their distaste with the league's latest offer is not all that surprising. Also, according to CBS Sports' Mike Axisa, each of the last three offers MLB has made ends in the same salary reduction for the players.

The union has stated several times they will not negotiate further salary cuts beyond the agreement they made in March for prorated salaries based on the number of games played in 2020. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nationals/report-mlb-makes-76-game-proposal-players-mlbpa-considers-it-worse-prior-offer?refresh

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

As much as I love baseball...I hope both the players and owners both suffer huge hits due to this bs that affects them for years. Let's call it a market correction lol 

Fuck that. Let the owners get fucked. Players are the reason this game is worthwhile. I think that if you have figured out how to make enough money to purchase a major league sports franchise, you are sitting pretty. Yes, you are making less than you are accustomed to right this second, but that is none of my concern. 

I don't buy a ticket to watch Arte Moreno play CF, so he should probably shut the fuck up about whether or not games get played. I'll listen to what Mike Trout has to say on the matter. If the players get handed a proposal that makes sense to them both financially and with caveats to keep them and their teammates healthy, I'm sure they will get to playing baseball. 

Until that point, I'm really happy to see them telling their bosses to fuck off. I just hope that sports media doesn't go out of the way to push a "how dare they" narrative as it relates to the players. Both sides are trying their best to come out on top, so any fault for there being no baseball should be shared between them.

• Like 4

Oh... And this is fun.  Bruce Beck on NBC4 here in NY (and who is nothing but a mouthpiece for owners) has just floated the idea...

If no agreement comes, supposedly the current CBA allows the owners to institute whatever plan they want. 

He left out the part where the players would probably instantly strike.  Then strike again after the '21 season when the current CBA ends.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If no agreement comes, supposedly the current CBA allows the owners to institute whatever plan they want.

That's not exactly accurate

The agreement in March gives Rob Manfred the ability to set the season length at whatever (which is basically however long the owners want to pay pro-rated salaries at). That is why the owners keep proposing such short seasons (48-50 games). Because more games = more they have to pay players (since said March agreement gives players 100% pro-rated salaries)

They still would have to agree on all the matters like service time, health and safety, etc....

So its not a open blank check to do whatever they want.

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

NJ Devils and Philadelphia 76ers owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer are now kicking the tires on buying the Mets.

Why would anyone bother? It seems pretty obvious that the Wilpons will just string potential buyers along, then demand to retain control of the franchise even after they sell. . . ..