DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

The latest plan that's getting floated is:

Starting in early July (maybe late June)

100 games 

One time realignment to three geography based divisions

Slightly expanded playoffs.

It is clear that they are using Bob Nightengale to trial balloon their more extreme ideas

To further expand on that one rumored plan.

The geography based divisions would be in Florida, Texas and Arizona. The divisions would combined as such: Easts in Florida, Centrals in Texas, Wests in Arizona. The only tweak to this would be that the Pirates would play in the East and the Braves would be in the Central for... reasons

Obviously they would only play each other. There is also a hope - that while they would start in these places everything would be well enough that at some point during the season, the games would be played in home parks.

There would be most likely be universal DH for the season

There is no explanation for what "expanded playoffs" are and the usual they would need testing to be widely available and for medical officials to approve the plan. Oh and convincing all the players to live in isolation.

And because things don't suck enough - Trey Mancini revealed that it is Stage III colon cancer that he has

He just started 6 months of chemo.

He is expected to make a full recovery and to eventually also play baseball again

• Sad 1

Oh also of note, two fans sued MLB because they were not allowing their teams to issue refunds for the games that have already been missed (because they are considered Postponed, not Cancelled).

MLB has now changed their policy and will allow teams to issue refunds at their discretion.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The geography based divisions would be in Florida, Texas and Arizona. The divisions would combined as such: Easts in Florida, Centrals in Texas, Wests in Arizona. The only tweak to this would be that the Pirates would play in the East and the Braves would be in the Central for... reasons

Pittsburgh is a lot further east than Atlanta so someone at MLB finally understands geography! The Buccos should have never been placed in the Central to begin with.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

MLB has now changed their policy and will allow teams to issue refunds at their discretion.

Now they should refund me my motherfucking money for MLB.TV and if they get a season off the ground, they can charge me whatever the prorated amount should be, like how they start offering discounts at around the ASG.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Now they should refund me my motherfucking money for MLB.TV and if they get a season off the ground, they can charge me whatever the prorated amount should be, like how they start offering discounts at around the ASG.

Glad I made sure to cancel before the season started. 

Real sad, and what that means in turn is that every LL sanctioned league on Earth will not be playing baseball this year. Fucking bummer. It was supposed to be our eldest's first year in AAA, and the first year of tee ball for our 4 year old.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Glad I made sure to cancel before the season started. 

Excellent work on your part. Congrats, I guess?

Edited by grilledcheese

Yeah, I had no interest in cancelling. We don't fuck with cable TV, nor does the system in our area carry SportsNet LA. I want to watch the Dodgers in the most trouble-free manner I can. That entails MLB.TV and a VPN, and fuck all their bullshit blackouts. So I had zero concern about the auto-billing, but now that there is no season, and what season might happen is going to be truncated, I just figured they would try to not be hella bitch-made about taking money for some shit that isn't happening. That isn't the case.

Fuck 'em anyway. I'm the moron that keeps paying them, so I have to come to terms with that. If I could cut a deal direct with LAD and cut the league out, I for fuck's sure would. All I truly care about is the LAD feed. There isn't some pairing of announcers out there that make me pine to hear them call a game against the Dodgers, so why do I give a shit that I have access to all that?

Oh, I take that back. I also want the ambient sounds feed back as well, but they stopped supporting that in all but the Roku app , I think.

Just learned that the legendary Dalko passed away on the 19th of last month. Many of you have probably no idea who he was, but smart money has it that he threw the highest velocity fastball of any pitcher since Smokey Joe Wood. Unfortunately, they didn't have any way of accurately measuring the velocity of a fastball during Dalko's career, but those who saw him pitch swear that he routinely could throw over 105 m.p.h.  Control of both his pitching and his behavior were a constant problem for Dalkowski, who despite his freakish ability was never able to crack the majors due to his alcoholism and generally belligerent attitude. He remains one of the great "What if?" stories of baseball.

Some years ago I was at the World Fantasy Convention in CT, and a friend and I stepped out to attend a meeting of a 12-Step group to which we belong (there's lots and lots of drinking and parties at these things, so I try to stay grounded by catching a meeting or two, besides which, it's always cool to see how similarly/differently they do things in different regions of the country. Anyway turned out that this was a speaker's meeting (wherein one or two people tell their story for the entire hour) and the gentleman speaking was a former professional baseball player, (obviously, I can't violate his anonymity by giving out his name). During his talk he mentioned having just been to see an old friend from his playing days at a local nursing home. The man he was visiting had drank himself into a state that is called "wet brain", basically where one has destroyed so many brain cells that in effect they've developed symptoms similar to profound mental retardation. He went on to say that the man he visited didn't recognize him, pretty much had no recollection of the last thirty years, but was cheered by someone coming to visit even if he had no idea who they were. He went on to say that despite never making it to the Show, this man was generally credited with having the highest velocity fastball in the history of the game with some fellow players estimating that at his hardest he was hitting close to 110 m.p.h. (To give you some perspective,  Randy Johnson, who stands 6 '10 has been clocked at 105 m.p.h., this gentleman stood about 5 '10 and wasn't particularly pumped up.) 

After the meeting I approached the speaker and said, "There's only one player in the history of the game since Smokey Joe Wood that could throw that hard, you've gotta be talking about Steve Dalkowski!" He smiled and said, "You know your baseball, yeah, I was visiting Dalko. He has no idea who I am and most days doesn't know who he is, so it's one of those but for the grace of God things, it could just as easily have been me if I hadn't quit when I did."  We chatted a bit more about baseball, sobriety and some Dalko stories. Certainly one of the most unique talents to ever play the game, had he been able to stay sober it's frightening to imagine what he may have been able to accomplish, an average-sized guy who threw harder than Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson. Sadly, the drinking and fighting kept him in the minors for the duration of his career. One truism of baseball during the 1950s and 1960s was that you could be a foul-tempered asshat as long as you were a consistent performer, but the combination of erratic behavior and erratic play wasn't going to get you very far. Dalkowski couldn't or wouldn't control himself long enough to get a trip to the majors. After a so-so career plagued by off-field antics and fights with team-mates Dalko wound up bouncing around as a migrant worker. In 2009 he was voted in to the Shrine of the Eternals, where last year the fastest pitcher I've ever seen (J.R. Richard) joined him.

Matt Keough - former As pitcher - passed away at the age of 64

He was an All Star as a rookie and also won Comeback Player of the Year once.

I know it was posted elsewhere but since it is baseball related

I think we all need to prepare ourselves before watching it

• Like 2