DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

Fucking boooooooooooooo. As much as I want to be watching real, meaningful baseball right now, I wish they would just fucking stop. You are talking about sequestering these guys for months on end, now they want to realign. Let's just not play baseball this year, huh?

The only nice thing I will say is at least they are matching clubs that already share a facility. LAD / CHW, CLE / CIN, AZ / COL, SD / SEA, TEX / KC. Florida teams don't share facilities though, with the exception of MIA / STL and HOU / WAS. If they could keep everyone in one location and limit exposure to the outside world, it could work. But how on Earth do they think they are going to keep any of these people disease free? If one person gets it, the whole complex sharing a space with them is fucked, right? I admire the notion of looking for solutions, but sometimes you have to just decide you can't get something done.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 3

Again - it is just another idea kicked around that got reported on.

And it is Bob Nightengale who reported it so I really wouldn't think about it too much

• Like 1

What no one seems to be talking about with all these plans to get the season started is what about the need for guys all the way down the line? MLB guy gets hurt, AAA guy replaces him and so on down the line. If you restart baseball at the MLB level, so then does MILB have to follow.

I just don't see any safe way to do it. Likely, neither does anyone else, but I understand not wanting to be the guy that says we should shut it down.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 7:03 PM, grilledcheese said:

What no one seems to be talking about with all these plans to get the season started is what about the need for guys all the way down the line? MLB guy gets hurt, AAA guy replaces him and so on down the line. If you restart baseball at the MLB level, so then does MILB have to follow.

I think the plan there is to have a limited pool of extra players using the training fields at the spring complexes to stay ready for that circumstance, but nothing beyond that for MiLB.

OOTP Baseball is teaming up with MLB.COM/MLB Network to do a Dream Bracket tournament. 32 all-time teams (one team featuring the best players from each MLB franchise, along with a team of Negro Leagues all-time players, and an U-25 team of today's stars). The games will be simmed (some presented on MLB Network's twitch channel starting monday)

(and if you're an inveterate gambler, draft kings will let you play daily fantasy sports with this tournament.

AL (to be played/simmed on April 20th)

Twins vs Blue Jays
Athletics vs Rays
White Sox vs Royals
Orioles vs Astros

(Will be presented live on twitch/MLB.com during the 20th)
Red Sox vs Rangers
Yankees vs Mariners
Negro Leagues vs Indians
Tigers vs Angels

NL (to be played/simmed on the 20th/21st)
25-Under team vs Phillies
Cubs vs Mets
Braves vs Marlins
Dodgers vs Padres

(to be presented live on twitch/mlb.comd during the 21st)
Reds vs Nationals
Pirates vs D-Backs
Cardinals vs Rockies
Giants vs Brewers

they're with the Nationals. Here's the combined Nationals/Expos roster

NATIONALS

Pitchers: Steve Rogers, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Dennis Martinez, Gio González, Pedro Martinez, Jordan Zimmermann, Jeff Reardon, Sean Doolittle, Chad Cordero, Drew Storen

Starters:
? Gary Carter
1B: Ryan Zimmerman
2B: Jose Vidro
3B: Anthony Rendon
SS: Trea Turner
LF: Tim Raines
CF: Andre Dawson
RF: Vladimir Guerrero
DH: Bryce Harper

Bench: Tim Wallach, Larry Walker, Juan Soto, Moises Alou, Howie Kendrick, Wilson Ramos

They're taking on the Big Red Machine in Round 1.

No Rusty Staub on that list is unfortunate He was only there three years (plus part of 1979), but they were great goddamn years, but it's not like you are going to make the call as your backup RF in his favor over Walker. Maybe Alou, but Alou had good years in MTL, and more of them to boot. Alou also gives you the bonus of being able to play all three OF positions, so I get why he's there.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

Fuck, I didn't pay attention and only saw the last game of Cleveland/Negro Leagues and it was kinda a blowout.  At least Game 7 was.  Tigers/Angels up next, and yes, I'm starved enough for Baseball that I'm watching this.

EDIT: Or, we're getting Game 7 or Natipos/Reds.

Edited by Raziel

Rob Manfred is expected to announce that starting May 1 teams will be allowed to furlough or cut salaries of non-uniformed personnel (coaches, scouts, executives).

This doesn't mean they will just that they can.

The White Sox already announced that everyone will get normal pay through at least the end of May

Derek Jeter announced he will be forgoing his salary indefinitely and that other high ranking Marlins officials are taking pay cuts.

Expect several stories in this vein over the next 24-48 hours