DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

The weather outside is probably cold and gross wherever you are.   But, here's the good news... 

Baseball is back baby! P&C report tomorrow morning.  Here's the best way I can think of to start this out, by saying "Fuck the Mets"

• Haha 2

Joel Sherman's report on the radical overhaul MLB wants to do to the playoffs has me wheezing

MLB is seriously weighing a move from five to seven playoff teams in each league beginning in 2022, The Post has learned.

In this concept, the team with the best record in each league would receive a bye to avoid the wild-card round and go directly to the Division Series. The two other division winners and the wild card with the next best record would each host all three games in a best-of-three wild-card round. So the bottom three wild cards would have no first-round home games.

To use the AL last season as an example, the Astros with the best record would have received the bye. The Yankees, with the second-best record, would have had the choice to pick from among the Rays, Indians and Red Sox. Boston had the worst record of that group. Would the Yanks pick them or avoid the baggage of a series with their rival? It would create a ton of strategy and interest, and this is what MLB wants to sell. The Twins would then pick next as the other division winner, and then the A’s with the best wild-card record would play the team not chosen by the Yankees or Twins.

Also

Also, there would be no more tiebreaker 163rd games. To make the regular-season more meaningful, the team that won the season series against its opponent would benefit whether that is to have the top seed or to simply be the final wild card. Thus, if two teams finish as the fourth wild card and both have 84 wins, then the team that won the season series will get into the playoffs.

Full thing in all its stupid glory is right here https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-plotting-playoff-expansion-with-reality-tv-twist/

• Like 1

My interest in baseball waned hard after the Cubbies won the World Series but I don't even think I'll bother with October baseball if they instituted this shit. I love the sprint of a post-season compared to the slog that is other sports' playoffs. 

Not surprisingly - the MLBPA came out and said this was the first they were hearing about any changes to the playoffs. They would be more than happy to discuss any changes but nothing formal (or informal for that matter) has been presented to them.

And, also not surprisingly, several players have already expressed... let's call it displeasure with the report.

This really comes across as either

A) Hey! Forget about the Astros and the fucked up Mookie Betts deal! OH SHINY!!!!

or 

B) The "leak it to a reporter to judge reaction and when it is shit on claim that the report is false"

I will also accept a little bit of both

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In 2017 - KC, Tampa and the Angels all finished 80-82

Two of those three teams would have made the playoffs in the new format (I wasn't bothering to look up the tiebreaker)

Tim Marchman found the secret tiebreaker plans:

Sounds good. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I've said it so many times before, but Manfred may be the dumbest commissioner for any major sports league. The comparison I always make is that he's Homer Simpson designing that car, but he just keeps rolling it back out with different parts painted and trying to say it's improved.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I've said it so many times before, but Manfred may be the dumbest commissioner for any major sports league. The comparison I always make is that he's Homer Simpson designing that car, but he just keeps rolling it back out with different parts painted and trying to say it's improved.

Being dumber than Roger Goddell is quite an achievement. 

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I dont think Bettman is stupid. Just incompetent at running hockey.

Pretty much this. Manfred is wholly incompetent. At the same time, I have no doubt that he'll somehow Mr. Magoo his way through avoiding a lockout.

Rule Changes are finally official

- 3 Batter minimum for pitchers (both for the pitcher who starts the game and RP)

- Rosters are now 26

- Sept Rosters are now 28 players - max 14 pitchers

- There is now a Two Way Player Designation (call this the Ohtani rule). Basically if they qualify, they don't count against your pitcher limit (there is a lot of rules around this)

- Position players can now only pitch starting in the 9th inning or if his team is winning or losing by 6 or more runs

- IL goes from 10 days to 15. The option period for pitchers has been expanded from 10 days to 15 days

You can read everything - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/mlb-rule-changes-2020-season.html

for the first time in many, many years i will have evenings and nights off work, and i am quite looking forward to following baseball again. can somebody school me on the mlb.tv service?

price, quality, can you just follow one team? how are blackouts determined (i'm a tampa bay fan living in iowa so feel like this shouldn't be a major issue). just looking for info before i decide if i wanna sign up