DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I sure as hell hope MLB will cover their rent otherwise guys will be living in their cars

That was my thought, I imagine $400 a week just on food in Nashville is tough enough, meaning that you are probably doing McD's for one meal a day. 

It would seem that that specific game is a zero percent chance (since based on reports - the AL East would not play the NL Central)

That being said - I think MLB was leaving it up to the individual teams regarding tickets so you are better served contacting the Cubs instead of MLB (assuming that isn't what you are already doing)

i'm not even really that angry. just flabbergasted that MLB is dragging its feet like this for no apparent reason. It's been obvious for quite some time that the season wasn't going to happen in its original form. Why are we playing this waiting game?

BTW, yes, supposedly MLB left it up to the individual clubs to determine, but i looked into 5-6 different organizations and they all had, word-for-word, the exact same announcement and policy. so i don't buy that whatsoever.  Thanks @Hamhock, i hadn't heard that they started the June refunds yet. 

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i'm not even really that angry. just flabbergasted that MLB is dragging its feet like this for no apparent reason. It's been obvious for quite some time that the season wasn't going to happen in its original form. Why are we playing this waiting game?

BTW, yes, supposedly MLB left it up to the individual clubs to determine, but i looked into 5-6 different organizations and they all had, word-for-word, the exact same announcement and policy. so i don't buy that whatsoever.  Thanks @Hamhock, i hadn't heard that they started the June refunds yet. 

I would imagine it went down like this:

Club A to MLB: Can we get away with this wording and policy?

MLB: You sure can!

Club B to MLB: What do you advise?

MLB: Here's a dandy form letter we found somewhere...

• Like 1

Okay - more details

Schedule breaks down like this

40 games vs your division (so 10 games each)

20 games vs. geographic counterparts (so 4 games each; East vs East, Central vs Central, West vs West)

Regular season will start July 23 or July 24

Camps actually begin on July 3 but players have to report by July 1 at the latest (due to the need for testing)

Yes there will be Universal DH for this year

Players will be able to opt out of the season, but only those who are at high risk of contracting the coronavirus (or living with a high-risk person or pregnant spouse) will be able to do so while earning full and service time,

And MLB reserves the right to move a team to a neutral site if necessary (and that goes for the regular season and playoffs) due to safety concerns

Jesus Fucking Christ - MLB really needs to announce the fucking details so the fucking writers stop contradicting each other

Apparently in those 20 games vs. geographic counterparts - 6 of them will be RIVALRY GAMES~! (so Yanks vs. Mets, Cubs vs White Sox are the easy examples)

How the fuck the rest breaks up - shrugs

I mean using the Easts it is usually

• Yanks vs Mets
  • Nats vs Os
  • Rays vs Marlins
  • Red Sox vs. Braves (because of WELL THE BRAVES USED TO BE IN BOSTON~!)
  • Jays vs Phillies

But even those last two could change - who the fuck knows

But basically - the Nats are really fucking happy with who their rival is

And on btw - doing a 6 game RIVALRY~! fucks the math because that leaves 14 games against 4 other teams - so 2 three game series and 2 four game series????

Cubs and White Sox is fucking boring and overplayed. Hell, they even reduced the amount of games against each other years ago. There's no point in continuing that for this year. It was cool or interesting in the late 80s and 90s. The "BP Cup" they introduced right after one of the worst environmental disasters caused by BP was peak hilarity for the entire series. A cup that means nothing and neither team gives a shit about sponsored by an oil company that fucked up the oceans and environment. Really fucking cool...

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

All of the interleague rivalries are boring

I'm still trying to figure out why Houston and Seattle are supposed to be rivals, there is a little matter of 2000 miles separating the fanbases. Actually, as I've said before, the best thing about moving to New Mexico was that I no longer have to pretend to give a fuck about the Mariners. Lord knows, nobody else does.

• Haha 1

Because someone has to be "rivals"

That has always been the problem of MLB pushing the NY vs NY, Chicago vs Chicago, LA vs. LA, Oakland vs San Fran narrative

Because everyone else needs a dance partner

I am sure sports will magically get an exemption but NY/NJ/CT has just placed a 14 day quarantine on anyone entering the states form "high coronavirus rate" states

So - just going by face value - the Rays and Marlins would each have to quarantine for 14 days before playing the Yanks and Mets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That has always been the problem of MLB pushing the NY vs NY, Chicago vs Chicago, LA vs. LA, Oakland vs San Fran narrative

Why do you hate the Battles of Ohio and Florida, Phil?  Oh...right.  Well...never mind.

Interleague in general can go the fuck away.  I get the point of it as it was intended - so fans in Miami or whatever can see Mike Trout, for example.  But it's tired now and building in the fake rivalries has not exactly done anything positive.  

But I mean, on the list of bad MLB ideas, I'm not sure Interleague cracks the top 10.  So...yay?

• Like 1

MLB - making sure they take every fucking opportunity to shoot themselves in the dick - are apparently still going to blackout games

Remember - you can't physically attend the games but you better fucking live in the market if you want to watch

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well, the M's logical rival would be the Brewers, who were Seattle's team before the M's were a Japanese billionaire's wet dream. But I guess the Astros will do, though the power balance there is like watching Dr. D. throw a couple of cruiserweights around.

Not surprisingly - the Jays are asking the Canadian government permission for them to play in Toronto (and thus allow teams travel in and out of the country)

They are expecting a decision in a couple of days

If the answer is no - then the plan is Spring Training in Dunedin with Buffalo as the backup

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Not surprisingly - the Jays are asking the Canadian government permission for them to play in Toronto (and thus allow teams travel in and out of the country)

They are expecting a decision in a couple of days

If the answer is no - then the plan is Spring Training in Dunedin with Buffalo as the backup

If the government gives MLB a travel exemption for teams to come into Canada, the Jay's would have a prime "bubble", with teams coming from their jet to their bus and into the the hotel located in the Roger's Centre, with little to no contact with the outside world.

I have a feeling they will get it because I also learned today that they basically already gave the NHL an exception if they decide to use a Canadian city as a "hub"