DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SPRING TRAINING FOREVER

Dolfan in NYC

I'm amazed that I got to this point, but I genuinely don't give a shit if they have a season or not.  My favorite show growing up was This Week in Baseball.  I spent more time practicing/playing baseball in high school than I did in school.  

It's been a long process, going back at least to 1994, but I just don't care anymore.  If they play this year, I might show my T-ball age son a game or two to point out how things work, but that's about it.  The bastards have worn me down.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

I'm amazed that I got to this point, but I genuinely don't give a shit if they have a season or not.  My favorite show growing up was This Week in Baseball.  I spent more time practicing/playing baseball in high school than I did in school.  

It's been a long process, going back at least to 1994, but I just don't care anymore.  If they play this year, I might show my T-ball age son a game or two to point out how things work, but that's about it.  The bastards have worn me down.

...because we can always use more ska, don't let the bastards grind you down

• Like 3

Several players and staff have tested positive for COVID in the last week

This was - supposedly - leaked by the owners to AP and it has become another thing that the players are pissed about

Also per one player agent (so take that for what it is worth) - they are more than 8 owners who don't want the season to happen (23 of 30 owners need to approve any plan that Manfred sets)

I mean its not really that hard to get a rough idea what teams those are

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also per one player agent (so take that for what it is worth) - they are more than 8 owners who don't want the season to happen (23 of 30 owners need to approve any plan that Manfred sets)

I mean its not really that hard to get a rough idea what teams those are

They can’t possibly be the big market teams can they (Both NY teams, Boston, LA Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia, and two others probably Houston as one)? ?

It does seem oddly appropriate that after what happened in 1994 that the last World Series champions (for the moment) would be the former Montreal Expos.

Edited by MavsFan77

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Cubs are definitely one because Tom Ricketts keeps claiming poor

I’m sure Boston is one for the same reason. Oh we can’t keep Mookie Betts, because it’s not economically feasible despite us selling out 81 home games a year, and charging outrageous prices for everything fans buy at/around our stadium. I love the team, but I’m tired of them claiming they can’t afford players.  

44 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I'm thinking its the teams at the other end of the spectrum, the A's and what not. This was they can go "bankrupt" with step three being profit.

Good point. Oakland, Tampa, maybe San Diego would make sense using that theory. Actually I’m not sure the AL East wouldn’t lost two of its five teams with that since Toronto could feasibly be one of those teams too. 

2 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Good point. Oakland, Tampa, maybe San Diego would make sense using that theory. Actually I’m not sure the AL East wouldn’t lost two of its five teams with that since Toronto could feasibly be one of those teams too. 

Which is silly, since Rogers Communications is one of the bigger companies in Canada and posted a revenue of $15B in 2019 and is currently valued at about $20B (pre-Covid was around $25B). There's literally no excuse for them to not be one of the biggest spenders in baseball, especially when 2015/16 proved that Canada will get wholly behind winning baseball (full Dome, huge TV ratings). They love claiming poor in regards to the Jays, so I wouldn't put it past them to try and use this situation to their advantage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Cubs are definitely one because Tom Ricketts keeps claiming poor

Tom Ricketts sucks so he's for sure in that camp. Also, anything for Ricketts to get closer to the end of Theo's contract.

A ton of guys today tweeted "Tell us when and where."

I should note that one player on Twitter did point out, it's still too early to only schedule 50 games and he expects a "miracle" will be claimed in a week or so where they announce the schedule.

Per other reporters - basically MLB is sending a new proposal to the MLBPA that already has a lot of stuff worked out

Supposedly the following has been agreed to

• The players will receive pro-rated pay
  • the league will get an expanded postseason,
  • players will waive any potential grievance to seek additional compensation.

Based on nothing but that last point - it really sounds like the players rolled over... again

• Like 2

Eh... don't be too sure about that. Today's meeting was apparently called at Manfred's request.  But whoever writes up the breakdown here is really going to have to be someone who does not care about "access" because I'm sure there's a TON of ugliness on both sides. 

• Like 1

We are clearly into the splitting hairs part of the negotiations as Manfred says that a "framework to a deal" is in place

Reportedly the proposal MLB is sending will be for a 60 game season and that is expected to grow to 65 as the finalize the deal