DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

When a spike tombstone piledriver on the ramp is blown off (to site one example), you've got some problems.

If I remember right, there was at least a little time before he was back up after that, which allowed for the massive pop when he got back into the mix. 

I thought the selling that was there was done very well and part of why I loved the match, as someone who stopped watching nxt after someone took multiple head kicks while handcuffed only to pop up and win. The storytelling in this tag was great stuff.

Southeast North Carolina you say?

The Exalted One is clearly Tatanka. It makes perfect sense that he would parlay that million dollar corporation money into a pyramid scheme. And ain’t no one buying Advocare these days.

EDIT: Shit thinking this through they should go all in on the pyramid scheme and have Evil Uno do Facebook Live videos.

”HEY Y’ALL...I got some unbelievable stuff to sho....Hey Stu!I see you, thanks for joinin’...”

Edited by For Great Justice

19 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Southeast North Carolina you say?

The Exalted One is clearly Tatanka. It makes perfect sense that he would parlay that million dollar corporation money into a pyramid scheme. And ain’t no one buying Advocare these days.

I'm pretty sure Tatanka blew his corporation money a long time ago, hence his 2005 return.

Rewatched the tag match... Was that the first time in the US somebody got over the one count correctly? Some people don’t realize that when you kick out after one, it’s because the opponent hit a move disrespectfully. In this case the Bucks sarcastically hit the Golden Trigger on Kenny to set him off for a brief moment before Matt & Nick hit him with the superkicks.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Page was out for 3 full minutes after that tombstone on the ramp.  Legitimately.  I just checked.

That's long enough.

Being ‘Out’ is the most simplistic selling there is if it’s wiped away as soon as the guy gets up. If it doesn’t effect Page is any way as soon as he recovers, it’s not great selling. That’s what selling is. It’s the accumulation of damage during a match. It’s what precludes you from re-editing a match and there being no way of telling. 
And to be clear, I pointed to the tombstone as an example.  This also applies to the poison rana, the table spot, the piledriver, the pop up German, the motor city machine gun finish and so on. It didn’t matter in terms of the story being told.

How great was the Pac avalanche tombstone tease by the way? Just watched Hokuto break her neck taking that move the other week and of course Pac has hit it in DG. Great tease. The fucked up part of me half wants him to hit it one day but then again OC won a match directly after taking an avalanche piledriver. 

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

Being ‘Out’ is the most simplistic selling there is if it’s wiped away as soon as the guy gets up. If it doesn’t effect Page is any way as soon as he recovers, it’s not great selling. That’s what selling is. It’s the accumulation of damage during a match. It’s what precludes you from re-editing a match and there being no way of telling. 
And to be clear, I pointed to the tombstone as an example.  This also applies to the poison rana, the table spot, the piledriver, the pop up German, the motor city machine gun finish and so on. It didn’t matter in terms of the story being told.

Yeah, it’s completely ridiculous like when a football player takes a hard shot and has to be helped off the field and then comes back in after a couple plays and makes a big play. It happens all of the time and in other sports too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a guy being incapacitated for a few minutes, recovering, and then getting back in the battle. It’s a realistic scenario and allows the match to continue on in an exciting fashion.

• Like 2

I don't think that's a reasonable comparison as a football player getting the wind knocked out of them and making a big play aren't getting hurt in that way 10 plays in a row. This match had a lot of those sorts of plays.

If you like action, action, action this is a match you will love a lot.  I'm not saying you can't or even shouldn't. But to me, it falls short of the action mattering to the narrative.

I didn't get to watch live so I'm very late, but this was an awesome show (though, I too was pretty worried one of the women in the title match were gonna fuck themselves up good). I really am not sure what the answer is there. The division has been the one weak point of what has otherwise been the most exciting promotion for me since '97. Everyone's got their strong points - Britt's been cutting great promos, Nyla has an awesome look, Kris has a cool gimmick, the Joshi ladies can all work their asses off - just no one so far seems to have all of those things together. 

Everything else, and I mean everything else, was off the charts. That tag match was, I agree with those who said it, probably the "culmination" of what the house style is. I read a blurb that it's the highest rated AEW match by cagematch users so far, and I'm hard pressed to argue. 

Amazing tag team match between Kenny Omega/Hangman Page and the Young Bucks, a MOTY contender and there's a case for it as the best match in AEW history with the 30 minute Omega/PAC Iron Man match and Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Rhodes. Bastard Pac vs. Orange Cassidy was a lot of fun too, that entrance by Cassidy. From wherever, weighing whatever. The styles of both were well worked. Speaking of entrances, Chris Jericho's with the choir introduction of Judas was well done.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So... A miracle happened: Jim Cornette liked the tag match. Not loved, but liked it.

Of course, Orange Cassidy caused him to rage quit the ppv...

Between the Wendy's and all the pent up rage, how has Corny not dropped dead of a heart attack yet?

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wouldn't worry about him. He won't drop until he fulfills his stated life goal of pissing on Russo's grave. 

Admittedly, that is something to strive for.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wouldn't worry about him. He won't drop until he fulfills his stated life goal of pissing on Russo's grave. 

He'll have to get in line. They're gonna need a life guard at that funeral.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2020 at 12:08 PM, Goodear said:

I don't think that's a reasonable comparison as a football player getting the wind knocked out of them and making a big play aren't getting hurt in that way 10 plays in a row. This match had a lot of those sorts of plays.

If you like action, action, action this is a match you will love a lot.  I'm not saying you can't or even shouldn't. But to me, it falls short of the action mattering to the narrative.

I like the Celtics.  Paul Pierce left the court in a wheelchair in a finals game. He later returned and made a bunch of shots to win the game.